Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    156 individuals have been exonerated from death row--that is, found to be innocent and released - since 1973. In other words, for every 10 people who have been executed since the death penalty was reinstated in the U.S., one person has been set free.

Meanwhile the guy who cut my daughter head almost completely off gets a parole hearing every six years.

P01135809

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pavi69 View Post
    156 individuals have been exonerated from death row--that is, found to be innocent and released - since 1973. In other words, for every 10 people who have been executed since the death penalty was reinstated in the U.S., one person has been set free.

Meanwhile the guy who cut my daughter head almost completely off gets a parole hearing every six years.

That is somewhat of a misleading stat. Some of those 156 were guilty as hell but were released on technical violations somewhere along the line in the Justice system. I have seen guys get parole hearings for over 50 years with some dying in prison before they got that parole. If the system wasn't overloaded with stupid drug sentences there would be plenty of room and resources for murder and serious assault perps.

Quote Originally Posted by D.O.C. 989 View Post
    That is somewhat of a misleading stat. Some of those 156 were guilty as hell but were released on technical violations somewhere along the line in the Justice system. I have seen guys get parole hearings for over 50 years with some dying in prison before they got that parole. If the system wasn't overloaded with stupid drug sentences there would be plenty of room and resources for murder and serious assault perps.
    I have no doubt that some of the 156 were technicalities but even if 56 were technicalities, that leaves 100 who were innocent. Maybe a small price to pay for your country but they say, not me, that death penalty is no deterrent for the kind of people who commit murder. Violent people don't care what the penalty is.

P01135809

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pavi69 View Post
    I have no doubt that some of the 156 were technicalities but even if 56 were technicalities, that leaves 100 who were innocent. Maybe a small price to pay for your country but they say, not me, that death penalty is no deterrent for the kind of people who commit murder. Violent people don't care what the penalty is.

Just my opinion but from what i've observed the numbers are likely skewed opposite of what you think. Don't get me wrong though, it would be a huge miscarriage of justice to put one innocent person to death wrongly. Some evil people need to be put to death but also in reality it is cheaper to house them forever than kill them.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tfall View Post
    Bring back Public execution…would be a great deterrent.
    It does not work, the US incarcerates more people per capitol than any other country.

6. Member
    Just my opinion but from what i've observed the numbers are likely skewed opposite of what you think. Don't get me wrong though, it would be a huge miscarriage of justice to put one innocent person to death wrongly. Some evil people need to be put to death but also in reality it is cheaper to house them forever than kill them.
    How could that be possible?

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bandwagon View Post
    It does not work, the US incarcerates more people per capitol than any other country.
    Incarcerate and public execution are two entirely different things.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dixie-Raven View Post
    How could that be possible?

The system I left cost approximately a little less than 27000.00 a year to house an inmate. A typical Death Penalty case will run north of 2 or 3 million dollars before it's all said and done. I been retired for a few years now so the numbers on both ends are likely higher.

9. Member
    For those who are interested, here is a good site for information. Some may think it is a liberal site but if you get past that aspect there is lots of good and relevant death penalty information.

https://deathpenaltyinfo.org/

10. Member
    The system I left cost approximately a little less than 27000.00 a year to house an inmate. A typical Death Penalty case will run north of 2 or 3 million dollars before it's all said and done. I been retired for a few years now so the numbers on both ends are likely higher.
    Still not following you? Court case should cost the same no matter the verdict correct? Actually killing them would cost a couple bucks depending on the system utilized correct?

Not sure if it was a drug kingpin or a south american dictator but I recall a TV story about how they killed people. Take them up in an airplane out to sea and have the remove all clothing then walk the plank. Only cost is a skydiving plane and gas.

12. Member
    Still not following you? Court case should cost the same no matter the verdict correct? Actually killing them would cost a couple bucks depending on the system utilized correct?

Usually but not always, the Court has to appoint attorney's and their investigators who specialize in Death Penalty cases and the fees are granted much higher by the Court than a normal offense with a Public Defender and minimal investigation at the local PLEO level. Then you have to add in the myriad of experts called to testify and they get paid also. There are lots of different monetary factors in a DP case that you won't find in a regular case. Then add in all the appeals process that are allowed by our Justice System and it doesn't take long to add up the bucks. The appeals process could be shortened but at what cost to innocence. It is in place to protect you.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gaston13 View Post
    Not sure if it was a drug kingpin or a south american dictator but I recall a TV story about how they killed people. Take them up in an airplane out to sea and have the remove all clothing then walk the plank. Only cost is a skydiving plane and gas.

Good luck getting a Constitutionalist to take that one off the Cruel and Unusual Punishment list even though it might make you and I feel better.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tfall View Post
    Bring back Public execution…would be a great deterrent.
    I’ve said that many times. Hang them in front of the county courthouse for all to see.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lowerider58 View Post
    I’ve said that many times. Hang them in front of the county courthouse for all to see.
    Hell, sell tickets on pay per view to have money go towards other public needed areas like roads and other infrastructure.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lowerider58 View Post

The only people who it would deter are the already law abiding citizens. It would not deter one single sociopathic murderer. Unfortunately it would also not pass Constitutional muster. What else would you like to give up in the Constitution because once you start giving up protections it will not end .

17. Member
    The only people who it would deter are the already law abiding citizens. It would not deter one single sociopathic murderer. Unfortunately it would also not pass Constitutional muster. What else would you like to give up in the Constitution because once you start giving up protections it will not end .
    What is unconstitutional about it?

Kill them on national tv in prime time once a month
    2005 champion 196 oh what a ride

19. Member
    What is unconstitutional about it?

My OPINION is it would not pass the Cruel and Unusual punishment clause. Your OPINION may vary and i'm good with that.

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by HASLAG View Post
    Kill them on national tv in prime time once a month

Derek Chauvin tried something like that. It wasn't accepted very well by the people.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast