Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Member
    An original "Jakes do nothin worm" produced some of the biggest fish that I caught when I lived in Florida
    2023 Triton 18TRX
    2023 Mercury 200 Pro XS
    80# Ultrex IPilot Link
    Helix 12 Mega SI & Garmin Livescope w/ 1242XSV GPSmap

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by G4bama View Post
    An original "Jakes do nothin worm" produced some of the biggest fish that I caught when I lived in Florida
    ...I think you might be confusing baitmakers and product....I believe Jack Chancellor had or promoted the "original" do- nothing worm but I'm sure each region has its knock-offs...Jakes was a Bait manufacturer in St. Cloud Florida - The start of Producto lures (Jakes Tournament Worm) and he never had a "do-nothing" worm that I am aware of and he was a friend....

3. Member
    Zoom Mag Speed Worm
    1/16 - 3/16 tungsten slip sinker
    5/0 Owner Offset worm hook
    50lb Braided Line
    MH Rod - 7’+

Works from the Big O to Champlain
    BassCat Cougar FTD / Mercury 250 ProXS
    Lowrance / Garmin

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Philly View Post
    it works best from the time the males start showing up around beds (high 50’s to low 60’s water temp) all the way through post spawn. It can also be REALLY good in early Summer when the Bass start keying on Bluegill beds.
    Works well at night too, especially if not using a black light. Much easier to detect a strike than hoping it off the bottom.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 191 champ View Post
    Works well at night too, especially if not using a black light. Much easier to detect a strike than hoping it off the bottom.
    Slowly swimming a worm is a good technique on really windy days too for the same reason.

6. Expert at Retired RangrSkipr's Avatar
    I love fishing a weightless worm. But once it's out of the target zone I pull it out of the water and crank it back to the boat on top as fast as I can to cast back to target. Guess I've been doing it all wrong. Never really swam a worm and when somebody mentioned almost burning it all I was thinking was line twist. Thanks for the pointers. I like the small weight ahead of the bait thing but I've never understood the use of a split shot thing either. . . ever. Doesn't this just create a weak damage kink in your line?

7. Member
    Use a spinning reel with swivel. Use a weightless zoom trick worm. If you can find the zoom sherbert trick worms they are deadly in water above 55 degrees. Fish it just like a weightless fluke. One advantage of using brighter colors is you can watch it all the way back to the boat. You will see the fish grab it and run.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Five1Niner View Post
    I love fishing a weightless worm. But once it's out of the target zone I pull it out of the water and crank it back to the boat on top as fast as I can to cast back to target. Guess I've been doing it all wrong. Never really swam a worm and when somebody mentioned almost burning it all I was thinking was line twist. Thanks for the pointers. I like the small weight ahead of the bait thing but I've never understood the use of a split shot thing either. . . ever. Doesn't this just create a weak damage kink in your line?
    When I'm throwing a split shot rig I don't pinch lead on my line. I use a bobber stopper and a peg it to keep my weight from sliding. I always thought it would weaken my line to pinch a split shot. I always referred it as a baby carolina rig. I generally use a 1/8 or 3/6 ounce weight.

9. Member
    You will get a little line twist, but if rigged straight, it’s not bad. Swimming worms, such as a culprit will also not twist as bad, the tail seems to work kind of like a keel.

Another tactic I’ve used, is to use a medium dive crank kind of like a jerk bait when twitching on top. Cast, let sit, twitch…….you get the picture.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Perry View Post
    I wouldn't swim a UV Speed Craw or Magnum Speed Craw either.
    You forgot this emoji Mark.
    Woody

11. Member
    You can fish a Speedworm weightless to Buzz the surface or on top of Dollar Pads for some amazing strikes. Big and Small both smack it.

Slow Buzz one over close together pads and let it drop off the edge.

Use a 1/16 to 3/16 Bullet Weight pegged and swim it changing the speed until you find the right pace for that day. Usually and slow roll will do the trick.

Then you can also Hop/Drag them on the bottom if you so choose.

Once your worm gets ripped at the hook, save the end for a Great Trailer on a Jig/Spinnetrbait/Chatterbait.

I use both a EWG or Regular 5/0 Worm Hook.

Zoom Ultra Vibe Speedworm.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dylevan View Post
    Use a spinning reel with swivel. Use a weightless zoom trick worm. If you can find the zoom sherbert trick worms they are deadly in water above 55 degrees. Fish it just like a weightless fluke. One advantage of using brighter colors is you can watch it all the way back to the boat. You will see the fish grab it and run.
    Try it with a baitcaster, works much better.

13. Expert at Retired RangrSkipr's Avatar
    Ok. Next opportunity it's a hot pink trick worm, 1/16 slip sinker with stopper and swivel on a bait caster.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JStratosB View Post
    Zoom Mag Speed Worm
    50lb Braided Line
    MH Rod - 7’+

This guy swims worms

Bitters bait also makes a great swimming worm in some off the wall colors.

15. Member
    I have used baitcasters and spinning. IMO, a spinning set up will cast and skip a weightless trick worm better. A baitcaster is easier to get the correct action.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JStratosB View Post
    Zoom Mag Speed Worm
    50lb Braided Line
    MH Rod - 7’+

Yup
    Brad Krone

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123