Thinking about buying a Targa V-18 or V-19

Hi folks, I am seriously considering buying a new Targa V-18 or V-19. I have a 22 ft pontoon right now, but am selling it. I've had it on a lift at a local lake, but sold the property and don't want to trailer the pontoon.

I'd like to hear the good and bad about the Targa's. I've not been able to see one yet, but was able to look at a Pro Guide 175 and liked it. For both the 18 & 19, I'm considering the Pro XS 200. I'm also playing with the idea of getting the Pro XS 225 for the 19, but don't know if the extra cost is worth the mph gain, or even what gain I could expect.

The Targas seem to check all the boxes for me. Outfitted well for fishing, the combos can seat 6 if I want to take some people for a cruise, and can also do the occasional water sports. Plus, the boats will fit in my garage.

This will be my 5th boat. I started with a basic aluminum fishing boat, then went to a bass boat, then a fish & ski then a pontoon.

Thanks!
    Last edited by umpqua98; 02-06-2022 at 09:50 PM.
    Mike
    22SSX Bennington Tritoon w/Yamaha F200

2. Member
    For your use case it would probably serve you well. If I did more multi species fishing I would look hard at one. It would make a great crappie/catfish/bass rig. They make a much better boat to take a ride in if that is your thing and are a lot better at watersports. None of them are speed demons. I would want a torquey motor with a good midrange.

My brother has one with a 225 merc on it and he really likes it. He does everything from fishing of all kinds to pulling the grand kids on tubes and skis.
    1993 Tracker Pan fish 16

4. Member
    I own a 2015 V-18 Combo, I bought it used a year ago. Put 40 hours on it so far. Mine has the 150 FS.

Pros: Roomy interior, wide gunnels, cruising at 40 MPH, handles big water well (lake, bay ocean on a nice day), can fish for multiple species - where I am that includes Bass, Salmon, Halibut, Striper, Sturgeon, rockfish and crab. Very capable for watersports but I've never used it for that (see sig below)

Cons: Storage. Maybe they made some improvements in newer models.
    2015 Tracker Targa V18 150 4-Stroke 2B142247 9.9 EFI Pro Kicker 1R159535
    2001 MasterCraft Maristar 210 V-Drive, LTR 330 HP

5. Member
    I am actually selling my 2019 Targa V-18 right now (maybe already sold). I was fishing out of a 2017 195 TxW, but we wanted to try fishing as a family, and I have little ones so I wanted more side wall height. It didn't really work out, so now I'm going back to a bass style boat, but just for me.

That said, I really liked the Targa. There are tons of storage nooks and crannies, lots of useful space (if you fish big rods for musky like me, you may appreciate the extra deck space of the 19), and the motor performance was just fine for me, and I ran a 150.

Downsides are definitely that the ride isn't the smoothest or driest, the factory doesn't give you enough seats, factory trolling motor and graphs are not great, and I wish you could have dual consoles instead of the walkthrough.

They are great boats if you ask me. I'm not a tournament fisherman so someone else may feel they're a little unsophisticated, but for a weekend guy that just likes to fish they are a great value.

6. Member
    I sold my V18 this past summer. I originally bought it because my father in law is getting up there in age, but still loves to go fishing, and I figured it would be easier for him to get into and out of. This proved true. I was surprised at the storage space for fishing gear and the ease with which it would pull the kids and their friends around the lake. I only experienced really rough water a few times in the three years I had it, but outside of an occasional small splash, it was a pretty dry and stable ride. About my only complaint is that the pins that hold the latches would come out. That's me being nit picky...easy to put back in, but annoying none the less.

Forgot to add that I was running a merc 150.

7. Member
    Thought I'd provide an update, but first want to thank all those that replied. I appreciate the helpful information and comments. I was able to go to a Bass Pro Shops boat center and look at a Targa they had on the showroom floor. I spent a lot of time in that boat and my wife and I both liked it a lot. I ended up ordering a Targa V-19 combo tournament edition with the 225 Pro XS from my local dealer. I figure I'll have the boat sometime in June. It is hard to temper my excitement and enthusiasm, but I'm trying!
    Mike
    22SSX Bennington Tritoon w/Yamaha F200

8. Member
    Congrats! You will love it. A couple of things I did on my V18 was upgrade the graph on the consul, as well as add one to the bow. I also got a different cover for travel as I got annoyed with having to tape the loose ends of the straps (just me being nit picky again). Cant wait to see pics!