Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Suggestions to keep uncle ned weedless?

So… I’ve been throwing the ned for only a few years and need to find a better way to keep the ned rig hang up free in the brush bass luv to hang in. Currently throw a ballhead jig with double weedguards. It works most of the time but I am tired of blowing up brush/trees while retrieving my hung bait. Anything you find that solves this? Thanks guys

Do a search on YouTube for the “tiny child rig”
    . Its basically a Neko rigged Ned bait.
    It’s much more snagless than a Ned head with brush guards.
    "If It Ain't Broke, You're Not Trying"- Red Green

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sharpcard View Post
    ty…will give that a try. Makes sense.

If you're getting hung with double weed guards, that must be some gnarly stuff! Assuming you really are wanting a Ned-like presentation, I'd try downsizing the weight of your jig head first.

Not quite the same thing, but when I'm in a situation where a Ned is getting buried up in grass, it's a sign I'm fishing one that's too heavy. I think more generally you want to not be able to feel anything with the Ned rig, as tough as that may be. Admittedly there are times where I'm wanting to get it buried in grass so I can snatch it out and get reaction bites, but that's a different technique to me and I'm digressing anyhow as that's different than what the OP is fishing.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DrewFlu33 View Post
    If you're getting hung with double weed guards, that must be some gnarly stuff! Assuming you really are wanting a Ned-like presentation, I'd try downsizing the weight of your jig head first.

Not quite the same thing, but when I'm in a situation where a Ned is getting buried up in grass, it's a sign I'm fishing one that's too heavy. I think more generally you want to not be able to feel anything with the Ned rig, as tough as that may be. Admittedly there are times where I'm wanting to get it buried in grass so I can snatch it out and get reaction bites, but that's a different technique to me and I'm digressing anyhow as that's different than what the OP is fishing.

Gnarly is an understatement! No grass…just LOTS of submerged trees. I can get through about 80%…but, the other 20% I have to go and fetch my bait back & ruin the spot for a while. The suggestion above looks pretty good.

6. Member
    Owner block head

7. Member
    Are the weedguards your jig has fiber or wire?

8. Member
    Titanium doubles. Flex & won’t kink up.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Okie2 View Post
    Titanium doubles. Flex & won’t kink up.
    When i tried using a ned with wire guard in wood it was nothing but snags. I had MUCH better luck with the fiber weed guard on the nichols clents toadstool ned jig, and my other suggestion, the owner block head.

10. Member
    Fish a shakey head or Texas rig instead.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by slipknobber bot View Post
    Owner block head
    This is what I use and I fish one almost exclusively around wood. And lots of it. Works great.

Quote Originally Posted by Okie2 View Post
    Gnarly is an understatement! No grass…just LOTS of submerged trees. I can get through about 80%…but, the other 20% I have to go and fetch my bait back & ruin the spot for a while. The suggestion above looks pretty good.
    Lighter jig head is a great suggestion, I would also recommend a small hook, I get shroom heads from a custom maker, and I get them with #2 Mustad and a wire weed guard. I fish Table Rock and Beaver a lot and routinely fish trees and rocks. Still get hung up at times, and maybe lose 3-4 rigs on a bad day. One thing I have learned is fishing with a bigger hook, say a 1/0 like you see on the commercially available "Ned" jigheads will get more snags than a smaller hook. I don't know if you fish around trees and brush piles if you can ever 100% eliminate getting snagged, but you can minimize it.

13. Member
    Hawg thumper on custom baits forum makes some good wide gap heads for the ned rig with the do-it weedless finesse widegap ned rig mold. I have a bunch of them in different sizes & they work good for me. I fish a regular head when possible but when weedless is needed i use it.

14. Member

As a non-boater i. 1 trail for the past several years, i really get tired of breaking off shakyheadz and nedheads. Last year after breaking off a shaky on the 1st cast, i vowed to find something different. I am throwing a neko with a 3/64 nail weight only lost 1 lure to a snag all year. I tried the 3/32 and didn't like it as much, depending on the worm.
    https://www.tacklewarehouse.com/VMC_...minal%20Tackle
    Denalirods.com
    Solarbat.com

16. BBC SPONSOR

17. Member
    VMC Rugby jig head
    1988 Ranger 364V
    150HP Merc Black Max

18. Member
    This looks like a really good solution
    2019 BCB Classic
    Merc V8 200 4S

I like that option for sure

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpcard View Post
    I sometimes do the same sort of rig with a Zoom Trick Worm, 1/0 > 3/0 EWG in the head and a #6 x 1.25" decking screw in the tail end, fishing it on 15 > 20 lb braid or 8 lb copolymer. But I call it the "dumb bass rig". Works great in reed beds and rip-rap. Should work fine in laydowns. Occasionally lose the tail of the worm in rip-rap, but not the hook, so quick to get back at it.

Edit: The braid and Trick worm float the hook up away from most snags, in case it wasn't obvious. I use a 3/0 Trokar EWG, but a standard Gamakatsu EWG would work fine. Straight shank hook would also, if you prefer that. I lucked into a free sample pack of the Trokars and like them.
    Last edited by Walkabout7781; 02-19-2022 at 07:43 PM.
    Don't bother me, I'm screwing for virginity.

I killed a 12-pack just to watch it die.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast