Thread: Trailer Work?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Trailer Work?

15 year old Ranger Trail still in great shape but would like to "go through it" if you will checking hardware, fresh carpet on the bunks, wiring, frame coating, etc. Short of leaving it in someones dock for a couple of days which is not an option, or jacking with it in the public ramp parking lot for a few days, how does a guy knock out some preventative maintenance on an empty trailer?

Replacing wheel bearings last year I noticed a section of surface rust peeling away under the trailer coating on one side which I removed and recoated with POR15. Would have never seen it without the tires and wheels removed.

I try to give it a good once over when the boat is launched but there is some side board hardware that needs to be replaced which is not possible with a loaded trailer and I don't want to just replace the hardware without removing the sideboards and see what might be hiding under there. My OCD and belief in the old "pay me now or pay me more later" saying is a curse that feeds my need to address potential problems before they actually become a problem. It sucks being busted down on the side of the road 100 miles from home base.

2. Member
    Go somewhere that stores boats in a wharehouse And moves them with a forklift. They usually only store boats by the month but as long as they have space they can probably help you out for a Jackson or two.

3. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    This ^^. Big marinas that deal with hundreds of boats each season [putting them into the water at the beginning of the season, pulling them out at the end, and storing them] also typically do routine maintenance for their customers. Since they use lifts to store most of the bigger boats on racks, they certainly have the ability to lift your boat, set it on blocks, go over your trailer, and then replace on trailer when finished. Find a marina that does this type of work, and does it this time of year.
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio

4. Expert at Retired RangrSkipr's Avatar
    Don't have any marinas with that kind of capability in these parts

At the risk of taking on the appearance of a redneck I suppose it will turn into a long day event in the parking lot at the local ramp

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RangerFive1Niner View Post

At the risk of taking on the appearance of a redneck I suppose it will turn into a long day event in the parking lot at the local ramp
    I bet it wouldn’t be a big deal to knock out in the parking lot, I just had to do the same to tighten some hardware I couldn’t access with the boat in. Try to pre build new carpeted bunks to save time.
    2020 Nitro Z20 Pro Package

Quote Originally Posted by RangerFive1Niner View Post

Don't see that as a problem I've replaced bunks a few times at Ramp parking lot

2009 ELITE 210

7. Member
    Jack the rear of the boat up off the trailer and then put some blocks under it. Now jack up the front and put it on blocks. Start pulling the trailer forward. You will need another set of blocks as each time you come to a cross bar, you will need to jack the front up again and replace blocks until you pull the trailer completely away from the boat.
    I just did this on a Ranger 520

When I replaced the bunk boards on my boat, I cut and carpeted new boards and threw them in the truck with the tools before heading to the lake. I just beached the boat and did all the work in the parking lot using the outlet at the bathroom.

9. Expert at Retired RangrSkipr's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hogman View Post
    When I replaced the bunk boards on my boat, I cut and carpeted new boards and threw them in the truck with the tools before heading to the lake. I just beached the boat and did all the work in the parking lot using the outlet at the bathroom.
    Sounds like this will be the plan. I like the jacking the boat off the trailer idea, but I can see that turning into a horribly bad day for this old guy.

10. Moderator
    Do most of my trailer work at a boat ramp parking lot. Usually during the week when there's no crowd. Just make sure you bring everything you need.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by plbass View Post
    Do most of my trailer work at a boat ramp parking lot. Usually during the week when there's no crowd. Just make sure you bring everything you need.
    Last sentence is great advice. All I asked is that folks put the tools in the bed of my truck after I have loaned them. Have found every tool, plus cash and beer when I returned from fishing.

12. New England Forum Moderator twitch's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bassdge View Post
    Jack the rear of the boat up off the trailer and then put some blocks under it. Now jack up the front and put it on blocks. Start pulling the trailer forward. You will need another set of blocks as each time you come to a cross bar, you will need to jack the front up again and replace blocks until you pull the trailer completely away from the boat.
    I just did this on a Ranger 520
    Just as stated above, Paulrodbender just did his he probably be along with a pic or two shortly . As long as you have an area to let it sit for a couple days
    1990 374V Ranger Still kickin' bass after all these years

13. Member
    If you take your boat to a storage lot take your prop off. I also recommend you take a smaller ball peen hammer and tap firmly on every where there's a weld, and down the sides listening for rusted areas.

Am I the only one wondering WTH KLNK is?
    There was a time that I didn't fish but I cannot remember it.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Macsimus View Post
    Am I the only one wondering WTH KLNK is?
    You are not. Every time I see it, I think of Klink on Hogan’s Hero’s.

When I change bunks, I just do it at the ramp with battery operated tools. When I completely reworked my trailer about 4 years ago, I rented a slip at a marina to put the boat in for about 6 weeks. That was a mistake. Got a little dock rash on the boat and in hindsight I would much rather have done the "boat stack" thing. That said, the trailer was well worth the effort and the end result was terrific. Stripped the trailer, POR-15'd everything, then coated with two coats of herculiner. Replaced one spindle, all bearings and races, new brake lines throughout, all bunks and hardware (stainless), new winch, new wire harness throughout, new LED lights everywhere, new Fulton F2 jack, new tires and wheels, new stainless boat buckles. Basically the only thing that remained was the frame.

Quote Originally Posted by twitch View Post
    Just as stated above, Paulrodbender just did his he probably be along with a pic or two shortly . As long as you have an area to let it sit for a couple days
    Im here…..
    DDC3C035-3055-491A-9975-AE8AE9805D46.jpeg6E0A20A8-FF96-4A15-87BF-44C6EB611D09.jpeg5AA1D4E4-552E-4B28-9CA8-AFD6FF9F3DA3.jpeg

18. Member
    If you launch at ramp to do the work, try your hardest to have someone with you to run for parts or forgotten tools.

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Five1Niner View Post
    Check with your local fiberglass repair shop. Not sure what they'd charge, but they'd have the lift to remove the boat from the trailer.

Wish you were closer. I built a set of showroom dollies just for this purpose. jack the back and front rolled it out a bit and set it on the rear dollie, jack the front again and pull the trailer out more and dropped it on the front Dollie. Once on it, My daughter and me were able to roll it around the garage. Yes , I am referring to the 223 ChampioN. If anyone knows a metal fabricator and wants to build a set, I may still have my plans around for them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast