Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

USA Oil weights and changing own oil.

I have the space again to start doing my own oil changes again. I am curious why oil weights have changed? It used to be recommended for 10-30 & 10-40w oils in vehicles but now has changed to 5-20w and 5-30w. I am also trying to remember what all I used to check and change...So tell me what's your system?
    ~~1995 Gambler~~

Mercury 250 ProXS
    Bobs 10" AJ
    Dual Power Poles
    2-HB 1199's HB 1158 HB 597 in dash
    Ultrex 112

"Runs like a cheetah... with his @$$ on fire"

2. Ft Gibson Lake America lakefolk's Avatar
    I take it to the dealer,,, after the cost of parts it's MAYBE 20 bucks more,,
    for 20 bucks i aint messing with it........
    and they check and fill all the other stuff too and rotate the tires.
    That's my system

"Being a winner is more than getting a first place trophy, it is acting like the effort was an honor and the trophy is just a decoration."

"A successful man is one who can lay a firm foundation with the bricks others have thrown at him"

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lakefolk View Post
    Same for me
    Bass Boat
    Powered by an outboard
    Electronics at helm and up front
    Pulled by my truck

4. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    I’m a way more careful mechanic than the oil change person most places. I never cross thread drain plugs or forget to add new oil.

Lower viscosity reflects engine changes to improve fuel mileage.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

5. Member
    Oil weights have changed because engines and their tolerances have changed. I have a local small town repair shop change mine, at 65 I'm not crawling underneath vehicles anymore.

6. Banned
    I am 70 and change my own, but I use synthetic and change the filter at 7000 miles and add whatever it needs to top it off. Next 7000 gets a complete change with filter.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CatFan View Post
    I’m a way more careful mechanic than the oil change person most places. I never cross thread drain plugs or forget to add new oil.

I always do the service center at the dealer. Not the independent quick lube down the lane. Like above the price for tire rotation and rest of fluids checked/filled is about a wash with what it costs for the oil and the filter these days.
    Fish have fins, they swim

8. Member
    I also got tired of having to take the used oil somewhere to get rid of it.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CatFan View Post

Yep my neighbor just came home the other day from getting is oil changed noticed. A huge puddle under the truck got underneath the drain plug was hand tight.

10. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by unknown angler View Post
    I have a friend who heats his shop with it. I can almost always get free beer or coffee when I drop it off!
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

11. Member
    I would buy the oil at the NAPA store and have to take the used oil to Auto Zone.

12. Member
    In thr summer i run 5 quarts of 5w30 and 2 of 5w20. Winter I switch it to 5 of 5w20 and 2 of 5w30.

I change every 5k miles to make it easy. 50k 55k 60k etc
    2022 Hog Island Skiff
    Johnson 70/40 jet

Bouncin' off rocks, and catching the smallies.

Potomac River Smallmouth Guide

Owner of Potomac Custom Tackle

I used to change my own oil but the truck I have now it’s a pain to get to the filter. I can take it somewhere for the same price or cheaper.

Used to change mine back in the day, now I don't. When I did it myself, I always used Mobil 1 synthetic. It was $3 and change. Looked at it the other day at Wally World and it was over $10/quart. Son!

I change my own. My fault I'm sure but do not trust other people. Its either 1/2 quart low or high and never trust that they but the correct oil in. If I could find someplace I trust Id let them do it for sure.
    2022 Caymas cx20pro 250 Pro XS s/n 3B099812

16. Member
    For me dropping off oil at my leisure is easier and more convenient than scheduling an appointment to have it serviced and then wait for the shop to take their sweet time getting it done.
    Last edited by Dixie-Raven; 01-24-2022 at 10:38 AM.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lakefolk View Post
    and they check and fill all the other stuff too and rotate the tires.
    That's my system

I change my own oil in my 1993 Suburban because I can crawl under it without putting it on a lift. I can run either 5W-30 or 10W-30 conventional oil. Since I couldn't find 5W30 a few oil changes ago and since I don't drive it in the winter, I went with the 10W-30. I also grease the chassis myself, as the oil change guys always miss at least one of the 11 fittings.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

Smith Mountain Lake, VA and a cottage in Ontario
    Oil weights have changed because engines and their tolerances have changed. I have a local small town repair shop change mine, at 65 I'm not crawling underneath vehicles anymore.
    Ironically at age 65 I've begun to change my own oil and rotate my tires after not doing so for maybe 20 years. Mostly it is for convenience of not having to drive to town and sit around for a couple of hours but also it is to save a few dollars as I see possible retirement in the future and needing to tighten the belt a bit. One exception might be my Mustang, its just a pain to get under that car.

20. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    When i was younger, i did my own, but everytime i got under the truck, i'd get vertigo, so eventually stopped doing, it, just bring to dealer.....

There are plenty of places to dump the oil but the problem i ran into was the oil filter.....My local Walmart used to take them but eventually stopped.....now let the dealer take care of that...
    YOU are not entitled to what I have earned!!!!!

2014 Phoenix 619 Pro / 2014 Mercury 200 Pro XS

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast