G2 Oil Filter Change

I'm doing my 5 year service and need to replace the oil filter.

I ordered one and this is what I received. It looks like the inline fuel filter and doesn't look at all like my current oil filter. My search shows me the original part number 5009439 has been replaced by 5011891 so I'm guessing I'm good to go. Just wondering if that looks right to you guys.

Also, the service manual states that you have to use EVDiag software to purge the oil system but it seems that I have seen in another Evinrude pub that you can use the throttle winterization procedure to purge the oil system. Is there a proper way to replace the oil filter without using EVDiag?

1994 201 Champ re-powered with a 250 HO G2 E250LHAFA 05438419

2. Member
    I cannot speak to the EV diag purging.
    Notice how the old filter has a smaller head molded to the bottom of the filter and the tie strap retainers.
    Notice the new filter has a larger head molded to the bottom of the filter and the different retaining clip. This filter is ok the use. It’s just a different manufacturing design. You may or may not need the newer retaining clip. Hopefully the instructions cover this.

Thank you. Maybe I misunderstood the service manual. It does not specifically describe an oil filter change procedure. It does say any time the oil system is disassembled for service or parts replacement the system must be primed.

4. Member
    What do the instructions in the parts bag call out?

It would get messy but I know if I first fill the new filter with oil and connect the bottom hose. I would cap off the bottom of the old filter to prevent drainage. Then remove the upper hose and quickly connect the upper hose, I could install the filter without any air getting into the line. I would have removed the clamps and twisted the hoses to loosen them first.
    If did get air in the line I would run the winterize program 2-3 times to purge it out. A single small air bubble will not be an issue.

Basically, replace and then prime; "refer to the appropriate service manual."

It was in the PDI Guide where it said you can winterize to prime the oiling system if EVDIAG is not available.

Here's what I ended up doing.

I first cut off the lower Oetiker clamp and removed the hose from the bottom of the filter. I had a helper keep a thumb over the inlet to the old filter to keep it from draining while I connected the hose to the inlet of the new filter and secured it with a new Oetiker clamp. I then let the new filter fill by gravity. Once filled, I had my helper put a thumb over the outlet of the new filter. Then I cut off the clamp at the top of the old filter, disconnected the upper hose and secured it to the outlet of the new filter with a second Oetiker.

I then ran the winterizing procedure from my 3.5c touch screen. I checked all the oil feed hoses for air. Tiny bubbles only. No bubbles of significant size. I probably didn't need to but I ran the winterizing procedure a couple of more times just to be sure all the air was removed from the system. A light behind the filter showed that it was completely full.

It was actually pretty easy to do with a second pair of hands.