Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

John Deere class action.

I have to side with the farmers on this one to repair their own equipment. https://techstory.in/john-deere-hit-...pair-monopoly/

2. Member
    Watched a debate on this on Fox T V. I don't know which side I'm on. One thing I sided with farmers on is having to reprogram the E C U or equivalent if you change an item in the circuit.

That and emissions could be effected and make a frog sick at the edge of their fields while they work 1000 acres.
    Last edited by billnorman1; 01-22-2022 at 05:46 AM.

3. Member
    Knowing the cost to carry a tractor in for repair, and the pretty small margins of farming, makes sense to me want to repair a tractor yourself. I do as much as I can to save $. Those with JD equipment are in a bind, there are other brand options out there, albeit not always convenient. Would think one of the other tractor manufacturers would consider going the other way and talk about how a farmer can repair their own tractors.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by billnorman1 View Post
    Watched a debate on this on Fox T V. I don't know which side I'm on. One thing I sided with farmers on is having to reprogram the E C U or equivalent if you change an item in the circuit.

That and emissions could be effected and make a frog sick at the edge of their fields while they work 1000 acres.
    John Deere didn’t do this because of emissions. It effects every system on the things. It’s a money grab and since they can’t always even supply timely support(ignoring the cost) it’s a terrible one. What I can’t figure out is why anyone still buys green tractors. Loss of sales would fix the problem faster than lawsuits.

more importantly if John Deere doesn’t lose you’ll eventually feel it in your wallet when your car breaks and only can change a door lock because it has to be programmed to the car and they sue all third party’s who offer programmers. That’s where we are headed, you basically will own worthless junk without the software they control. You already see it where Tesla remotely removes features from cars that are sold to new owners.
    Last edited by bfrank; 01-22-2022 at 05:52 AM.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bfrank View Post
    John Deere didn’t do this because of emissions. It effects every system on the things. It’s a money grab and since they can’t always even supply timely support(ignoring the cost) it’s a terrible one. What I can’t figure out is why anyone still buys green tractors. Loss of sales would fix the problem faster than lawsuits.
    I'm sure. I would think JD would be happy to help the farmer should something they sold break down. Farmers should think about this before they buy.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by billnorman1 View Post
    I'm sure. I would think JD would be happy to help the farmer should something they sold break down. Farmers should think about this before they buy.
    I think the issue is dealer networks and timely service.(no personal experience but from the stuff I’ve read/watched) They will gladly fix it, eventually, when they get too you, which doesn’t work well for getting stuff into/out of the ground.

7. Banned
    Really big farms have there on parts and the inventory is constantly in communication with JD aswell as the newest equipment is constantly monitored and when a fault appears the parts are instantaneously sent to the farm for repair so I’m a bit confused on how”big father” JD can be in the wrong here...... side note this technology acts as a deterrent for theft for interchangeable part purposes

8. Member
    this is akin to folks with outboards doing work on them they no nothing about except what they see on the net sometimes it works out sometimes it makes a bigger mess by working on the wrong problem. it is not in jd s interest to not repair products that all will need repair sooner than later.

9. Member
    This is the very reason I keep an old EFI 2 stroke outboard and older model vehicles that i work on myself. I will not be held hostage by any stealership or manufacturer. Farmers are very resourceful independent folks as well that like to do all their own work.
    "Luminous beings are we not this crude matter." Yoda

10. Banned
    What we need is a federal "right to repair" law. Some states have already taken that initiative. Apple back tracked and is now suppling independent shops with service manuals and access to parts/software for repair needs.

I have a feeling JD will lose in court. And then it's only a matter of time before this is handled on a national level.

11. Member
    I'm on the farmers side.

12. Member
    Why this type of practice is against the law for vehicles but permitted for tractors is beyond me. I hope the farmers win.

13. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by DMart1 View Post
    Why this type of practice is against the law for vehicles but permitted for tractors is beyond me. I hope the farmers win.
    There is no "right to repair" law with regards to motor vehicles. Manufacturers have no obligation to provide service information to third parties. Manufacturers do not provide proprietary software to third party mechanics. That being said OBD and OBDII are law, and as such are required to be on every vehicle. Since it is a federal standard those codes and readers are available to third party service centers. Parts are also widely available via third party vendors. But if your ECU needs to be flashed with the latest update you'll need an authorized service center to do it.

Sadly, that is the heart of this lawsuit. There are no federal OBD laws when it comes to anything other than motor vehicles. And John Deere uses proprietary software to control their modern farm equipment. No one other than a John Deere authorized service center has access to the tools and software needed to diagnose an issue.

We need a federal Right to Repair law in place that covers all repairable products. From your smart phone to a combine. The parent companies will still hold the keys to their proprietary software, which is fine, but service documentation and diagnostic tools should be available to the public.

14. Member
    The Feds are not the answer. Too bad it's soooooo damned hard to open competition in America.

15. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by n2ratfishin View Post
    The Feds are not the answer. Too bad it's soooooo damned hard to open competition in America.
    If it isn't the feds then it'll be taken up piecemeal by the states. And that will suck for a long long time.

16. Member
    john deere is like many boat motor manufacturers they don want stuff that isnt broke fixed. if the farmers dont like it there are other tractor builders.

17. Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by ssmithboats View Post
    john deere is like many boat motor manufacturers they don want stuff that isnt broke fixed. if the farmers dont like it there are other tractor builders.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bfrank View Post
    I think the issue is dealer networks and timely service.(no personal experience but from the stuff I’ve read/watched) They will gladly fix it, eventually, when they get too you, which doesn’t work well for getting stuff into/out of the ground.
    This is exactly it. 25 years ago there were a bunch of independent Deere dealerships. There was competition between them to do a good job and get repairs done quickly. Now mother Deere has allowed all the dealerships to be consolidated regionally to mega dealerships So now you have owners with 10 to however many dealerships. If you don’t like how your local Deere store services you then you can go to another store that has the same owner. I don’t call that competition. During harvest you may wait 3 days or more to get a tech out to look at your broken equipment. This is one reason for farmers wanting to repair their own equipment and the other is the outrageous prices the service department charges to work on and travel to your equipment

19. Member

USA greedy bastards

Quote Originally Posted by Riccochet View Post
    If it isn't the feds then it'll be taken up piecemeal by the states. And that will suck for a long long time.
    The auto industry tried to pull this B.S. a few years ago. Caterpillar tried the same thing. They lost in Federal court. They tried to say you could not install even a simple stamped fender on a car unless it was made by the O.E.M. manufacturer. They wanted to tie it all up. It would have doubled the cost to repair their products, while unfairly lining their pockets. I know they are idiots out
    there that will come running to defend the corrupt manufactures. They will say they have a right to say what is installed on their product. When you buy it, it now belongs to you. If they had their
    way, they would only be one manufacturer of parts, the O.E.M. They try to use warranty to screw the consumer.

20. Member
    I lease my property to a big farmer and can tell ya he deals with this constantly! His tractors will just shut down on a fault and he can't get a technician out for weeks. Quite often it is a 30 minutes sensor repair. Hard to make a living when your equipment won't run.
    ~~1995 Gambler~~

Mercury 250 ProXS
    Bobs 10" AJ
    Dual Power Poles
    2-HB 1199's HB 1158 HB 597 in dash
    Ultrex 112

"Runs like a cheetah... with his @$$ on fire"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast