Stratos 285 magnum

Stratos 285 magnum is 18'6". Rated for 175. I currently have a 175 HPDI on a manual jackplate and 2 power poles. How dumb would it be to put a 200 sho on it. The 175 HPDI weighs 468 lbs. The I4 175 comes in at 480lbs and the V6 200 is 529. These are all weights I've researched online and assume are somewhat accurate. TIA
    2016 Skeeter ZX225. 2016 Yamaha 225SHO
    99 Hells Bay Whipray. 99 Mercury 40

Wouldn't take much of a wake to come over the stern & would be un-insurable
    Always Think Like A Fish.....No Matter How Weird it Is!!

3. Member
    I can't see why the 175 wouldn't be plenty for that hull.
    GETFISHED !!!

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by getfished View Post
    I can't see why the 175 wouldn't be plenty for that hull.
    I wonder if, with availability issues, it’s more a matter of the 200 is what he can get. I missed out on a 175 on here last year. If I’d known that the motor shortage would become a thing, I would’ve grabbed it. The 175 is just hard to find, let alone at a good price.

5. Member
    I had a 285 with a 175 ---performed great with that mtr !
    1988 Ranger 364V
    150HP Merc Black Max

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by okiebass View Post
    I had a 285 with a 175 ---performed great with that mtr !
    Same here. 2004 with 175 johnson 66.8 gps with a decent load & 2 guys at 200 lbs. Fished great too.

I would never put a motor on a boat that’s beyond the horse power rating. You’re asking for nothing but legal problems if you were involved in an accident. And, your insurance company might well leave you hanging out to dry.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

I had a 1986 Stratos VT180 Rocket (18’) that had a 175 or I believe the wording on the plate was 185 hp max. When I bought it, it had a 1986 200 Rude looper motor. Never had issues with the motor size on it. Had it for 17 years running like a banshee.

2008 BULLET 21XD 2007 Merc 300xs

9. Member
    The insurance thing is just something you need to ask them about. I bought a Hydrasport about '05. The boat was insured at Farm Bureu. I gave the fella the money for the boat then went in the insurance office and got a policy. A few weeks later I realized that I was over powered, the boat was rated for a 150 and it had a 175 on it. So I went to Farm Bureu and ask about it. The agent said it was fine and that I could go up to a 200 before it would raise my premium.
    You just need to check with your insurance company because they are all different.
    Performance wise, an extra 25hp with 60lbs of weight, you might see some improvement.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by big_o_tom View Post
    The insurance thing is just something you need to ask them about. I bought a Hydrasport about '05. The boat was insured at Farm Bureu. I gave the fella the money for the boat then went in the insurance office and got a policy. A few weeks later I realized that I was over powered, the boat was rated for a 150 and it had a 175 on it. So I went to Farm Bureu and ask about it. The agent said it was fine and that I could go up to a 200 before it would raise my premium.
    You just need to check with your insurance company because they are all different.
    Performance wise, an extra 25hp with 60lbs of weight, you might see some improvement.
    an agent quoting policy costs, isnt an adjuster or lawyer deciding your liability…. The agent wouldnt be found anywhere when you wreck and takes someones life, but the lawyers would be right there like a shark in a chum slick!

11. Member
    What is the difference between the 285 magnum and a 285 pro xl? I have an 05 pro xl and the rating is a 150 and wasn't sure why it isn't a 175.

Get lithiums to offset the weight. Am I helping?
    Wishing I was Fishing

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stratos81 View Post
    an agent quoting policy costs, isnt an adjuster or lawyer deciding your liability…. The agent wouldnt be found anywhere when you wreck and takes someones life, but the lawyers would be right there like a shark in a chum slick!
    To my knowledge the "magnum" package from the factory had had a jackplate, blinker trim, hotfoot, and a 175 rating.

14. Member
    My concerns regarding this have nothing to do with insurance or going over the HP rating. Just concerned about wether the weight difference will be in some way more detrimental to the performance of the boat than gain in HP. Switching to lithiums is something I've considered. I would imagine if the weights I see online are correct I could prob offset it with lithium batteries.

15. Member
    You could probably go through the boat and take out stuff you don't use and save 30lbs.

Yeah, it’s a dumb idea. Considering the fact your boat would be uninsurable is reason enough not to. Your boat wasn’t designed for anything over 175 HP. Added weight, whether you can offset it with lighter batteries, is least of your worries.
    BassCat Sabre FTD
    Mercury 150 Optimax
    "It's just fishing"

17. Member
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

I can give you my experience with a similar situation. I had a Nitro rated for 135 max. When I bought it, it had a 115 with a 6" JP on it. I wanted more HP and found a 150 XR6 in mint condition. I figured it was only a 50 pound weight difference (350 vs 400). Well that 50 pounds hanging way in the back did make a difference. The tongue weight on the trailer was so light I could pick it up with one hand. Towing was a serious PITA. I ended up having to move my TM batteries to the front compartment to make it safely towable. The other issue was that the transom sat low in the water, which was helped by moving the batteries forward but a wake from the back would wash up onto the carpet. Setting down from running on plane was a slight pain and required attention too. Once on plane and running, it was AWESOME but was not worth all the extra modifications it required. It was not the HP difference that made it a pain, it was the weight.

OBTW, I am in LaGrange GA where the linked motor is for sale. If I can help in any way, let me know.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 06 SB View Post
    I can give you my experience with a similar situation. I had a Nitro rated for 135 max. When I bought it, it had a 115 with a 6" JP on it. I wanted more HP and found a 150 XR6 in mint condition. I figured it was only a 50 pound weight difference (350 vs 400). Well that 50 pounds hanging way in the back did make a difference. The tongue weight on the trailer was so light I could pick it up with one hand. Towing was a serious PITA. I ended up having to move my TM batteries to the front compartment to make it safely towable. The other issue was that the transom sat low in the water, which was helped by moving the batteries forward but a wake from the back would wash up onto the carpet. Setting down from running on plane was a slight pain and required attention too. Once on plane and running, it was AWESOME but was not worth all the extra modifications it required. It was not the HP difference that made it a pain, it was the weight.

OBTW, I am in LaGrange GA where the linked motor is for sale. If I can help in any way, let me know.
    Wasn't the 135 Mercury a detuned 150?

Quote Originally Posted by njpaulc View Post
    Wasn't the 135 Mercury a detuned 150?
    The Optimax was, I do not know about the carb'd versions. I think I would have been OK without the JP but never tried it. The OP has a JP and Power Poles too.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s