Can't unlock maps after latest update

I have a 73sv uhd , 93sv uhd and an 106sv. Did the latest update and when I power on the 93 or 73 I get the can't unlock maps error. I'm not running any kind of map cards and all the units are networked. Didn't have any issues before the update. Seems to work fine after I hit ok on the message but would still like to resolve the issue so it doesn't popup.
    2022 Vexus 1980
    Mercury 150 Pro XS
    Bow: Garmin 106sv & Livescope Plus
    Console: Garmin 106sv
    https://www.youtube.com/@fishnitup

Can you please send me a PM with your name, email, and phone number? Will have Support reach out.
    Garmin Pro Team

3. Member
    Same issue with my brand new ultra 126sv and my older unit 93sv plus (don't believe the 93sv had any software update though).
    Setting up the 126sv new at home using the ActiveCaptain app is where it started. I was told by tech support to restart with a new SD card which didn't help, still getting the error.
    I gave up on the 126 and went to update things on the 93sv and now I'm getting the same pop up error message ("Cannot Unlock Maps").

Quote Originally Posted by Omni View Post
    Same issue with my brand new ultra 126sv and my older unit 93sv plus (don't believe the 93sv had any software update though).
    Setting up the 126sv new at home using the ActiveCaptain app is where it started. I was told by tech support to restart with a new SD card which didn't help, still getting the error.
    I gave up on the 126 and went to update things on the 93sv and now I'm getting the same pop up error message ("Cannot Unlock Maps").
    Please send me a PM with your contact info.
    Garmin Pro Team

Mine started doing this a couple updates ago.I just click ok and it doesn't seem to cause any problems

6. Member
    I posted this on an earlier thread my does the same thing. “Cannot unlock maps” when you turn the unit on.

7. Member
    I have been emailing chris at garmin for the past 2 weeks. Just got some free time this morning to give him a call. Im glad i chose garmin. Best support I've delt with. It looks like because i did the free map update before i added one of the other units it caused the error. He had me format my sd card on a pc and then use the unit to make it an active captain card. At this point the error message was gone. I then installed garmin express on my pc. He had me download the entire 2021 map update to my sd card. I will post an update once i try the sd card again.
    2022 Vexus 1980
    Mercury 150 Pro XS

8. Member
    I tested out the sd card and my console unit powered up with no error message. When I powered on my 106sv it said the update is not compatible with the built-in map. I sent all this back to garmin in and email. I used active captain before to only download the map tile with my lake on it. My units powered up fast and the maps where very responsive. With the entire us inland map it takes probably 5 minutes longer for the unit to power up. The maps do not pan well and struggle to load. I will update my post when they let me know what to do next.
    2022 Vexus 1980
    Mercury 150 Pro XS

9. Member
    Issue resolved for me, sort of.
    The issue with me was that my 93sv plus had the LakeVug3 (older) maps and my new 126sv ultra has a USCoastal+g3 set of maps (newer). In my case I just removed the old 93sv maps because I will no longer be using it. I also had to reset the AC app and delete the older maps and DL the new ones, all other data such as waypoints and tracks are kept (it's in the settings and says "reset app").
    It would seem to me that the only way to keep both is to only have 1 AC card for your most used unit but I'm not 100% sure about that. It was mentioned while talking with Garmin.
    Good luck!

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Omni View Post
    Issue resolved for me, sort of.
    The issue with me was that my 93sv plus had the LakeVug3 (older) maps and my new 126sv ultra has a USCoastal+g3 set of maps (newer). In my case I just removed the old 93sv maps because I will no longer be using it. I also had to reset the AC app and delete the older maps and DL the new ones, all other data such as waypoints and tracks are kept (it's in the settings and says "reset app").
    It would seem to me that the only way to keep both is to only have 1 AC card for your most used unit but I'm not 100% sure about that. It was mentioned while talking with Garmin.
    Good luck!
    Garmin has had me make probably 4 or more active captain sd cards. When active captain syncs the one chart data I get the error message. I might try resetting the app and making another active captain sd card.
    2022 Vexus 1980
    Mercury 150 Pro XS