Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

HAND HELD FLARES

Can't seem to find the answer to this reading up on , How many hand held flares are required to be in boat ?? to be legal

2. Member
    3… I’ll find the NY parks pdf

https://parks.ny.gov/documents/recre...atersGuide.pdf

page 23.
    Last edited by ECobb91; 02-09-2022 at 10:52 AM.
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

3. Member
    tanks

4. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    I keep a flare gun onboard

5. Member
    and make sure to check the expiration dates if your stopped and checked and they have an expired date its the same as not having them........... guess how I know.... lol

6. Member
    I got stopped at cross lake last year and they checked the expiration date of each flare. The sheriff was a great dude. I didn’t have an anchor (sold it 2 days prior since it was too big for my boat) and he caught be running on pad in the Seneca river which I fully admitted to. Just checked my stuff, chatted for a bit, and let me go. All he said was to keep it below 15 in the river and get an an anchor asap. Got lucky with that one for sure. A few other guys they pulled over, not so much
    1995 Ranger 481v

7. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by ECobb91 View Post
    I got stopped at cross lake last year and they checked the expiration date of each flare. The sheriff was a great dude. I didn’t have an anchor (sold it 2 days prior since it was too big for my boat) and he caught be running on pad in the Seneca river which I fully admitted to. Just checked my stuff, chatted for a bit, and let me go. All he said was to keep it below 15 in the river and get an an anchor asap. Got lucky with that one for sure. A few other guys they pulled over, not so much
    not so easy to keep a bass boat on pad at 15 I tell them

Thanks for the post pajoe329. I checked the boat, thought I had some. Nope.

At some point, I must have removed them thinking to get new ones and.... forgot all about it!

Got them now though! Good thing too because I'm headed down to Tennessee next week for 2 weeks of fishing! If I get stopped then I'll be covered!
    No one can be wrong that often so it has to be deliberate.

9. Member
    NY state mandates 3 day/ night flares USCG approve…

Dont forget that big 3’x 3’ flag….

Mercury Pro Team

2017 Triton 20 TRX Patriot
    250 Opti Max Pro XS
    Twin 8' Power Pole Blades
    2 Solix 12 gen 3 , with mega 360

Quote Originally Posted by Murph44 View Post
    NY state mandates 3 day/ night flares USCG approve…

Dont forget that big 3’x 3’ flag….
    "State law requires all vessels, except rowboats, kayaks, and canoes, to carry USCG approved nighttime visual distress signals when operating from sunset to sunrise. It is strongly recommended that all vessels when operating between sunset and sunrise carry nighttime visual distress signals.

Most boats can meet this requirement by simply carrying three USCG approved day/night hand held flares.

"You may also carry" any combination of three-day and three night-approved pyrotechnic devices. Non-pyrotechnic options include an approved electric distress light (for night) or an orange distress flag (for day).

Whichever you choose, all devices must be in serviceable condition and readily accessible."

To me, "You may also carry" means optional as far as a Flag goes.

11. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Bass Tard View Post
    "State law requires all vessels, except rowboats, kayaks, and canoes, to carry USCG approved nighttime visual distress signals when operating from sunset to sunrise. It is strongly recommended that all vessels when operating between sunset and sunrise carry nighttime visual distress signals.

Most boats can meet this requirement by simply carrying three USCG approved day/night hand held flares.

"You may also carry" any combination of three-day and three night-approved pyrotechnic devices. Non-pyrotechnic options include an approved electric distress light (for night) or an orange distress flag (for day).

Whichever you choose, all devices must be in serviceable condition and readily accessible."

To me, "You may also carry" means optional as far as a Flag goes.
    I carry the flag and the flares its not worth the argument

12. Member
    Speaking of Cross Lake, my wife and I took a day trip there last year for the first time. Really beautiful small lake, but I couldn't buy a fish there......

KandKKustomz, you have a good point!
    Last edited by OBT; 02-13-2022 at 01:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jerzia View Post
    Speaking of Cross Lake, my wife and I took a day trip there last year for the first time. Really beautiful small lake, but I couldn't buy a fish there......
    It's a totally different lake from what it was 10-15 years ago, when there were good weeds!

15. Member
    Better off in the river system

Mercury Pro Team

250 Opti Max Pro XS

16. Member
    All boats over 16 ft…except
    row boats kayak. And canoes

Mercury Pro Team

250 Opti Max Pro XS

17. Member
    Last edited by ECobb91; 02-13-2022 at 06:51 AM.
    1995 Ranger 481v

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jerzia View Post
    like Murph said, the fishing is better in the river. I rarely make a cast in the lake, the Seneca is just too predictable. Same with Onondaga I catch majority of my fish in the river to avoid the string grass. For me both lakes/rivers are feast or famine.

the one thing I learned fishing the Seneca river is you really have to move around to find fish. Everything looks good but you can waste your whole day and only move a mile or so just fishing all the cover in front of you. When you do find them, it’s great fishing. During that tourney when I got stopped by the sheriffs boat, I caught over 30 and within a 1 mile stretch. Moved to let it settle back down and I caught 4 in 3 miles of river. Those 4 culled but still.
    1995 Ranger 481v

19. Member
    Each way up/down the Seneca…there are those spots..with in spots..
    a lot of average #2… but 5/6 are around…
    good average Day.. 16/18 pounds have done over 20

Mercury Pro Team

250 Opti Max Pro XS

20. Member
    like Murph said, the fishing is better in the river. I rarely make a cast in the lake, the Seneca is just too predictable. Same with Onondaga I catch majority of my fish in the river to avoid the string grass. For me both lakes/rivers are feast or famine.

the one thing I learned fishing the Seneca river is you really have to move around to find fish. Everything looks good but you can waste your whole day and only move a mile or so just fishing all the cover in front of you. When you do find them, it’s great fishing. During that tourney when I got stopped by the sheriffs boat, I caught over 30 and within a 1 mile stretch. Moved to let it settle back down and I caught 4 in 3 miles of river. Those 4 culled but still.
    Always has been a problem whenever I fished the river, it all looks so good and one can waste so much time slowing down to pick apart, well, nothing.......

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast