Thread: Reel Styles

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    NC Bass Club/Yamaha Motors Moderator BuzzB8's Avatar

Reel Styles

About 6 years ago I changed the way I handle my reels and techniques.
    I used to use all right handed reels, casting right, switching hands, then working the baits. Now I don't switch on bottom baits. For pitching jigs, senco, C-rig type lures, I've taught myself to use a lefty reel. No need to switch hands and reacting to fast bites is much better.

Does anyone else do that?

2. Member
    Yep, Right handed and use left handed reels. 20 years ago it was hard to find left handed reels, now is different and just about every brand has them.

3. Member
    I did the same thing only with spinning gear. Cast my casting gear with my left and reel with my right, ditto for my spinning gear.

4. Member
    Cast right, crank right. I noticed that I had to potential to miss fish while passing the rod over to my left hand while p/f. Trained myself to pitch with my left. In the process of teaching myself to skip left hand for a different angle instead of repositioning the boat.

5. Member
    I'm 80 this year. Believe me, you can't teach THIS dog new tricks. I'll cast righty and then switch hands for the next 10.

6. Member
    Right handed but have learned to cast with left and no changing hands. Doesn't really help my old ass from missing fish though!
    2020 Caymas CX21 Pro
    Mercury 250 Pro XS
    Serial# 2B686100

Balancing stress on the body is important, if you fish mulitiple days in a row, wrists, elbows and shoulders. Learned that in my 30s, developed wrist issues. Went back to traditional, but also learned to cast both hands, which improved my angles on cover too.

8. Member
    Left hand has been on the handle since I started fishing...no sense in changing that now.

It was difficult to find BC's at one point, but not a problem anymore.

Right handed. Cast with left or right. I prefer right handed reels for baitcasting.
    BassCat Sabre FTD
    Mercury 150 Optimax
    "It's just fishing"

10. Member
    This is one advantage of being a lefty. I don't have to switch using my baitcaster.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by billnorman1 View Post
    I'm 80 this year. Believe me, you can't teach THIS dog new tricks. I'll cast righty and then switch hands for the next 10.

Who has missed a fish changing hands?

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Perry View Post
    Who has missed a fish changing hands?
    I can’t say that I have. I usually switch hands while bait is still in the air,stopping the spool with my left thumb. I’ve tried cranking and casting left handed,it won’t work no matter what. I can’t get my left hand to smoothly crank a BC.

Quote Originally Posted by Rip Bass View Post
    I can’t say that I have. I usually switch hands while bait is still in the air
    Same here.

15. Member
    Old enough not to change....I don't believe my brain could weather the storm. If I miss a fish switching.....tough! I don't recall it happening in 40 years.

16. Member
    Learn to use left or right handed reels.When you get older you will be able to fish longer.My right shoulder is shot and cant cast all day with right arm anymore. To throw bigger things I use a right handed reel and cast with left arm.

17. Member
    I listen to a seminar by Tommy Biffle about switching. He made enough of an impression that I switch some 25 years ago. Had tendonitis in the elbows. I didn't have the strength in them (especially the right) and finally switched. Even though I'm right handed it is hard to go back to a right handed reel. The problem I find now is finding the gear ratios that I prefer in certain reels.
    2019 Phoenix 919 Pro XP
    225 Mercury 4 Stroke ProXS (# 2B591262)
    MinnKota Ultrex trolling motor
    Lowrance HDS Carbons

Back in 80 I re trained my self to cast left handed with casting rods and reel right handed to never have to "switch" hands.... And I also trained myself to cast right handed and reel left handed with spinning rods.... No switching for me... Several of my friends did the same at that time. I'm glad I did it. Less hassle and more efficient.

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

It's always interesting to see how people approach things differently. In the end itsabout personal preference and comfort.

20. Proud American Union local16's Avatar
    I’ve always cast with right hand and reel with my left. There was a time when left handed reels were ver6 limited. No so today.

Dale Sinclair original

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast