Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Wife is trying to talk me into a pontoon, but....

...instead of a pontoon I like the idea of the Tahoe deck boat better. I know its not a speed demon by any means but it would perform better than an equivalent priced pontoon.

Been shopping the Tahoe 1950 and the more I look into it the more I like it. The hull design seems to have a decent vee-shape that sweeps out similar to a tri hull.

One of the options for the 150 HP motor is the Merc XL Pro XS vs the Merc XL for an additional $1000, it might be worth it in the long run noting the idle charging and extra torque.

I plan on passing on the fishing package for $4k and adding my own trolling motor/electronics, just seems like it's too much to pay for what is included.

https://www.tahoeboats.com/deck/1950.html

There's some general info I've but limited feedback on these boats, I need some to talk me off the ledge or push me over.
    Former Owner of a 2007 Ranger 180 VS 150 2 Stroke Vmax

2. Member
    Tahoe 1950 is $50k

Sun Tracker 20 fishing is $36k

You don't mention if it's just you and friends or a family going out on the lake. In any event, pontoon will have more open space to move around, but be much slower. Tahoe will be faster and have much more power, but more crowded if people are moving around. If it's just 2-3 people, doesn't matter. If there's 5 or more, that space becomes more important...
    1994 Ranger 492VS
    2004 Optimax 225 - 0T920364
    6" Hydro Dynamics Manual Jack Plate
    24p Fury 4
    24v 47" Lowrance Ghost / Lowrance HDS

I’ve owned about every type of lake boat there is and my favorite has always been a pontoon boat.

4. Member
    apenland01 most of the time it's just two of us, but on a one or two occasions a year there may be up to 8 just out for a cruise and other times 4 and two smaller dogs. The Reata gets us around now but is very cramped, obviously. No, we don't put 8 in it

I want to maintain as much fishability as I can and I would think I would miss the ride/speed of a glass boat., I see the most common complaint about pontoons is the wind. I thought this might be a better option.

We'll be towing to different locations a lot more than the average pontoon boat so ease of towing is a concern, including a few trips from Ohio to Florida each year, not to mention a few trips from the central part of the state to Erie, weather permitting of course.

5. Member
    I fish off a buddy's old Fisher deck boat and it's nice to have the room to move around, however, it's setup more like a pontoon, than a fish/ski. Whichever boat you buy, put the biggest engine allowable on it and skip some of the other frills you can add aftermarket...
    1994 Ranger 492VS
    24p Fury 4

6. Member
    apenland01 most of the time it's just two of us, but on a one or two occasions a year there may be up to 8 just out for a cruise and other times 4 and two smaller dogs. The Reata gets us around now but is very cramped, obviously. No, we don't put 8 in it

I want to maintain as much fishability as I can and I would think I would miss the ride/speed of a glass boat., I see the most common complaint about pontoons is the wind. I thought this might be a better option.

We'll be towing to different locations a lot more than the average pontoon boat so ease of towing is a concern, including a few trips from Ohio to Florida each year, not to mention a few trips from the central part of the state to Erie, weather permitting of course.

Based on this second comment, I'd definitely go for the Tahoe. In fact, I'd buck up and get the 2150.
    I've had the opportunity to tow a pontoon several times and I do not enjoy it at all. The Tahoe would be better, obviously when towing. Fishing-wise, yeah you can fish out of a pontoon (I do it in a Ranger 223FC) but I'd rather be in my Z520L.

7. Member
    I would get the pontoon to make the wife happy then use the money saved to buy a used smaller aluminum boat that you can actually fish effectively out of.

8. Member
    Are you keeping the Ranger?

9. Member
    I agree, keep the wife happy and do as suggested, a win win for everyone!
    Quote Originally Posted by bassfisher444 View Post
    I would get the pontoon to make the wife happy then use the money saved to buy a used smaller aluminum boat that you can actually fish effectively out of.

10. Member
    "Are you keeping the Ranger?"

Unfortunately, no, I'll put it up for sale when I find out a delivery date.
    Last edited by Mikeinoh; 03-09-2022 at 04:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeinoh View Post
    "Are you keeping the Ranger?"

Unfortunately, no, I'll put it up for sale when I find out a delivery date.
    Good luck on the delivery date my new Ranger 223f in now due in on 4/5/22 its been 8 months .

12. Member
    We ordered the Tahoe 1950 with a pro xs 150 and our build date is 4-20 (ordered around the first of March). Dealer says expected delivery is mid-May, I'll take that.

Went ahead and ordered the trolling motor I wanted for the new boat, that sounds like it'll be harder to get a delivery date for it vs the boat.

13. Member
    Glad you found what you wanted. I would think you all will be very happy with that package! Congratulations and enjoy!

14. Member
    Glad you settled on a boat! Now the anxious waiting begins lol.....
    1994 Ranger 492VS
    24p Fury 4

15. Member
    Why the small motor?

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bassfisher444 View Post
    Why the small motor?
    I also thought the 175 with lithium battery for $3k made more sense, but didn't want to mention it if there is a strict budget involved....
    1994 Ranger 492VS
    24p Fury 4

17. Member
    IMO you are always going to compromise something if you get a combo watercraft. If you know that up front, don't have the buyers remorse and enjoy what you purchase that's what is important. We have had speed boats, fish/ski, pontoons, bass boats, ski boat, deck boats and currently a tritoon. They were all great during the different stages of our life.
    2005 Triton TR20X-Mercury Pro XS 4.6L V-8 250 HP Serial # 3B378953
    2016 Harris Cruiser 24-2016 Mercury150XL-Serial # 2B232319

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by apenland01 View Post
    I also thought the 175 with lithium battery for $3k made more sense, but didn't want to mention it if there is a strict budget involved....
    Budgetary concerns, yes, after talking about it with the sales rep, and others that have the 175, I felt like $3000 for the upgrade to the 175 from the 150 Pro XS wasn't a necessity for our end use.

19. Member

New Tahoe 1950 Deck Boat w/Merc 150 Pro XS

Took a while (actually the salesman was right on with his timeframe of 3 months) but we took delivery last Friday and spent the weekend on breaking and just cruising around. I have to admit it rides well, handles well, and is a very stable platform. Not a speed demon at 46 mph top end but comes up on plane smooth without any drama. Never had a fuel injected motor before, the 150 Pro XS is quiet and smooth. The front deck has a ton of room to hoist in these giant Ohio bass we hook up with so often.

The new trolling motor is in (RipTide Terrova 80# 60 inch) and I just ordered all the other parts for the install, it came prewired to the rear compartment from the factory with the plug up front on the port side.

The only issue so far is that the livewell and bilge pumps were wired backwards from the factory but the dealer fixed that up in about 5 minutes.
    Attached Images Attached Images

20. Member
    Now are you going to get a fishing boat too?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast