16v lithium battery

anybody jump in this new craze of running a 16v lithium battery for ur graphs. just wondering if ur seeing better images etc.

2. Member
    Is there a high output alternator or charger part of this equation? If it is within your electronics spec's it will work for them.(anything that is hooked up to that battery must also tolerate the higher voltage) Bob
    Tell me where has a slow movin' once quick draw outlaw got to go

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bobcoy View Post
    Is there a high output alternator or charger part of this equation? If it is within your electronics spec's it will work for them.(anything that is hooked up to that battery must also tolerate the higher voltage) Bob
    its looks like the helix 12 can support up to 20 volts

4. Member
    Most finders will work up to 20 volts. What else will be sharing that battery? Just make sure everything powered by that battery is ok with voltages as high as it gets. Keep in mind it will probably put out over 18 volts. The normal LifeP04 batteries are rated at 12.8 volts but put out over 13.5 v. Most things on a boat will handle it if they are rated for marine use. Might be careful with usb chargers and other modern electronics. For charging about 18 or so volts will be needed. Bob
    Tell me where has a slow movin' once quick draw outlaw got to go

5. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Our 16 volt Impulse lithium is the real deal.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bobcoy View Post
    Most finders will work up to 20 volts. What else will be sharing that battery? Just make sure everything powered by that battery is ok with voltages as high as it gets. Keep in mind it will probably put out over 18 volts. The normal LifeP04 batteries are rated at 12.8 volts but put out over 13.5 v. Most things on a boat will handle it if they are rated for marine use. Might be careful with usb chargers and other modern electronics. For charging about 18 or so volts will be needed. Bob
    yea it would be a stand alone battery for a couple helix 12's and a live

7. Member
    cant believe nobody has tried one

8. Winter can end now..... BoatBuggy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix 920 Pro XP View Post
    cant believe nobody has tried one
    The only practical reason I can see to get one is if the wiring of the boat to the bow is undersized and loses a lot of voltage along the run. A 16V battery will add back the voltage that gets lost and there will be a good 12+ volts at the end of the run. If the wiring is good, a regular 12V lithium will provide the necessary 12+V until its dead and can also double as a temp replacement if a lithium troller bites the dust. Also, you'll also need another charger for the 16V.

My .02 only. If you get one let us know what you think.
    2013 Ranger Z520c, 2013 Yamaha 250 SHO
    2018 Ranger RT198p, 2013 Mercury 150 Optimax

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BoatBuggy View Post
    The only practical reason I can see to get one is if the wiring of the boat to the bow is undersized and loses a lot of voltage along the run. A 16V battery will add back the voltage that gets lost and there will be a good 12+ volts at the end of the run. If the wiring is good, a regular 12V lithium will provide the necessary 12+V until its dead and can also double as a temp replacement if a lithium troller bites the dust. Also, you'll also need another charger for the 16V.

supplying more power to the graphs 12v vs 16 v) and or mega live should improve images quite a bit i would think. the mega live obviously needs more power to compete with livescope this could be the answer

10. Winter can end now..... BoatBuggy's Avatar
    supplying more power to the graphs 12v vs 16 v) and or mega live should improve images quite a bit i would think. the mega live obviously needs more power to compete with livescope this could be the answer
    Perhaps but no one was able to answer the "better images" question in this BBC thread not too long ago - http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=1159249.

Even though I haven't seen mega live in person yet, I suspect mega live would benefit from more processing power than more voltage.
    2013 Ranger Z520c, 2013 Yamaha 250 SHO
    2018 Ranger RT198p, 2013 Mercury 150 Optimax

Perhaps but no one was able to answer the "better images" question in this BBC thread not too long ago - http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=1159249.

Even though I haven't seen mega live in person yet, I suspect mega live would benefit from more processing power than more voltage.
    I suspect you are right about the processing power and Mega Live,, Maybe adding a black box with processing power would help with the locking up issue as it should take a load off the main unit ,,, don't know if that's the case but it stands to reason
    but on the more voltage producing better images one would think it should work but on the videos I have watched no difference could be seen , RMP has a video on this with LS ,, Maybe it would work better on ML

anybody jump in this new craze of running a 16v lithium battery for ur graphs. just wondering if ur seeing better images etc.
    I did it primarily because I couldn't get rid of the interference in my graphs. I did it as a test mainly but I did run a dedicated circuit for both graphs. I chose the 16v because it gives more usable voltage range from fully charged and I didn't want it to charge from the motor while on the water. In my case I don't have any FFS so my amp hour requirement was pretty low with just a Helix and Echomap so I got a 20Ah battery for the test and it worked great. The images were better since the interference was gone but not the higher voltage.

13. USAF and DOD retired Phoenix Jim's Avatar
    I did and definitely got a clearer image on my three solix units. Not just because I switched to lithium but more so because I now have a dedicated battery for my electronics. Used to typically run 11 volts in no time and now a constant 16v
    2018 Phoenix 920 Pro XP

14. Member

I have a livescope powered with a 16 volt that i keep in the rod locker & it works great & don't have to worry about running a starting battery down that has 2 helix units on it already, 2 areators & when it's summer 2 blacklights too.

15. BBC SPONSOR
    Are you running a dedicated wiring harness? I would start there and get a dedicated power source to your units

As far as the 12v vs 16v. We sell both types of batteries and I don't feel you will see image gains between the two lithiums 12v vs 16v

If you need to discuss anything regarding this please PM me

16. Member
    Yup, running a Norsk 20AH 16.8 volt on my LS set up, works great, fish all day and it only drops to about 14.5 volts.

Added a Amped Outdoors 16v 48ah lithium for my front Garmin 106SV with the transducer mounted to the TM. The battery was in the right front storage compartment. Too much TM interference running it off my starting battery in the back of the boat (actually, center floor). Adding another 106SV to the dash (replacing a Helix 9 GPS) and networking the two while running off the same battery which will move to under the drivers console. My Helix 9 SI and 10 SI network (one dash, one bow) will stay on the starting battery for now.

Have no proof that the SI display was better after the switch but it looked to me like the display was sharper. Maybe just my brain saying "yes, good switch" but IDK.
    2018 Skeeter MX1825 w/175 Yamaha 4-Stroke
    80# MK Ultrex w/ I-Pilot
    HB Helix 10 SI Mega, HB Helix 9 SI, Helix 9, Garmin 106SV
    USAF Ret