Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SLYDoggie View Post
    Thanks. Water Column Sensitivity will make the biggest difference on fish returns but Dynamic Contrast can be a big help as well. The problem is that Water Column Sensitivity does screw with the bottom and structure returns. I did a test with Water Column Sensitivity at different settings. On the attached screen capture I set it at +3, then 0, and finally at -3 (appeoximately a third of the screen for each). At +3 you get a blow out of the bottom. At 0, it worked as it should. At -3 you get a very jagged bottom. It does seem to be worse when you are running parallel to a steep drop as the attached screen capture was... Bank was on left and 130' of water was on right.

Since I don't care about the bottom or structure returns, this doesn't bother me. I did report it to Hummonbird and was basically told it is what it is so they didn't treat it as a bug.
    Firstly that is an awesome pic to show exactly what WCS is for. The bottom of the shot at +3 I would describe as overdone(too much contrast) it is bleeding over to the bottom surface. However you can see the items in the water column light up nicely. 0 or off, is showing normal contrast. -3 is just too weak. The jagged bottom is probably only reflecting clean hard bottom and not the softer surface. Overall that is the range I like to have in all adjustments (from a little too strong to a little too weak) so varying conditions can still be made to look the way we like. JMO Bob
    Tell me where has a slow movin' once quick draw outlaw got to go

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SLYDoggie View Post
    Here are a few pics with DI below 2D, as I mentioned above, using Mega and in one of them you could clearly see the fish down to 60'. You just have to have Mega dialed in to do this. Also, I use Water Column Sensitivity set to +3 which helps the fish stand out.
    SlyDoggie, do you remember what your chart speed was? those are awesome returns for mega. hoping i can get some returns that are sized like that instead of the small strand returns i get on DI

3. Humminbird Moderator SLYDoggie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hokies View Post
    SlyDoggie, do you remember what your chart speed was? those are awesome returns for mega. hoping i can get some returns that are sized like that instead of the small strand returns i get on DI
    I typically run my chart speed at the max of 10 and run my Mega 360 at the max speed of 6. I'm interested in fish in the water column and not pretty images of the bottom and structure.
    ---> Regards, Steve Yarbrough (AKA: SLYDoggieTN on YouTube)
    • Apex 19/16/13, Mega 360, and Mega Live
    • Minn Kota Ulterra Quest Trolling Motor
    • (2) Cannon Optimum Bluetooth Downriggers
    • Impulse Lithium Batteries... 36V 60AH for Trolling Motor, (2) 12V 120AH for Cranking & Electronics, 12V 60AH for Downriggers

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12