Performance Thoughts

I'm running a 2003 20XDC with a 2020 250R (flashed), Sportmaster gear case with 1:75:1, (2) 10' power pole blades, Ghost trolling motor, running (1) 24v Lithium troller battery and 1 lead crank. I'm running a 32 pitch Max5 prop, 14" hydraulic jack plate.

At 5800 rpm I'm running 91.2 mph.

I believe I can come up a bit more on top end with the jack plate and gain another 100-200 rpm but the boat is very un-settled at that point and I think its the 10' power poles catching wind and causing odd / unpredictable movement. In 2003 I had a 2.5 drag motor and was running 102 so I'm familiar with boat attitudes at high speeds. Did not have power poles or the Ghost with the 2.5 drag motor and it was rock solid (well as solid as a boat can be at 100mph).

I have never ran this motor without the power poles. Is it worth taking them off and running to see if thats what causing the weird movement, and how much performance on top end do you think I'm giving up??? It seems to me like the Ghost and the power poles are acting like a sail??

Looking for thoughts

2. Member
    I had a ghost on my 20XD/300XS. I noticed zero difference from my 105 MG. I never had poles, so can't say.

3. Member
    Based on what I'm hearing, those 250 and 300r's are difficult to prop. Decent speed with power poles i think. And running 100 with a stock weigh bullet even with a 300drag is good running.

4. Member
    The power poles are definitely a sail. Hold your arm out the window at 100 mph. Then multiply that for the length of the poles and x2. Also the 14" jack plate may be a little much for the increased weight of the R motor. How high are you running the motor. The Rs like to run very high.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tlt20xd View Post
    The power poles are definitely a sail. Hold your arm out the window at 100 mph. Then multiply that for the length of the poles and x2. Also the 14" jack plate may be a little much for the increased weight of the R motor. How high are you running the motor. The Rs like to run very high.
    With the hydraulic plate I start out ~ even pad maybe 1/2" above, when up and running out I'm ~1-3/4 above. I agree with you I think the 14" plate is hurting me too, I had a 12 inch before (with a different engine) and wish I would of went with a 12" hydraulic.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gcross View Post
    Based on what I'm hearing, those 250 and 300r's are difficult to prop. Decent speed with power poles i think. And running 100 with a stock weigh bullet even with a 300drag is good running.
    I did have a hard time propping, and not sure I have the best prop yet (and have tried ALOT of different props). Over-all setting up the boat was a bear. Much harder than I ever thought it would be. In 2003 I ordered a blue printed hull.
    Last edited by sowenssw; 01-26-2022 at 12:02 PM.

7. Member
    Thanks for the info guys!! Always appreciate hearing what you all have to say

8. Member
    Also consider if you have Rich’s power pole brackets they do not sit straight so that the width of the pole is the drag, instead they are angled around 30 deg or so so it’s a little more drag instead of just the pole width if they were mounted perfectly straight inline with the boat.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sleepy111 View Post
    Also consider if you have Rich’s power pole brackets they do not sit straight so that the width of the pole is the drag, instead they are angled around 30 deg or so so it’s a little more drag instead of just the pole width if they were mounted perfectly straight inline with the boat.
    I do have his brackets and you are exactly right, the poles are on about a 30 deg angle, probably multiples the drag a lot.

10. Member
    What hydraulic Jackplate are you running? Some of the flex alot!!! Especially if you are running them high! A way to combat this is to use lower mounting bolt holes on the motor to plate connection so you do not have to bring the plate up so much.
    "Luminous beings are we not this crude matter." Yoda

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by nightbasser View Post
    What hydraulic Jackplate are you running? Some of the flex alot!!! Especially if you are running them high! A way to combat this is to use lower mounting bolt holes on the motor to plate connection so you do not have to bring the plate up so much.

Been there done that. When I put my Bobs plate on I dropped the motor to the 1st motor mounting holes, instead of the 3rd which is the standard, so I could get more useful travel out of it knowing I would never be running it at the plates max 6” height. Now at max running height I am never above 4” on the gauge.

12. Member
    Thats great advise, never thought about that, I'm in the 3rd mounting hole