Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Basskicker907 View Post
    So I’m new to my garmin setup but I’ve tried the navigation go to, and maybe I’m expecting too much. But I press go to, graph says do you want to engane tm I say yes and it doesn’t automatically take me to the waypoint. Am I missing something or just misunderstanding the feature?
    After you select engage, then tap the prop icon. It helps to have the TM bar selected to display at the top or bottom of your window
    1994 201 Champ re-powered with a 250 HO G2 E250LHAFA 05438419

2. Member
    I have been waiting 11 days so far, for one plastic part that the lift assist attaches to. They told me July. Used it 10 times and lift assist seized up.
    SMH. This is on a Ghost. Lowrance told me that don't have one anywhere, and have been gracious. Bad thing is that I just bought the active target and the Ghost went down on the first trip out to use it.
    Last edited by FDR80; 06-17-2022 at 08:35 PM.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffreydavisjr View Post
    Why do I think networking is so necessary? Great question...

In my opinion, if you're only using your trolling motor for "spot lock" your not using it to its fullest potential. You pay a premium price for these trolling motors you may as well get every bit of your moneys worth.

An example of a great networking feature: I love having the ability to literally tap on my Garmin map and tell my trolling motor to take me to that exact spot. If I had a Ghost or an Ultrex I couldn't do that. For offshore guys this is great!
    Sorry but that is not correct information. I absolutely can tap on my screen and tell my Lowrance to take me to the waypoint automatically. I can do this from any screen on my boat, and my Ghost is programmed to also anchor upon arrival. This frees me up to rig baits or eat a sandwich while heading to my next waypoint. I also create routes on my screen and my Ghost takes me from spot to spot automatically. By putting a route around a hump I can fish the top of the hump from every angle without touching my Ghost trolling motor. I can program the Ghost to stow with the prop turned in or out so I don't even have to look at the motor or foot pedal when it is time to stow it. There are many more features you can do when you network your Ghost to your Lowrance units.
    ciao,
    Marc

^^^^ I believe what Jeffrey meant was that if HE had a ghost, or Ultrex (rather than a Garmin trolling motor) while running his Garmin units he would lose the function/feature you are describing that you have with your Ghost/Lowrance combo.
    24’Bass Cat Puma Sts-300 Proxs
    23’Gatortrax Gt tunnel hull-200 Suzuki

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by white gambler View Post
    ^^^^ I believe what Jeffrey meant was that if HE had a ghost, or Ultrex (rather than a Garmin trolling motor) while running his Garmin units he would lose the function/feature you are describing that you have with your Ghost/Lowrance combo.
    Thank you for the clarification...wouldn't want people to misunderstand available features of any brand.
    ciao,
    Marc

6. Member
    Bringing this thread back up. My ultrex shaft is split (my own stupidity) and is at the service center for work. Depending on parts availability, I may be considering buying as to not have my boat sit for months. Really having a tough time deciding between the ghost and the garmin. I like the looks of the ghost, and I've heard of less issues with them. I do primarily have garmin graphs though, even though I've never used integrated trolling motor features to the fish finder, I understand that it is a factor for some. Also would like to not have to drill more holes in the boat for the mount, I've heard mixed things on whether it is necessary for either trolling motor.

Hopefully parts are available and I won't have to purchase a new trolling motor, but what would you guys lean towards? I'm leaning towards the ghost but could be convinced otherwise. Thanks.
    2020 Nitro Z20 Pro Package

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mcjenson View Post
    Hopefully parts are available and I won't have to purchase a new trolling motor, but what would you guys lean towards? I'm leaning towards the ghost but could be convinced otherwise. Thanks.
    I would also lean towards the Ghost if not integrating. However, access to good service is always important to me in a troller because at some point they all present with an issue. I have a great MK service centre close to me, and is why I always stick with MK.
    2019 BCB Classic
    Merc V8 200 4S

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by catdude28 View Post
    I would also lean towards the Ghost if not integrating. However, access to good service is always important to me in a troller because at some point they all present with an issue. I have a great MK service centre close to me, and is why I always stick with MK.
    After doing a bunch of research, I’ve decided to go with the garmin. Seems like a quieter, stronger motor than the lowrance, wireless networking with my graphs, cheap adapter plate for my mega 360. Don’t like the cable management/weight/looks as much as the ghost, but nothing is perfect.

Real question is what to do with my ultrex when it’s repaired. Sell that sucker or hang onto it as a backup? Leaning towards keeping it just in case the garmin breaks down.

9. Member
    Be honest they are both real quite but find the ghost to be the quietest hands down and I've experienced the garmin TM before.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bigfoot17 View Post
    Be honest they are both real quite but find the ghost to be the quietest hands down and I've experienced the garmin TM before.
    I'm basing it off of one on the water comparison video. No personal experience, I'm sure both of them are fine though. Main thing that pushed me into the garmin is the integration into active captain, I've been happy with the garmin customer service and functionality, so I will stick with them. Cable management of the ghost almost sold me on it though.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hydro870 View Post
    Don’t sleep on the Ultrex. Jacob Wheeler, arguably the current number one ranked tournament bass angler in the world, attributes his success to not being sponsored by any of the Big 3 and using what he feels is best. He uses a Humminbird and Lowrance at the console and two Lowrance and one Humminbird at the bow. For the trolling motor he tried the Lowrance Ghost but went back to the Ultrex. I am not as good of an angler as Mr. Wheeler nor do I spend anywhere close to as much time on the water as he does using electronics and trolling motors. Most pros are using the trolling motor brands that sponsor them, take their opinions with a grain of salt. I pay close attention to the ones who are not sponsored, especially if the pro is really really good. At the end of the day, all the competition is great because it forces every brand to improve their products for the consumer, just look at how much better all these motors are vs 10 years ago. We are spoiled if we think any of them are not great.
    I believe his choice to run the Ultrex has more to do with using livescope. Friend of mine who fished against and is still in communications with Patrick Walters states that his preference is the same. It has to do with the head unit instant response and better tracking of where the livescope is pointing. I do appreciate that Jacob runs what he wants to run and doesn't have ties to sponsors (in that area).

I ran the Ghost for about a year before selling my last boat and loved it. It is a great trolling motor and at the time I could have purchased anything. Liked the stationary head unit, cable management, efficiency, pairing with lowrance graphs, and power. My boat was wired for 24V and I always thought a 36V would have been better suited. With the Ghost in 24V, going to 36v was never in question again. Incredible power in 24V.

2018 LEGEND 211R | 250 MERC PROXS

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by stratos273v View Post
    The ghost runs either 24 or 36 volt, just one of the great options the ghost has.
    The Force does as well...

13. Member
    Got a buddy who put a new Garmin TM on his boat a couple of months ago. He paired it with a new 12" Garmin display and LVS34 Livescope. Have gotten to use the combo for 4 or 5 days of fishing. Love the clarity of the LVS34 but hate the trolling motor foot pedal. Its too quick to turn generating lots of oversteer. Also the foot pressure required to actually turn left or right is way too light. Looked through the Operating Manual, located the tension adjustment screw on the foot pedal but changing the screw setting did little to the issues.

Questions:
    1. Is his foot pedal a lemon or have a problem with the tension adjustment screw function?
    2. Can you adjust the left/right turning speed of the trolling motor shaft?

Over a year ago thought I was going to buy a new 36v spot lock TM. But it seems the Motorguide option has been pretty rocky, Minn Kota has not advanced to a brushless option, haven't yet used a Lowrance and Power Pole may never come to market. If the buddy's Garmin foot control is typical then it won't be on the list of candidates. And this is from someone who made peace with the crappy Motorguide Xi5 foot pedal for a few years!

Thanks in advance for feedback or suggestions for my buddy's boat.
    Last edited by Mdmbbc; 06-23-2022 at 12:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mdmbbc View Post
    Got a buddy who put a new Garmin TM on his boat a couple of months ago. He paired it with a new 12" Garmin display and LVS34 Livescope. Have gotten to use the combo for 4 or 5 days of fishing. Love the clarity of the LVS34 but hate the trolling motor foot pedal. Its too quick to turn generating lots of oversteer. Also the foot pressure required to actually turn left or right is way too light. Looked through the Operating Manual, located the tension adjustment screw on the foot pedal but changing the screw setting did little to the issues.

Questions:
    1. Is his foot pedal a lemon or have a problem with the tension adjustment screw function?

Over a year ago thought I was going to buy a new 36v spot lock TM. But it seems the Motorguide option been pretty rocky, Minn Kota has not advanced to a brushless option, haven't yet used a Lowrance and Power Pole may never come to market. If the buddy's Garmin foot control is typical then it won't be on the list of candidates. And this is from someone who made peace with the crappy Motorguide Xi5 foot pedal for a few years!

That is pretty much the deal. Some like it that way and have no problems and some like me don't particularly like the pedal. The light touch with no good way to stiffen it up and the plastic feel are the two things I dislike about the motor. Mine even makes a little plastic creaking noise as I stand on it. Kinda cheap feeling and that noise bugs bugs me.
    1994 201 Champ re-powered with a 250 HO G2 E250LHAFA 05438419

15. Member

Questions:

Over a year ago thought I was going to buy a new 36v spot lock TM. But it seems the Motorguide option has been pretty rocky, Minn Kota has not advanced to a brushless option, haven't yet used a Lowrance and Power Pole may never come to market. If the buddy's Garmin foot control is typical then it won't be on the list of candidates. And this is from someone who made peace with the crappy Motorguide Xi5 foot pedal for a few years!

Oh god if its anything like the XI5 pedal I will be really unhappy. That motor was the biggest POS ever released to the market, I couldn't get rid of it quick enough. Guessing your buddy got a lemon or something, I haven't heard that many complaints about the garmin foot pedal.

I ordered a Force to put on my new boat because I had Garmin electronics on my previous boat and really like them. I also will be using Garmin electronics on the new boat. I like the how the Lowrance doesn't have the cables all over the place but I have used Lowrance electronics in the past and was not impressed and want everything to play nice together.

17. Member

Questions:

Got my new force out for a day yesterday, everything worked well. I will agree that the foot pedal is light (I may attempt to adjust mine, but honestly toward the end of the day I didn’t really notice it), but I’m thinking your buddy may have gotten a bad one. Mine was nowhere near as bad as my old XI5 pedal, that thing was the biggest pos ever made.

Real question for me now is deciding whether to keep my ultrex as a spare when it gets repaired or to sell it.

18. Member
    I've spent many hours with both units as I have Garmin and buddy has the the Lowrance.

The Garmin is hands down the better unit.

Way quieter...the Ghost is loud as hell.

Way more power...the Ghost feels like it is on 24 volts compared to the Force.

Foot pedal is more robust on the Ghost. But I have gotten good with the Garmin and it doesn't bug me.

Garmin comes with remote ...buddy has to pay for remote upgrade.

Garmin works out of the box. Force needs linking cables to use heading and other features. Garmin is 100% Bluetooth.

While the foot pedal is a bit light and lacking. It is completely wireless. I've trolled on electric lakes sitting in the cockpit.

My buddy has a Gen 1 Ghost, but the mount and servo are incredibly loud and squeaky.

I have to look down and see if the Garmin is working under 50% as there is zero noise and zero flex in the mount.

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rmc949 View Post
    I've spent many hours with both units as I have Garmin and buddy has the the Lowrance.

Foot pedal is more robust on the Ghost. But I have gotten good with the Garmin and it doesn't bug me.

Garmin works out of the box. Force needs linking cables to use heading and other features. Garmin is 100% Bluetooth.

While the foot pedal is a bit light and lacking. It is completely wireless. I've trolled on electric lakes sitting in the cockpit.

My buddy has a Gen 1 Ghost, but the mount and servo are incredibly loud and squeaky.

I have to look down and see if the Garmin is working under 50% as there is zero noise and zero flex in the mount.
    The mount is the thing that impressed me the most about the garmin. That thing is rock solid and very secure when stowed or deployed.

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rmc949 View Post

Buddy should get the ghost checked out. Mine is as quite if not quieter than my friends garmin. Ghost mount is the most solid out there and much more sleek looking. It's built like a tank. Also no need for linking cables either. Took me a half hour to install on the boat and works right off the bat.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast