Thread: LIVEWELL ISSUE

LIVEWELL ISSUE

I own a Phoenix and love it. This weekend I went fishing and discovered a problem with one of the live wells annam looking for any help to fix. Both fill and hold water when i turn on aerator BUT when I put the recirculated on the water on starboard side drains out in both manual and automatic position. The well on the port side works but starboard won't hold water when I go to recirculated.
    Anyone have some thoughts before I pull her to a dealer??
    Thanks in advance for your feedback.
    Goobs
    Lake Hartwell
    Phoenix

2. Member
    I would run the recirc and feel around your livewell plumbing in the bilge for a wet connection. Probably a loose hose clamp.
    BCB Puma STS
    Merc 250

My first question would be is there water in the bilge?
    "The handicapped angler"

4. Member
    Thanks for the feedback so far.
    No water coming out the bilge. Once the live wells are full and I go to recirculate the one live well empties out. The water exits thru the holes that water would normally drain whenyoud empty out a well. I don't think there's a issue with bile.
    Goobs
    Lake Hartwell
    Phoenix

Then it is a valve issue

either the cable has come lose and needs to be adjusted or a valve flap needs to be replaced
    "The handicapped angler"

6. Member
    Sounds like they crossed the pumpout pump with the recirculating pump on the switches for that side.

7. Member
    Thanks Mickey for your reply. But when you say "they" ..no one has worked on my boat in fact live wells worked till recently...so when you say sounds like they crossed th pump pump with the recirculated ump on the switches I question if this is the problem. I DO appreciate your reply and hope to fix.
    Goobs
    Lake Hartwell
    Phoenix

here's a question

If you fill the livewell and turn off the pumps does the livewell maintain the same level of water?
    "The handicapped angler"

9. Member
    YES when I fill the livewells it holds water only when I go to recurculate does the one live well drain.
    Goobs
    Lake Hartwell
    Phoenix

Sounds like you have a broken cable or some debris in the Flapper Valve for that side. You'll have to take the valve apart and clear it. I have removed the screen at the rear where the water drains out of and flush the line with a garden hose and was able to clear it, but sometimes you just have to take it apart.
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

11. Member
    Phoenix live well system does not use valves. 3 pumps per well for a total of 6 pumps. 1 each fill, recirc, and pump out. The only way for what the OP described is recirc pump is crossed wired with pump out pump. It would be either at the switch end or the pump end. Harry

12. Member
    Does a Phoenix require you to pull the aerorator nozzle out to initiate the pump out procedure? If so, are one of them pulled out?

13. Member
    sounds like the pump out control valve has something in it like fishing line? easy to take apart and look happened to me once
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

14. Member
    When you solve the problem be sure to let know what it is and how it was solved. Lots of systems like yours

15. Member
    No pump out valves or nozzles. All 3 systems are independent. Fill, recirc, and pump out. In fact all 3 can run simultaneously. To the OP, what happened when you turn on the pump out switch? Does it go into recirc? Harry

16. Member
    MUCH GRATITUDE to all who have replied. I'll keep Y'all posted as i work to fix.
    Goobs
    Lake Hartwell
    Phoenix

17. Member
    For about $40 you can get an endoscopy camera on Amazon that might help you take a look in hard to reach places

Are these the aerator fittings you have? Maybe one is pulled out.

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

19. Member
    Im happy to report the live well is fixed. It was a wiring issue that took about an hour to fix- thanks to all who replied.
    Goobs
    Lake Hartwell
    Phoenix

20. Member
    Would be interested in more detail of what you found. Broken wire? Loose? You said they worked properly originally.