Question Mystery oil for reel cleaning?

Saw a video on social media of someone soaking their bait caster in mystery oil! They just took the spool out and soaked reels in large bowl of mystery oil overnight. Took reel out and wiped off in the morning and their good and oiled up ready to go.
    Any thoughts on this method?

Uh...NO!
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

3. Member
    IMHO-sounds stupid. I am no reel cleaning expert (I do maintenance but let my trusted local professional perform tear down cleaning & reel repairs). Provides a great opportunity for cross contamination of incompatible petroleum products and for ruining drag washers.
    Lightning 6
    2007 TR-196DC

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lightning 6 View Post
    IMHO-sounds stupid. I am no reel cleaning expert (I do maintenance but let my trusted local professional perform tear down cleaning & reel repairs). Provides a great opportunity for cross contamination of incompatible petroleum products and for ruining drag washers.
    Plus over lubrication.

Sounds really weird to me. As far as I know, there is no magic formula that performs the function of both oil AND grease. OP, are you sure that they were not just using an ultrasonic cleaner for side plates, frames, spool, etc?

That’s the stupidest thing I’ve ever heard of as far as anything to do with a reel. Of course it will feel improved immediately after the soak, the real fun is not too far behind.
    Ranting incoherently

Look into a product called yellow rocket fuel. Its a online sale only.

8. Member
    Don't know about the video but I have been cleaning and lubing reels with 3 in 1 oil for many years. Its a fishin reel, it ain't turnin 10,000 RPM

Sounds like something you'd do with a cheap reel, that is abused in mud and dirt at night between a forked stick. No need for long casts, using weights that are very heavy usually in light current.
    "It's even, but it ain't settled. Let's settle it." Fast Eddie
    I still can't believe they actually won...Cubs Fans Everywhere

10. Member
    It's April 1st already?

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Hahn View Post
    Uh...NO!
    Uh .. yes.. if you actually disassemble and don’t dunk the whole damn reel. Then blow parts out with compressed air and wipe clean. It’s exactly what I used for years. Next was hot sauce. My reels were never so “free” .. but they did need more timely cleaning.. it works , but not as dictated..

Quote Originally Posted by 5 BASS ASSASIN View Post
    Uh .. yes.. if you actually disassemble and don’t dunk the whole damn reel. Then blow parts out with compressed air and wipe clean. It’s exactly what I used for years. Next was hot sauce. My reels were never so “free” .. but they did need more timely cleaning.. it works , but not as dictated..
    Just no at soaking the whole reel in one piece.
    2019 BassCat Lynx 2019 250 Pro XS 4 Stroke - 2B573410
    "Reality Is Often Disappointing."