Replacing Spindle Sleeve/Vault Bearings

I am playing hell getting a new sleeve pressed on the spindle

Quite a job getting the old one off too—I had to torch it and use a pair of channel locks—doing so I put a couple burrs on the spindle that i had to file down

I ordered a couple extra sleeves from MMaster just in case-good thing i did

I tried to tap a new sleeve on and the Oring that goes in groove under sleeve got caught and tore all to hell and had to start all over again-burring up the sleeve with the torch and channel locks again

this time i really cleaned the spindle up as best i could with a wire wheel/die grinder

I’m on my last spindle sleeve and Oring-I gotta make this one count

can anybody give me any pointers?

2. Member
    Did a bbc search on wear sleeves and found a lot of good info
    i especially liked one thread where a guy foregoes the Oring and uses RTV before whacking the new sleeve on the spindle
    -but in my situation that rtv would plug off the pin hole in the spindle and it wouldn’t allow it to take the vault grease

I use a dremel tool to score the wear ring and peel it off with pliers and emery cloth to clean the spindle. This is what I use to install a new wear ring with an old inner bearing.

Last edited by Bob G.; 01-30-2022 at 06:21 PM.
    2006 Triton TR-21 XD, Mercury 225 Pro XS, S/N 1B287870

4. Member
    Dremel or dremel cutting wheel on a drill to take off.I heated sleeve in a cup of boiling water and ice pack on the axle and made a PVC tool to tap them on.Worked for me.

5. Member
    Thanks everyone
    great tips

6. Member
    Score wear sleeve with Dremel tool It will almost pop off after that. Make sure you put some grease on the inner rubber Oring so it won't get caught when installing the new wear sleeve. I stacked the old bearing together to use as an install tool for the wear sleeve. Few good Wacks with a hammer and you will be good!

7. Member
    Use an old inner bearing against the sleeve and a pipe against the bearing to drive the sleeve on.
    Mercury 2002 200hp Carbed Saltwater
    OT566776
    2002 Cape Horn 22' Bay

8. mikesxpress
    Search the Ranger board tip section. Process is posted there.

use a pipe wrench to remove the stainless steel wear sleeve, might have to heat it a little bit but just a little, it will come right off with the pipe wrench. To install place the oring and add some RTV around sleeve, I then took a 12" piece of 1.5" pvc pipe, split the end and used it to drive on the new wear ring, worked perfect