Thread: Mend-it recipe

Mend-it recipe

I could be imagining things but i thought 1 of y'all regulars mentioned having your own recipe for mend it. I got a big batch of stuff to mend and would love to mix my own if someone does.
    Denalirods.com
    Solarbat.com

That was me. 1:1 ratio of acetone and clear PVC cement. Be sure to use the clear PVC cement. If possible use a glass container to store it in. An old nail polish bottle works good and it has the brush in the lid. It will keep longer if stored in the fridge.
    Ranting incoherently

Thank you bilgerat! I didn't think i could make that up, ha.
    Denalirods.com
    Solarbat.com

4. Member
    1 part add to cart.
    1 part pay with card on file.

Quote Originally Posted by bilgerat View Post
    That was me. 1:1 ratio of acetone and clear PVC cement.
    Interesting. I've never made it but MEK is what they recommend to thin it with if it gets thick so I would have thought PVC cement and MEK.

Honora Primum Vel Nullum Omnin Honorem

Quote Originally Posted by bilgerat View Post
    That was me. 1:1 ratio of acetone and clear PVC cement. Be sure to use the clear PVC cement. If possible use a glass container to store it in. An old nail polish bottle works good and it has the brush in the lid. It will keep longer if stored in the fridge.
    I’m saving this to my notes for 5-6 years down the road when I finally run out of Mend-It.
    Problem is, the stuff last a long, long time.
    BassCat Sabre FTD
    Mercury 150 Optimax
    "It's just fishing"

Quote Originally Posted by BigFishSteve View Post
    1 part add to cart.
    1 part pay with card on file.

Card on file ?
    Are you new here ?
    " Talking to you is like clapping with one hand "
    Anthrax

Quote Originally Posted by Bryanmc57 View Post
    Interesting. I've never made it but MEK is what they recommend to thin it with if it gets thick so I would have thought PVC cement and MEK.
    I tried that, didn’t work out all that well. My best guess is that the reaction had already taken place and the additional solvent (MEK) threw the proportions out of whack. That’s why I recommend small batches such as a fingernail polish bottle which will do a lot of baits. Once it’s gelled it’s pretty much done.
    Ranting incoherently

I just buy a bottle but if I had pvc cement I’d try it. I did use acetone to thin some gelled, kinda worked.

10. Team Catfish Original hatcreek's Avatar
    I'll vouch for Bill's recipe... It works great. I especially like that it remains pliable after curing.

I mix up enough to fill 2 or 3 small glass vials at a time like (like those below). As long as they have a good sealing cap, I've experienced no problems with the stuff hardening or losing effectiveness.

Who controls John Gill?

11. Member
    Thank you Kenny Rogers. Just made up a batch using your recipe, and it worked like a charm. Now the dealin's done.

12. Member
    I made a batch of this over the weekend and I might as well be brushing water on my baits. I don't know what went wrong but my mixture works nothing like mend-it. Anyone else have an issue and correct it somehow? Maybe use less acetone?

13. Team Catfish Original hatcreek's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CK11 View Post
    I made a batch of this over the weekend and I might as well be brushing water on my baits. I don't know what went wrong but my mixture works nothing like mend-it. Anyone else have an issue and correct it somehow? Maybe use less acetone?

But, yeah... likely too much acetone.

If you shake up a glass container full of the mixture, the bubbles should rise to the top very slowly. If not, it's too thin.
    Who controls John Gill?

14. Member
    Can you just cut a small slice of a Z-man worm and join the pieces together?
    Hang on. I'll help you in 77 minutes.

15. Member
    Thanks, I'll add more cement until I see what you described

Quote Originally Posted by BigFishSteve View Post
    Can you just cut a small slice of a Z-man worm and join the pieces together?
    Mend-It won't work on Elaztech baits. The only thing I have used to repair Z Man's Elaztech baits is heat. I straighten a paperclip hold it over a flame and them repair tears in the Elaztech baits.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

17. Team Catfish Original hatcreek's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CK11 View Post
    Thanks, I'll add more cement until I see what you described

Also, keep in mind that the bond is not instant... I usually let repaired baits cure overnight and sometimes hit them with a second application. Once cured, they remain pliable, and I can't detect any residual odor from the mixture.
    Who controls John Gill?