Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

How to spool my spinning reel

I have always had a hard time, respooling my spinning reels. Is there an easy way? The way that i saw on youTube, was to have the line come off the spool of line, counter-clockwise, but i don't know of any easy way to hold the spool of line, down on the floor so that it comes off the spool counter-clockwise. Maybe i am over thinking it.

2. Member
    IMO, you want the spool to face you, and have the line coming off the bottom. Any other way will give you more line twist. I've gone through this so many times and this is the best i've found.

Edit: by facing you i mean sticking a pencil through it, and have it so you can see the line, not the label.

I think generally you want the line coming off the spool the opposite of whichever way your reel bail is spinning. The problem with that is that the spool on your reel is much smaller than the line spool, so it starts twisting the other way in fairly short order. So that's the way I start, but I stop pretty frequently while filling a reel and look at the slack line. If it's starting to get kinky (the coils are getting tighter), flip the spool over and start filling again. If you stop after a couple handle turns, you'll notice the coils have loosened up indicating you undid the twist that was building up. Of course it'll start getting tight again in short order, so you'll need to flip it back again. Repeat until the reel is full.

As for getting it to come off easily, I usually just sit it on the ground, but some spools have little notches in the lip that make it miserable. I saw a trick last summer that I tried with a surprising amount of success. Essentially you want to find a (cooking) pot with a lid that has a hole in it to let steam escape. Stick the spool of line in the pot, thread the line through the hole on the lid, put the lid on the pot, then fill your reel. It still catches on those notched lips occasionally, but at least it's not kicking all the way across the garage this way. Try it sometime!
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360

4. Member
    I've got one of these. I mainly use baitcast reels, but it works great for spinning reels too. Look toward the end of the video linked at the bottom of the pictures.

Opps, I forgot to add the link. https://www.amazon.com/Piscifun-Fish...NsaWNrPXRydWU=

Watch the video.
    Last edited by Woody b; 01-28-2022 at 07:23 PM.

5. Member
    O dear. You want the line spool to be immobile, not rotate. You want the line coming off the edge the same direction your reel bail rotates. If you get kinks, trail it behind the boat then reel it in with your rod tip held high while idling along.

6. Member
    One thing I do after spooling a spinning reel is to free spool about half the line off behind the boat while in gear, after a minute or so any twist you had will be gone and casting will be alot easier.

7. Member
    I have a bar mounted horizontally in my building for when I respool. As a general rule, if I'm filling a baitcaster, the spool is mounted where the line comes off the top of the spool. For spinning, it's off of the bottom. Have had a few brands where it has been the opposite. I always stop winding after a few turns and move the rod tip towards the line spool. If it's the wrong way the slack line will immediately twist. Just flip the line spool over if it happens. Give it a few turns and check again.

8. Member
    Laying new spool on the ground will still twist line.I take reel spool off and put it in a drill and spool line just like a line station does

9. Member
    seen a video on youtube where the fellow, a pro fisherman, name escapes me now, says to throw the spool of line in a bucket of water or your full livewell and just reel it on and you won't have any line twist or wind knots
    THE MORE YOU SAY THE MORE WE UNDERSTAND AND ACCEPT YOU ANYWAYS

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SWbass View Post
    seen a video on youtube where the fellow, a pro fisherman, name escapes me now, says to throw the spool of line in a bucket of water or your full livewell and just reel it on and you won't have any line twist or wind knots
    Brandon Lester did this in a recent video. I’ll probably be trying it next time.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by billnorman1 View Post
    O dear. You want the line spool to be immobile, not rotate. You want the line coming off the edge the same direction your reel bail rotates. If you get kinks, trail it behind the boat then reel it in with your rod tip held high while idling along.
    Doing this will give you line twist. As the line comes off and runs over the edge of the spool, it will twist. It can't not twist.

Spool it any which way to fill the spool. Now go to a long unobstructed space - backyard, ball field, etc. Tie the loose end to a branch, fence or whatever. Open the bail and walk a good ways back or until you reach the bottom of the spool. Lay the rod down, walk back and untie the line. Back to the rod, pick it up, close the bail, pinch the line for tension and slowly reel it all in. The kinks and loops will work themselves out.

It’s not that bad and it works. Or you could use braid with a leader and never deal with it again
    Ranting incoherently

13. Member
    I lay mine out in the street in front of house. Walk down the desired distance, cut it, go back and wind it up. If I don't use braid the dam thing is gonna blow up within 7 casts anyway.
    2017 Phoenix 618Pro

I pretty faithfully use the same method Hank Parker 'splained when he was doing his show on the TeeVee. Reel it on any way you want, then let it all drag out behind the boat at a idle speed, let it drag awhile and reel it back up while pinching the line with your thumb and index finger. Or use braid, with or without a leader.
    Don't bother me, I'm screwing for virginity.

I killed a 12-pack just to watch it die.

15. Banned
    Shaw Grigsby spools his spinning reels the same he does his baitcasters. check out youtube videos.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Arley View Post
    Shaw Grigsby spools his spinning reels the same he does his baitcasters. check out youtube videos.
    Personally, I spool BCs and threadlines very differently. For me, if the rotor on the threadline rotates clockwise when cranked forward, then the line coming off of the spool of line, needs to be coming off counter-clockwise.

And to clarify, the noted direction of the rotor turning (during forward crank) should be viewed/defined from the front of the spinning reel, not from the back, as in when holding/cranking the reel.
    Last edited by dragon1; 02-05-2022 at 09:59 AM. Reason: Grammar & spelling

Don’t really know which way to put the spool with the line facing but a little tip take a big nail and hammer. Hammer the nail in the middle of spool tight to hold some pressure. Then respool. Any kind of wood will do even a tree.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Solitario Lupo View Post
    Don’t really know which way to put the spool with the line facing but a little tip take a big nail and hammer. Hammer the nail in the middle of spool tight to hold some pressure. Then respool. Any kind of wood will do even a tree.
    BTW, I dig the play on "Lone Wolf" in your handle.

19. Member
    When I can't get the Mrs. to hold the spool on a pencil, i use one of these. Either way, have the line come off of the bottom for a spinning rod, and off of the top on a baitcaster.

https://www.amazon.com/Plano-Line-Sp...91294988&psc=1

20. Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by bilgerat View Post
    Spool it any which way to fill the spool. Now go to a long unobstructed space - backyard, ball field, etc. Tie the loose end to a branch, fence or whatever. Open the bail and walk a good ways back or until you reach the bottom of the spool. Lay the rod down, walk back and untie the line. Back to the rod, pick it up, close the bail, pinch the line for tension and slowly reel it all in. The kinks and loops will work themselves out.

It’s not that bad and it works. Or you could use braid with a leader and never deal with it again
    That's what I do.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast