Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Member
    If you can't remember how to change oil, get someone to show you first hand.

2. Member
    Im 66 still do it myself.No way our dealer is only 20 bucks more.Our dealer wants around 300 to do oil and filter and fuel filter I can do it myself for under 100 with synthetic in half the time it takes to drive to dealer and back.I buy oil when I see it on sale.

Quote Originally Posted by BigFishSteve View Post
    If you can't remember how to change oil, get someone to show you first hand.
    If you can’t remember how to change oil then you probably have dementia.

4. Member

Was having the oil changed by the dealer after new Ram 1500 purchase in 2015 until after one oil change the engine was idling rough. Checked oil level and oil was 5-6 inches above full mark. Proceeded to drain back to normal level and drained seven quarts until normal. Engine idle returned to smooth.

Did they not drain and just add 7 quarts or drain and add 14 quarts? I brought the oil in a container back to the dealer and asked the service writer why I had to drain seven quarts. No answer except for how did I know it was seven quarts. I told him I measured it as I poured it out of the drain pan back into the container. They did another oil change supposedly. Never been back. Do my own again.

They also supposedly top off liquid levels and I saw my window washer fluid full to the top but clear. Removed some and it sure looked like water to me.

As another member mentioned earlier, difficult to trust.

Quote Originally Posted by PJ-Rohlf View Post
    I always do the service center at the dealer. Not the independent quick lube down the lane. Like above the price for tire rotation and rest of fluids checked/filled is about a wash with what it costs for the oil and the filter these days.
    The guy changing the oil on your new $70,000 truck is probably the owners nephew making 8 bucks an hour. Dealers aren’t really any better than the quick lube places. They aren’t paying factory trained techs to change oil.

At 63 yrs old I still change my oil in my truck and my wifes vehicle. Its easy, saves money and its done right.
    2024 Phoenix 818, Mercury 175 (3B414035) Trick Steps, 3 Garmin 106 SV,s, LVS 34. BoatEFX dual bow mount. Ionic 12V 125AH, 2 12V 100 ah LiTime’s for the TM. Minn Kota 345 PCL charger,

7. Member
    I'm 78 and change my own oil all the time and as I'm doing it I look for other things that could go wrong, like belts and tires ?

8. Member
    We have 5 vehicles now so that's my main reason I'd be at the oil change place constantly! I like the ability of being able to let it drain from cold. I can park it in the shop the night before pull the plug and walk away for an hour. It has never made sense to me to drive a hot engine into an oil change place and 20 minutes later your driving it out with 75% new oil in it.
    ~~1995 Gambler~~

Mercury 250 ProXS
    Bobs 10" AJ
    Dual Power Poles
    2-HB 1199's HB 1158 HB 597 in dash
    Ultrex 112

"Runs like a cheetah... with his @$$ on fire"

9. Member
    Change my own exclusively. My daughters can get on a creeper and change theirs as fast as I can. I don't give my money away. About a year ago, Ford offered me a free oil change and I took them up on it. Next time I changed the oil, I found that they had crossthreaded the drain plug and I had to deal with finding a new one. Never again.

And it beyond pisses me off that the quick lube places charge an extra $10 to drop the skid plate cover to get to the filter. It is four bolts--takes less than 30 seconds to drop the window.

I'm 63 and I change my own oil. I'm like others have said I'm careful with my equipment.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lakefolk View Post
    I take it to the dealer,,, after the cost of parts it's MAYBE 20 bucks more,,
    for 20 bucks i aint messing with it........
    and they check and fill all the other stuff too and rotate the tires.
    That's my system

A little more than $20 difference around here, but even if it was cheaper, I don’t trust others to do it anymore. I’ve had first hand experience with cross threaded drain plugs and missing washers. I also know how long it takes for my oil to drain, completely. It seems they finish up a little quicker than they should. I use synthetic, and their up charge for synthetic seems significant as well.

12. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveBrabec View Post
    Our dealer wants around 300 to do oil and filter and fuel filter
    Good lord, that's highway robbery.......
    YOU are not entitled to what I have earned!!!!!

2014 Phoenix 619 Pro / 2014 Mercury 200 Pro XS

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fishin couillon View Post
    Good lord, that's highway robbery.......
    Depending on what he drives... I have a Ram Ecodiesel, and before any domestic/aftermarket filters came along each filter was over $50 (oil, air, fuel), and then it takes like 11 quarts of Rotella T6. The filters are still outrageous.

14. Banned
    7 vehicles on the road with oil change intervals every 3k and 3 boats serviced once a year .... an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure....

Quote Originally Posted by Lil’erRed View Post
    7 vehicles on the road with oil change intervals every 3k and 3 boats serviced once a year .... an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure....
    Why 3000 mile intervals? That hasn’t been a thing since I was a teenager 30 years ago. Not trying to sound rude but you’re just throwing money away changing oil every 3000 miles unless there are some extenuating circumstances.

16. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by BigSexyPhoenix View Post
    Why 3000 mile intervals? That hasn’t been a thing since I was a teenager 30 years ago. Not trying to sound rude but you’re just throwing money away changing oil every 3000 miles unless there are some extenuating circumstances.
    Grandfather was a very good mechanic and my uncle had a camero I helped him fix when I was young inside motor was clean as a pin,bearings looked new...... I stuck to it and have run several vehicles over 300k and a truck over 500k

17. Member
    You guy's working on your own cars/trucks is how I was able to retire early as a auto tech!

18. Member
    I had an issue Saturday while changing my oil. I usually always use fram because I like the little rubber grip on the end of the filter. This time I was at TSC and bought their filters instead. I swapped the filter,put the plug in, and refilled it. As I drove the truck over to the house. I noticed oil pouring out of the bottom of the truck. I shut it down and saw it was coming out around the filter. I checked to see that the filter was tight and it was. I checked the # on the box to verify the right application vehicle. I pulled the filter off to check the number and it had the right number on it. Checking it against the old one it was about 1/2" smaller in diameter.
    So this made me think... I could see someone at walmart swapping filters in boxes and really causing havoc for people.
    ~~1995 Gambler~~

Mercury 250 ProXS
    Bobs 10" AJ
    Dual Power Poles
    2-HB 1199's HB 1158 HB 597 in dash
    Ultrex 112

"Runs like a cheetah... with his @$$ on fire"

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BigSexyPhoenix View Post
    The guy changing the oil on your new $70,000 truck is probably the owners nephew making 8 bucks an hour. Dealers aren’t really any better than the quick lube places. They aren’t paying factory trained techs to change oil.
    Lol.. wish I owned a 70k truck.
    Fish have fins, they swim

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Babe Winkleworm View Post
    I had an issue Saturday while changing my oil. I usually always use fram because I like the little rubber grip on the end of the filter. This time I was at TSC and bought their filters instead. I swapped the filter,put the plug in, and refilled it. As I drove the truck over to the house. I noticed oil pouring out of the bottom of the truck. I shut it down and saw it was coming out around the filter. I checked to see that the filter was tight and it was. I checked the # on the box to verify the right application vehicle. I pulled the filter off to check the number and it had the right number on it. Checking it against the old one it was about 1/2" smaller in diameter.
    So this made me think... I could see someone at walmart swapping filters in boxes and really causing havoc for people.
    Now that's just cruel swapping filters and boxes. Just ain't right but it made me laugh.
    when you see this on the water stop and say hi.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast