Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I'd like to know who the genius was that started putting notches in the side of spools of line.
    I have always spooled spinning reels with the spool laying flat and after I get about halfway I check to see if it's getting any twist
    in the line....if it is twisting I flip the spool over and fill it up. If you try that with a notched spool it jumps all over the place.
    "If It Ain't Broke, You're Not Trying"- Red Green

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sharpcard View Post
    I'd like to know who the genius was that started putting notches in the side of spools of line.
    I have always spooled spinning reels with the spool laying flat and after I get about halfway I check to see if it's getting any twist
    in the line....if it is twisting I flip the spool over and fill it up. If you try that with a notched spool it jumps all over the place.
    Haha...yeah man, it's a PITA.

3. Member
    I put my spool in a bowl slightly bigger than the spool. Cover with warm water. Let sit a bit before spooling, leaving it in the water while doing so. This relaxes the line and it is very limp. Only time I have twist issues is after drop-shoting all day. I read it somewhere and been using it many years on monofilament.

4. Member
    I just let it twist when I spool the line. Then before tying on a bait I troll the line behind my boat for a hundred yards or so.. Works for me !!!!

5. Member
    Just use braid to leader. I can't imagine using straight flouro on a spinning reel anymore.

6. Member
    I use the Dr C's Spooling Station and for spinning reels I rigged up a way to hold a spool on my drill. I put it on with the drill straight off the bulk spools without using the reel. This gives you virtually zero twist while putting line on. After fishing a while and I start to build up a little twist, I drag the line behind the boat and then reel it back on, stretches the line and removes a lot of the twist. After a couple times dragging the line behind the boat it is time to replace it for me.

Off the top for a bait caster.
    Off the bottom for a spinning rod.
    As far as having someone help or a pencil or the myriad of ways to get there. I just have my line in a plastic storage tub. Whichever line I am going for I have the other spools kind of keep it in place as I crank new line on. The spools don't roll away, and I don't need help.
    Ranger Z-20, Yamaha F225.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Woody b View Post
    I've got one of these. I mainly use baitcast reels, but it works great for spinning reels too. Look toward the end of the video linked at the bottom of the pictures.

Opps, I forgot to add the link. https://www.amazon.com/Piscifun-Fish...NsaWNrPXRydWU=

Watch the video.
    That looks good.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TDobb View Post
    I use the Dr C's Spooling Station and for spinning reels I rigged up a way to hold a spool on my drill. I put it on with the drill straight off the bulk spools without using the reel. This gives you virtually zero twist while putting line on. After fishing a while and I start to build up a little twist, I drag the line behind the boat and then reel it back on, stretches the line and removes a lot of the twist. After a couple times dragging the line behind the boat it is time to replace it for me.
    THIS ^^^^^^^. Had a tackleshop spool a new reel I bought like this and it was a dream. This or use braid.....
    2017 Triton TRX Patriot w/250 ProXS Optimax

10. Member
    People don’t seem to get this but I’ll attempt to go over this. Think about it, and I would suggest people to experiment for themselves. When line comes off a spool from a side (spool not spinning), the line will TWIST. When a spinning reel winds line on, it TWISTS, it MIGHT untwist if you are twisting it on the opposite way it twists off the spool. BUT, when you cast, straight line on the spool will TWIST again when it comes off.

Complicated? Not really. You want the line straight when it’s cast out. That means you want it twisted on when spooled, but this same twist comes off the spool (when casting) the opposite direction and ends up straight again.

Short version - spool off a spool on a spindle (represents straight line). Daiwa used to suggest line coming off the bottom, but I don’t see how it matters. Do this under spool tension, but do NOT pinch the line as you spool (this twists the line).

Think about it - you have straight (untwisted) line out, the line twists when you reel in (inevitable physics in spinning reels) and is stored that way. That same line UNtwists when it’s casted out again because the twisted line is coming off the spool in the opposite way it was wound on. End result - straight line after the cast.

Trying to spool label up or label down, on a stationary spool is old school, and never worked.

11. Banned
    it has to come off in the same direction it goes on. In most, if not all cases, counterclockwise - counterclockwise.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12