Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

2010 Z7 - Optimax 200 setup and optimization logging

Hello BBC,

Newish to me boat, 2010 Z7 with an Optimax 200 Pro xs - 2010 model year.

Working on optimizing the boat and wanted to put some ideas out there.

Currently the boat runs 54- 5200rpm - full tank up to 60mph at 5400rpm - 1/2 tank fuel. It has a 24 pitch Stainless prop 13-3/4 x 24P (has a 22P stamp on it). Part number: 825940A48.

Holeshot RPM is a bit higher than I'd like 4500-4700; need to play with PVS plugs I think. I swapped in a medium for a large and that dropped it about 200rpm. I'll swap some more and log as time permits.

Prop to pad is 2.75", -10" Manual jackplate on it. Slidemaster. Once it gets "up" its a nice boat, stable, virtually zero rooster tail and no chine walk at all. Boat feels "stuck" to the water.

When I get on it, bow comes straight up (even with 2 29 deep cycle batteries up in the rod lockers), and levels off after a few seconds. I'm beginning to wonder if I have some bleeding/pressure issues in my tilt/trim that is maybe reducing bite? Also would explain why I need to trim it a lot to get max speed and can't throw a rooster tail. I'll be checking that for air in the next few weeks as time permits.

She's also heavy. 4- 29 Series batteries as it has an ultrex 112 on it. I'm considering moving to Lithium batteries and working with drewcraft on a quote right now; I think that'll drop ~160lbs off the setup; maybe a bit more.

From what I gather is it down on speed and holeshot isn't the greatest even with the 4 blade prop. I could probably stand a prop upgrade but not sure if I have a 22P (24P that was reworked) or just could use a better prop.
    Where would you start? Lighten the battery load? Start swapping props? Jackplate up/down? Previous owner said at 3" it didn't make much difference moving to 2.75"; I haven't touched that yet.

I'll post results/updates as I go here for archive/search purposes.

I'd like to increase hole shot and get mid 60's. I know it needs some more RPM. I also have an nitro hydrofoil I can install but would need to drill to install (new lower unit ~50 hours).

I've checked for hooked hull, it isn't. Boat on trailer weighed around 3300lbs over a cat scale; full tank of fuel.

2. Member
    Don't need a Hydro foil, are you trimming up enough? That boat should easily be able to run 65 loaded and close to 70 with a light load.

3. Member
    I've read a lot about hole shot issues with early to mid 00's Nitros. I never owned a Nitro but have a couple guys in my club with them and can confirm the mid 00's are slow out of the hole but the guy with the 2020 is one of the faster boats in the club. That 24p should be getting you right to 6k but it sounds like your not getting enough bow lift at wot. I say this because bow lift = speed which in turn is a loose aired out feeling, not stuck to the water. Take everything out of the boat including the trolling batteries and see what the results are. I have a feeling she'll once some weight is out the bow will rise up and she'll show some true potential.

4. Member
    Sorry forgot to add make sure you are getting full range of motion on the throttle as well.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewM-Fishing View Post
    Sorry forgot to add make sure you are getting full range of motion on the throttle as well.
    This and make sure it is running on all cylinders. Those Opti’s will run fairly well on five cylinders,just down on power.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bassfisher444 View Post
    Don't need a Hydro foil, are you trimming up enough? That boat should easily be able to run 65 loaded and close to 70 with a light load.
    I can trim until the prop essentially starts to cavitate it seems/any wave tosses it out of the water. I agree it should run a bit more, but she is a heavy load. Beginning to think the solution is to switch to lithium batteries in the back and pull the group 29's out of the front.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rip Bass View Post
    This and make sure it is running on all cylinders. Those Opti’s will run fairly well on five cylinders,just down on power.
    That is another theory of mine. It runs pretty well but power wise versus the prop it "feels" like a 150. 200/6= 33/hole (if balanced) *5 = 166hp. Probably time to pull the cowl and dig into coils/injectors/change spark plugs.

Update:

All 6 coils have spark. Swapping out plugs here this week and doing filter maintenance. Maybe that'll solve it. If not; should probably pull injectors/fuel rails and have them cleaned.
    Last edited by swannyoutdoors; 02-08-2022 at 12:25 PM.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewM-Fishing View Post
    Oh good thought. I just assumed that was correct; I should check that as well!

9. Member
    Alright, range of motion on throttle isn't 100%. Made some adjustments to WOT and will see how that goes. Also going to put in fresh filters/plugs and confirm all coils are firing before more lake tests.
    Last edited by swannyoutdoors; 02-08-2022 at 06:50 AM.

10. Member
    Update. Power cycled the trim system and bled it. It didn't take much fluid if anything at all as I put in 10cc and it mostly came back out. One of the trim cylinders seems to be seeping a bit of fluid at the top; but fully functional.

I noticed some wear on the striker plates so have new ones of those coming.

Oh. Also ordered all lithium batteries to swap in. Should drop around 150+lbs out of it.
    Last edited by swannyoutdoors; 02-08-2022 at 12:39 PM.

11. Member
    Updated: Found a 25 pitch 4 blade trophy plus locally I can test out after the maintenance. Game plan for next round:
    Change plugs/filter/see how TPS changes went.
    Install the lithium batteries if they are here in time/based on maintenance schedule.
    Play with both props at the lake and see the before/after.
    I'm expecting a few hundred rpm drop going from the 24 to the 25. I'm expecting 1 mph or better with the batteries. Will see how it balances out.

Post results here for anyone else searching.

I have 09 z-7 with 150 get 58-59 loaded with gear you should be close to 70mph. Have you checked for a hooked hull? I have 23 tempest 3 blade 5600rpm dose take a little to get on plane for me but you should jump up fast with the 4 blade.

* I see your hook hull comment. Must have missed it. I have the garmin force 36v but ionics battery's. You should be high 60s if not 70 with that setup.
    Last edited by 8AnDrEw9; 02-08-2022 at 02:38 PM.
    2009 Nitro z-7
    2008 EFI 150

13. Member
    I run an 07 591 with a 200 optimax on it. Also a 24vt ultrex, so 1 less battery. I believe the 591 and z-7 are pretty much the same hull. Currently I'm running a 6" hydraulic jackplate and a 24 Fury and a 27.5 Bravo 1 XS. I have never really checked my PSTP height since I can change it. but I will tell you that these shorter hulls don't plain out the best since the tend to like to stand up no matter what prop you run. But once running I can hold 68 fairly constant at around 5400-5600 rpm prop depending, but if I trim more it starts to walk too bad with either prop. They both need work. I am in the process of sending both to Croxton to get repaired and balanced. With that being said I think a 10" plate may too much setback. IDK about yours, but mine already has 12" of setback built into the boat so I am at a total of 18", which is a lot. So if yours is the same you are looking at 22" total.

Between the 2 props, the fury like to run very deep, while the Bravo I can run way high. So that's where the huge benefit of a hyd plate comes in. Also being able to adjust on holeshot. These hulls are very load sensitive, so every little detail maters more than on most other boats.

But yes you for sure need to check the mechanicals of your engine. It should be on the rev limiter IMO with that prop.
    River Runner

14. Member
    Update:
    Added the jackplate "skid plate", batteries, and 25 pitch. Motor got new plugs and is running great. 60.8mph 5400rpm, full tournament load. (livewells + full tank of fuel + full tackle). Planes out very quickly now. Will work on jackplate adjustments, think I can raise it up a bit and see if that helps. Doesn't feel like the boat is getting "up", very stable and no sort of chin walk or anything at 60.8. Can keep trimming without additional speed so I think now its time to adjust jackplate height.

15. Member
    I have never run a trophy on my Nitro, but for the most part Nitro's run best with a properly pitched Tempest plus.

16. Member
    Update for anyone following. Played around with trim a bit more and am getting more comfortable at full speed. Hit 62.4mph at around 5500-5600rpm. Boat was finally "out" of the water and experienced a bit of what I consider chine walk (front end really light and took some steering input to keep it straight). It seems the combination of everything is starting to make this boat faster.
    Holeshot is great with the 25 pitch 4 blade prop. The trim feature still takes forever to raise/lower the motor (in my opinion). I've bled it a few times so assuming its working well. Haven't found any real performance measurements on that aspect to validate full operation.
    More seat time required, but think I can get it to 65+mph even with the 4 blade. This run was full tournament load with empty livewells (how my tournaments have been going lately, lol). 7/8 tank of fuel, full tackle.

17. Member
    If you can find a 24p tempest plus give it a shot. You might be surprised.

18. Member
    Mercury trims seem slow but they work. When you are running WOT and getting 62 mph and chine walking that probably means up need to go up 1/4" on the plate not the trim. That boat should run 70 but you'll never get it with a Trophy it needs a Tempest either 24"or 25" B&B by Mark Croxton. How did you check the WOT setting on the motor.

19. Member
    As said above mdtritn21.....sounds like some one has worked the prop also . You didn't name the brand of the prop. Also there a lot of plate for me ......6 inch should be plenty for me . I would also so start at 3.50 below pad and move it up a 1/4 inch at a time until you lose water pressure or speed .the n move down a 1/4 and lock it in,

20. Member
    Who ever
    had the boat before you, may set the motor up high to make up for the 10 inch plate.
    Normal 6-8 inch plate is good for your boat

That 10 inch is sitting way back there.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast