High speed spinning reel

In the warmer months I like to drop shot real quick, and I figure I can probably get a few more casts in per hour if I had a higher speed spinning reel. I think cast king and abu (forget which models) make a higher speed gear ratio spinning reel. Lookig for something over 6:3. Maybe 7:0 Plus. Anyone have any ideas who makes higher speed spinning reel?

The Stratic has been 6:1 for the last 15 years

3. Member
    For speed I would focus on the Inches Per Turn (IPT) more than the gear ratio. While they are correlated the gear ratio won't be as precise as the IPT.

Just my opinion: I would look at the size reel you want first (1000, 2500,...). As a general rule the bigger the reel the higher the IPT. I like higher IPT for most of my spinning reels, but it doesn't trump everything else. I wouldn't put a 4000 reel on my ml drop shot rod (I use a Stradic 1000), but that is just me. Here are the specs I found on Tackle Direct for the Shimano Vanfords:

1000 5.1 25 IPT (the stradic model was faster)
    2000 6.1 32 IPT
    2500 6.0 35 IPT
    3000 6.4 37 IPT
    4000 6.2 40 IPT

As far as brands models I like Daiwa and Shimano. The Tatula LTs and Stradics/Vanfords provide me everything I could want, but there are higher end models if you want. I admit I've never felt the ultra high end spinning reels were worth the extra cash. Below the Tatulas/Vanfords I think both Shimano and Daiwa provide excellent options, but I believe Daiwa has more light weight offerings with their LT series than Shimano, if weight is a consideration. I've never fished Kast King, but I would offer a word of caution on the Abus, they have had a problem with the anti-reverse in many of their models. This may have been fixed, but I probably would avoid used Abus especially older models. Again, my opinion.

I'm personally not aware of any 7+ gear ratio spinning reels, but if you look at the IPT of the 6 + gear ratios you will see they are higher than many 8+ baitcasters.

One last note, I believe the IPT listed for reels is usually (always?) based on the last full crank, when the spool is full, so it can be significantly lower at the end of a long cast or with a spool that isn't full.

Good luck in your search.

Last edited by 2eachhisown; 01-23-2022 at 10:06 AM.

4. Member
    Revo Rocket spinning reel is 7.0:1