Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

New Tatula 80 Tw

I've been waiting on this one !

2. Member
    I'm still trying to figure out of it has the double supported pinion like the alphas or if it's the tatula air rotation setup???

3. Member
    Any idea what it will retail for?

4. Member
    The 20th Tatula variant In the lineup I’m so excited !!!

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ss30378 View Post
    I'm still trying to figure out of it has the double supported pinion like the alphas or if it's the tatula air rotation setup???
    tatulas dont use free floating spools like the alphas, zillions, steez etc that have always used a dual supported pinion bearing. Tatulas have always used a solid spool shaft supported by a spool bearing under the CC knob and lower pinion bearing.

6. Member
    One second Seth is saying the spool is built more for heavy bait and the next the Japanese angler is saying it’s great for finesse? Which ones correct?

Quote Originally Posted by Real Pudd legend View Post
    The 20th Tatula variant In the lineup I’m so excited !!!
    Just like that 20th variation of the curado , they're running neck and neck...

8. Member
    I may purchase one of these when the SV version comes out, which is bound to happen lol

9. Member
    Doesn't mention super free so I doubt it has it. I'm thinking this is a dumbed down Alphas TW platform without super free.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnD. View Post
    Just like that 20th variation of the curado , they're running neck and neck...

hahahha

11. Member
    Daiwa for the win! Daiwa currently has 11 Tatula's (including the new 80) and Shimano currently has 6 Curado's.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Real Pudd legend View Post
    hahahha
    There is only 4 Tatulas
    14 Tatula 100/150 aka 19 Tatula 150/200
    Tatula CT
    Tatula 100
    Alphas TW derived Tatula 80

With the Curados you have, what?
    150GL
    70i
    200i
    G
    E
    50E
    D
    B

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LowRange View Post
    There is only 4 Tatulas
    Tatula CT
    Tatula 100

150GL
    70i
    200i
    G
    E
    50E
    D
    B
    I said current reels. I looked on the two company's web pages to get my count. Shimano lists 7 but the regular Corado 70/71 is not for sale anymore. Daiwa lists 10 so add the new 80 and that makes 11. I did not add all the reels in the two company's history because the Curado has existed for a lot longer than the Tatula.

14. Member
    There is only 4 Tatulas
    Tatula CT
    Tatula 100

150GL
    70i
    200i
    G
    E
    50E
    D
    B
    The Curado is older but what you are thinking are new platforms are really just the same Tatula. A Tatula SV is just a Tatula with an SV spool in a small spacer to adapt to the smaller spool. Shimano does something similar. The "70k MGL" is actually a 70i with micro mod gears and an MGL spool. Also I missed the Tatula 300 earlier.

We have:

Original Tatula/Tatula HD
    Tatula CT/17 Tatula SV
    Tatula 100/Tatula Elite/ 20 Tatula SV
    Tatula 300

These are the various Tatula platforms. Not sure about the Tatula 80. Looks like an Alphas TW platform. That makes it an Alphas in my book and Tatula in name only.

15. Member
    The Curado is older but what you are thinking are new platforms are really just the same Tatula. A Tatula SV is just a Tatula with an SV spool in a small spacer to adapt to the smaller spool. Shimano does something similar. The "70k MGL" is actually a 70i with micro mod gears and an MGL spool. Also I missed the Tatula 300 earlier.

We have:

Original Tatula/Tatula HD
    Tatula CT/17 Tatula SV
    Tatula 100/Tatula Elite/ 20 Tatula SV
    Tatula 300

These are the various Tatula platforms. Not sure about the Tatula 80. Looks like an Alphas TW platform. That makes it an Alphas in my book and Tatula in name only.
    Me and 2 other posters are talking about variants, not platforms. When Daiwa gave the Tatula CT a new color scheme and handle knobs, it is a variant and is listed as a new reel. This is why many people poke fun at Daiwa. Same thing with the Tatula 150 and Tatula 200. They are the same platform but have different spools, so they are listed as different models.
    Last edited by joekaz; 01-23-2022 at 06:07 PM.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by joekaz View Post
    Me and 2 other posters are talking about variants, not platforms. When Daiwa gave the Tatula CT a new color scheme and handle knobs, it is a variant and is listed as a new reel. This is why many people poke fun at Daiwa. Same thing with the Tatula 150 and Tatula 200. They have different spools, so they are listed as different models.
    But that's normal though. When you have a platform your make reels using that platform. Those variants are perfectly normal and Daiwa does this with almost all their reels. There are a bit too many Tatula platforms though. No idea why the Tatula CT continues to exist when it has been replaced by the 19 Tatula 100. The original Tatula still existing I get because it is sort of a bigger HD like reel compared to the 19 100 and as been marketed as the big Tatula. Why they are calling this new reel a Tatula I dont get either. Tatula must have the name recognition to make it work I guess.

17. Member
    But that's normal though. When you have a platform your make reels using that platform. Those variants are perfectly normal and Daiwa does this with almost all their reels. There are a bit too many Tatula platforms though. No idea why the Tatula CT continues to exist when it has been replaced by the 19 Tatula 100. The original Tatula still existing I get because it is sort of a bigger HD like reel compared to the 19 100 and as been marketed as the big Tatula. Why they are calling this new reel a Tatula I dont get either. Tatula must have the name recognition to make it work I guess.
    I agree.

So are we looking at essentially a rebranded Alphas SV without the SV spool and the brake dial on the side? If the price is right, I'm in.

ETA - Just saw where it is up on the Japan site. Japanese MSRP is below $200 with a stated debut of March. Really looks like the Alphas to me.
    https://www.daiwa.com/jp/fishing/ite..._80/index.html

Last edited by 481VSangler; 01-25-2022 at 08:53 AM.

Don't get it twisted. Daiwa is in business to be profitable and the sales numbers of tge Tatulas prove them right in continuing to add to the Tatula family.
    My own opinion the enthusiast market is not driving sales for larger companies. While those companies have enthusiast offerings their bread and butter is the non enthusiast customer. The guy wanting a reel made out of neutral carbon vanadium with a -.32oz weight, kryptonite spool with warp speed throwdown super secret boost to throw a 1/516 oz jighead with a 2mm super slow mo Ned pickle on 2 1/2 unicorn hair braid might not be as happy with mainstream US offerings...

In all seriousness I get some people want to see some features mainstream reels may not always have and its good to have choices. I respect and enjoy the fact that there are still JDM reels being produced to address the enthusiast itch.

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Perry View Post
    Don't get it twisted. Daiwa is in business to be profitable and the sales numbers of tge Tatulas prove them right in continuing to add to the Tatula family.
    My own opinion the enthusiast market is not driving sales for larger companies. While those companies have enthusiast offerings their bread and butter is the non enthusiast customer. The guy wanting a reel made out of neutral carbon vanadium with a -.32oz weight, kryptonite spool with warp speed throwdown super secret boost to throw a 1/516 oz jighead with a 2mm super slow mo Ned pickle on 2 1/2 unicorn hair braid might not be as happy with mainstream US offerings...

In all seriousness I get some people want to see some features mainstream reels may not always have and its good to have choices. I respect and enjoy the fact that there are still JDM reels being produced to address the enthusiast itch.
    Dang Mark where can I get the reel you described?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast