Thread: Length of trip?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Length of trip?

Motor hour thread got me wondering how long is everyone's average fishing day/trip? I usually try and fish an entire tide cycle so about 6 hours. But if I can't get at least 3 hours I usually don't go. I usually fish spots 10 min to 45 minutes away depending if I'm driving down the beach.
    He/him
    Kayak fishing in a Native Slayer Max 12.5
    Lowrance Elite 9 ti2

2. Member
    I get out before the sun breaks and usually get off the lake around 1200-1300. IN the summer when it is brutally hot and the days are long I get off the lake at 1100 and go home and take a nap. getting up at 300 is tough.

3. Member
    I just bought my first boat this past summer. Initially I though 4 hours was a long time on the water. Now it is like 8 to 10 hours and at the end I'm like where did time go...I don't want to leave. Winter has cut down my fishing time down due to the cold.

Avg is probably 7 hours. Some days it is 8 hour tournament, others it is a 10 hour fun trip. Get in 3 hour trips after work couple times a week in summer.

If I’m on a weekend trip I’ll fish dawn to dusk.

5. Member
    Not as long as it used to be that's for sure. 8 hours is a long day now and I'm like you in that I won't go unless I can fish at least 3 hours.

6. Member
    I generally like to do at least 7-8 hours. I might be the worst early morning fisherman on the planet, usually takes me 2-3 hours to get bites lol.
    2020 Nitro Z20 Pro Package

Quote Originally Posted by Mcjenson View Post
    I generally like to do at least 7-8 hours. I might be the worst early morning fisherman on the planet, usually takes me 2-3 hours to get bites lol.
    Duh. Sunrise is around 7 so if you're on the west coast it's gonna take 2-3 hours for y'all to catch up.
    He/him
    Kayak fishing in a Native Slayer Max 12.5
    Lowrance Elite 9 ti2

8. Member
    I gotta have at least 2 hours on the water to make it worthwhile, even if it's only a 10 minute drive. If it's trout fishing the evening hatch from canoe, then a little less but it's longer drive to trout water

9. Member
    For me I like 10-12 hour days on the water. I will only go if I can get 4 hours...it goes way too fast!

I’m happy to get out for two hours after work. It might be a short time, but I go a lot. As of yesterday I’ve gone 16 times since New Years Day.

When a lot younger it was usually before sun up till after dark then started fishing tournaments and that was usually 8 hours. Then we moved to within 5 minutes of a boat ramp and usually 4 to 5 hours depending on how the fish are biting.

12. RIP Evinrude 1907-2020 JR19's Avatar
    Typically, I always start early in the morning. When doing that I would estimate 6-8 hours is normal. I may leave after 5 hours if fish are not biting or if I have something to do. Occasionally I will make an afternoon trip and when I do that its more like 4 or so hours. Now that's fishing my home lake 4 miles away. When traveling to a couple other lakes I go to I typically try to fish 8 hours. When I count round trip travel time it will be something like 10-12 hours.

13. Member
    About 4 hours is plenty for me unless. I’m on a tournament of course.

Now that I'm retired I don't feel the need to fish a whole day like I use to especially in the summer. In the heat, 4 hours is enough for me.

Average is 6 -7 hours. Hot Summer is pre-daylight to late morning. On the water at 5:00am, off by 11:00am. Spring and fall and pleasant weather means 8 - 9 hour trips.
    BassCat Sabre FTD
    Mercury 150 Optimax
    "It's just fishing"

16. New England Forum Moderator twitch's Avatar
    Most of my time is in tourneys so at least 8 hours, when I'm out fun fishing or taking the grandkids or whatever usually 4 hours .But tourney days can be long with traveling and weigh in but you gotta love it
    1990 374V Ranger Still kickin' bass after all these years

17. Moderator
    Usually 8 hours. Like to fish as much of the lake as possible.

18. Member
    Static bodies of water such as lakes have different productive times than tidal rivers as the earlier texts describe. If at all possible tidal fishermen need the last couple of hours of outgoing and the early turnaround. We can get the "morning bite" but if the following tide is all incoming, it's a big waste of time usually.

19. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    I’ve fished a lot of tournaments, which are 8-9 hours. But if fun or practice fishing, I fish until it gets uncomfortable [hot/cold/stormy] or until I learn something. I’m generally not one of those guys who tries to catch every bass in the lake, but being primarily a tournament angler, I try to figure them out—or at least find a new spot or two—and then go home. I’ve left after 2 hours when pre-fishing for an upcoming tournament, even when it’s taken me upwards of an hour to get to the lake. *Average* time on the water for all trips? Probably 6 hours. Every year I tell myself I’m going to spend more time out there once I’ve driven an hour+ to the water, but every year I break that promise.
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio

20. Member
    20 years ago .Dark to Dark.
    Now Im at the launch before sunrise and fish till noon or 1

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast