Recessed foot pedal tray design opinions

I haven't been able to find a tray that will fit the front of my RT178c. The angle in the front prevents me from using the ones you can buy. I took some measurements and drew up my own. I made a paper template of the top view of the tray. I'm looking for opinions before I send the drawings for fabrication. I don't want to cut a giant hole in the front of my boat or spend money on fabrication to realize I messed up.
    20220216_121012.jpg20220216_121036.jpg20220216_121242.jpgdrawing edited.jpg
    2022 Vexus 1980
    Mercury 150 Pro XS
    Bow: Garmin 106sv & Livescope Plus
    Console: Garmin 106sv
    https://www.youtube.com/@fishnitup

That lower unit has to go. You will be hard pressed to put your foot into that area, as sound and solid as the design is simply because the lower Garmin unit gets in the way. It's a nice setup, but if you are going to do it, you are going to have to redo the GPS bracket, or relocate the secondary lower one.
    - 2020 Bass Tracker Classic XL - SOLD
    - 2024 Lowe Stinger 178
    Mercury 115HP ProXS CT
    Vance 6" hydraulic jack plate
    22P 3 blade Tempest Plus propeller
    NGK Ruthenium plugs
    Garmin Force troller
    Garmin 126SV/93SV/73SV Livescope/ dual GT54 transducers
    DD26 motor toter
    IG: extremeboating

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Extremeboating View Post
    That lower unit has to go. You will be hard pressed to put your foot into that area, as sound and solid as the design is simply because the lower Garmin unit gets in the way. It's a nice setup, but if you are going to do it, you are going to have to redo the GPS bracket, or relocate the secondary lower one.
    I second this. My last ranger my foot caught the bottom of my mount constantly with 2 units like that. It's really annoying on long days. Get you some bal z mounts or something else of quality, so you don't have to worry about that.

4. Member
    Thanks for your input. I wondered how tight it would be when the pedal was up all the way in the front. I put the 7" unit up front but I haven't found a use for it yet. It has stayed off the two trips I have had it on. I think the recess will outweigh the benefits of two units up front.
    2022 Vexus 1980
    Mercury 150 Pro XS

Quote Originally Posted by jm_middleton07 View Post
    Thanks for your input. I wondered how tight it would be when the pedal was up all the way in the front. I put the 7" unit up front but I haven't found a use for it yet. It has stayed off the two trips I have had it on. I think the recess will outweigh the benefits of two units up front.
    I agree. Move that 7" to your console. I run a total of three. Two at the console and one large 12" at the bow. The two on the console have dedicated purposes. One runs fishinder sonar exclusively and the other runs maps exclusively. It's highly useful.

PXL_20211217_214937700.jpg
    - 2020 Bass Tracker Classic XL - SOLD
    - 2024 Lowe Stinger 178
    Mercury 115HP ProXS CT
    Vance 6" hydraulic jack plate
    22P 3 blade Tempest Plus propeller
    NGK Ruthenium plugs
    Garmin Force troller
    Garmin 126SV/93SV/73SV Livescope/ dual GT54 transducers
    DD26 motor toter
    IG: extremeboating

6. Member
    Did you ever ad the recessed foot pedal?? I’m wanting to do the same and havnt seen any follow up. Thanks

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Crappieaddict View Post
    Did you ever ad the recessed foot pedal?? I’m wanting to do the same and havnt seen any follow up. Thanks
    I looked at a couple options for adding a recess to the RT178C. One was having the one I designed made or getting a woo made tray. I tried to get woo to make one but waited almost a year and had no luck. I put this off after seeing the brace I would have to cut through to install it. I finally traded the boat in to upgrade and to get a recess. I had a lot of issues with my back and neck bothering me when I fished a tournament. Now that I have a boat with the recess I have yet to have any issues. I can send you my drawing files if you want to have it made up.
    2022 Vexus 1980
    Mercury 150 Pro XS

8. Member
    I haven't been able to find a tray that will fit the front of my RT178c. The angle in the front prevents me from using the ones you can buy. I took some measurements and drew up my own. I made a paper template of the top view of the tray. I'm looking for opinions before I send the drawings for fabrication. I don't want to cut a giant hole in the front of my boat or spend money on fabrication to realize I messed up.
    20220216_121012.jpg20220216_121036.jpg20220216_121242.jpgdrawing edited.jpg
    Words of warning, make sure you locate, precisely, the aluminum frame underneath thè casting deck. You've probably done it, but, just a reminder. My Al boat is not a ranger, but, with my rig there was no way to install a tray in the center without cutting and rewelding the frame.....so I decided not to do it.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Slicefixer View Post
    Words of warning, make sure you locate, precisely, the aluminum frame underneath thè casting deck. You've probably done it, but, just a reminder. My Al boat is not a ranger, but, with my rig there was no way to install a tray in the center without cutting and rewelding the frame.....so I decided not to do it.
    That was the main reason I didn't through with it. There is a sizable square tube piece of aluminum that you will have to cut through to install a recessed tray.
    2022 Vexus 1980
    Mercury 150 Pro XS

10. Member
    That was the main reason I didn't through with it. There is a sizable square tube piece of aluminum that you will have to cut through to install a recessed tray.
    Since I use my right foot to run my trailing motor 99% of the time I was able to install a tray to the right of center. There was enough space in between two rails of the frame and preserve the integrity of the frame as originally designed. It's worked out A-ok, just takes getting use to the set up.