Thread: BOOST PUMP?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

BOOST PUMP?

S/N is in my signature

What does this Optimax "boost" fuel pump do that's located in the vst tank? As a former HPDI owner I'm not used to this 3rd style pump called a boost pump.

If boost pump fails does motor 100% not run and leaves me drifting or does the diaphram pump cover for it and I limp home at 3 knots?
    Last edited by Another Distraction; 01-29-2022 at 06:24 PM.
    2022 mercury 250HP
    s/n 3B216469
    0 hrs.
    Smart craft gauges

2. Member
    One sends fuel to the high pressure pump, pulse pump just fills vst
    Ron Fears
    Stroker/300XS
    1E003823

3. Member
    I changed mine with Walbro pumps, works great, mine sounded bad, noisy, now they are not
    Ron Fears
    Stroker/300XS
    1E003823

4. Member
    Both pumps, boost and diaphram, send fuel to high pressure pump because there's only one fuel feed line going into VST. Are you saying fuel won't get to high pressure pump unless boost pump is working? Fuel wont flow through or around boost pump?

Maybe boost pump fills the high pressure pump with a lower pressurized fuel so high pressure pump isnt starting from zero psi?
    Last edited by Another Distraction; 01-30-2022 at 07:59 AM.
    2022 mercury 250HP
    s/n 3B216469
    0 hrs.
    Smart craft gauges

5. Member
    And when I turn key on and hear a fuel pump run for a few seconds, is that the boost, high pressure, or both running?
    2022 mercury 250HP
    s/n 3B216469
    0 hrs.
    Smart craft gauges

6. Member
    Both,
    Ron Fears
    Stroker/300XS
    1E003823

7. Member
    Think of it as a lift pump, boost pump is horizontal sends fuel to high pressure pump which is vertical, attaches directly to fuel line to rails
    Ron Fears
    Stroker/300XS
    1E003823

8. Member
    diaphram fills chamber for boost to use to supply HP pump for inj useage , both run at key on and no is dead in water no limp
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

9. Member
    I see how this works now and having 2 pumps is 2x more likely to be left drifting out to see. Darn.... I guess an extra VST assembly will be a good offshore spare part to carry.
    2022 mercury 250HP
    s/n 3B216469
    0 hrs.
    Smart craft gauges

10. Member
    I've owned Optimax motors since 1999 and never had a failed fuel pump. Carrying a spare VST is over the top IMHO.

11. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Technically low pressure and high pressure, but the short of it is that the low pressure pump ensures a clean and constant supply of non-aerated fuel to the high pressure pump.

These pumps are quite durable, especially the versions that are immersed in fuel within the IVST (specifically 2003 and later 3L Optimax models). We see VERY few failures on these pumps.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

12. Member
    Non aerated, understood.

If low pressure pump fails then boat still crawls home?

I'm an ocean guy. After 25 miles out there's no tow service to come get me.
    2022 mercury 250HP
    s/n 3B216469
    0 hrs.
    Smart craft gauges

13. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Provided that the VST remains full, you can usually keep the engine running at low RPM's (at least enough to putter home). Pretty rare occurence on that IVST Design, though.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

14. Member
    Cool, thanks.
    2022 mercury 250HP
    s/n 3B216469
    0 hrs.
    Smart craft gauges

15. Member
    I have an 05 225 opti and after it would warm up it it would start to rev then fall on its face and not rev over 1200 rpm. Turns out it was the vst was full of decayed fuel line and gunk. I took it somewhere and was diagnosed as high pressure fuel pump getting hot and failing so I bought the high pressure pump on way home and changed. When pulled vst that's when found how disgusting the vst was but changed pump anyways since i was in there. Runs strong now but i honestly think it was gunk stopping up one of the pumps causing the problem.....not the pump itself.

16. Member
    High and low pumps.....500 ea

17. Member
    Agreed. There are some rubbers in the vst that are critical too so bad pumps alone aren't the only thing that cause VST issues. I'll tear mine down if I can find the time.

You had decayed fuel line past the big screw in filter and into the vst tank where the pumps are? I would think those fuel line parts are to big to get in there.
    Last edited by Another Distraction; 02-03-2022 at 07:04 AM.
    2022 mercury 250HP
    s/n 3B216469
    0 hrs.
    Smart craft gauges

18. Member
    Get a service manual, it will help a bunch, I replace everything in mine when I changed pumps, no big deal, but manual is key
    Ron Fears
    Stroker/300XS
    1E003823

19. Member
    If line is questionable, replace all of it
    Ron Fears
    Stroker/300XS
    1E003823

20. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Another Distraction View Post
    You had decayed fuel line past the big screw in filter a into the vst tank where the pumps are? I would think those fuel line parts are to big to get in there.
    That was very likely decayed FUEL (in order for line to get there, it would have to pass the filter, make it's way down the small passage front to back, and then pass through the NEEDLE/SEAT. Pretty rare unless something really unusual has occurred in servicing/repair.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast