Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Member
    Mustang HIT. If I'm fishing by myself I wear it the entire time I'm in the boat. If I'm fishing with another person in the boat I'll use a conventional vest when running the outboard.
    2018 Tracker Pro Team 190 TX
    115 Mercury Pro XS 4S

2. New England Forum Moderator twitch's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Perry View Post
    The thing with an inflatable is they have to have a little bit of maintenance. You need to regularly check them out. If you have been out in the rain don't keep them stored in the boat. They should be tested yearly.
    They have their advantages and disadvantages.
    I have worn an inflatable for a long time ,I don't swim very well and like the thought that I have something that can help.I wear an SOSpenders ,I take care of mine and check them often to make sure the bobin is good and cannister is tight. I try to store in a dry area and try to keep them out of the rain if at all possible . I have gone over twice and both times they were a great aid in keeping me upright and getting back to the boat. I'm thinkung of upgrading to a Mustang HIT so no worry about bobbins and such...
    1990 374V Ranger Still kickin' bass after all these years

I have the Mustang HIT and a West Marine. Just got the Mustang this Christmas. But I always wear one. Saved my butt a couple years ago in low 40 degree water with a fast current.
    As the OP stated, my balance has gone to crap too.
    2019 RT 198P
    2018 Mercury Pro XS 150 HP 4 Stroke #2B610068
    Twin 12' BT Talons
    4" Atlas Jack Plate
    Riptide Instinct Quest

4. Member
    As in post 42, I have SOSpenders for something like 20 yrs +/-. Deployed once in the Ranger's locker. Have always kept them maintained and re-armed. I never take it off in cold weather, sometimes in summer I get a little relaxed with it. Too old now to have that much confidence, actually. I have thought of the waist band one, or also going to the Mustang HIIT. Even conventional pfd's need maintenance vs rot and proper fit. crotch straps are a thought. One may be surprised as to how deep you descend and how much pressure is on the vest to get you back to the surface.

5. Member
    Thanks for the tip fellers. I've been debating it for a long time and just ordered a Mustang HIT. Time to retire the Ranger Vest that I have used for 20+ years.

Be careful with the belt models. They're very hard to get over your head once they're inflated. Try it out on land.
    2020 Ranger VS1782 DC
    Mercury ProXS 150
    Garmin 106 Ultra/UHD 93sv
    Ulterra Quest, 115/90

7. Member
    Congratulations and I think you will like it!
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkVarble View Post
    Thanks for the tip fellers. I've been debating it for a long time and just ordered a Mustang HIT. Time to retire the Ranger Vest that I have used for 20+ years.

8. Member
    Mustang hit.
    Lightning 6
    2007 TR-196DC

9. Member
    I have one. Never wear it. Prefer traditional vest.

10. Member
    If they inflated in the locker that is not a failure. That is simply being over sensitive to moisture.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Arpy View Post
    As the years pass by I am becomeing increasingly aware of my loss of agility. The boss wants me to wear a pfd in the boat all the time. I do when the big motor is running. I take it off when I fish. I had 4 inflatables in the boat when I coached a local high school team. Two of them inflated in the rod locker. Thats a 50% fail rate inmy opinion. So, what is the best inflatable for the money, in your opinion?
    We had a member on here wearing one when he lost control in rough water, threw him out of the boat and was unconcise , it didn't deploy luckily for him two guys seen it happen and come pulled him out.

It was one of the Ranger Mustangs!!
    Last edited by CaymasRodney; 03-30-2022 at 06:26 AM.

One of the purchases I make every two years regardless. I normally go to the Mustang booth at the Classic they have some real good deals there. I get a new auto inflate and a new regular zipper one. I use the regular one anytime I go when the water is cold enough to cause hypothermia. I wear it while running, also helps to keep the wind off of you. If I'm by myself, then the auto inflate goes on while I fish. I keep the auto inflates on a hanger behind the back seat of the truck
    You can censor my speech but not my thoughts or will
    We are living in a time where intelligent people are being silenced so stupid people won't be offended

Traditional Vest while operating the boat. On the Front deck, Belt Inflatable PFD while fishing to both comply with N.Y.S. Law, Nov-May, and when water temps are 60 and below to comply with common sense.
    No one can be wrong that often so it has to be deliberate.

As I've posted before there's 3 types of inflatables
    Know and understand all 3 before you buy one. The Mustang HIT is the best out there

For me, It depends on the water i'm fishing

I've always worn and always will wear the Mustang 100MPH traditional style jacket. If I get thrown from the boat I want the extra cushion to protect me from whatever I hit. Plus I don't wanna have to rely on something that could fail.
    2022 Skeeter ZXR20
    Yamaha 250 SHO

Quote Originally Posted by Meadows View Post
    I've always worn and always will wear the Mustang 100MPH traditional style jacket. If I get thrown from the boat I want the extra cushion to protect me from whatever I hit. Plus I don't wanna have to rely on something that could fail.
    This is what I wear also. I have confidence in it and it's not at all uncomfortable. Peace of mind.

17. Member
    Too many folks in this thread clearly haven’t had the internal debate that I ended up having when I realized how terrible the logic is to wear the full vest while under power but then to take it off to fish.

if wearing an auto means that you will wear it 100% of the time, the odds of that failing and you dying are 1000000000000x less than you taking off your vest after you shut the main motor off to start fishing wearing nothing at all.

at this point it’s rare to see guys running bass boats with no vest while under power but way way too many folks fishing really cold big water don’t wear anything while up standing on the front of their boat

the majority of fishing fatalities are related to people falling in, not crashing while driving.
    06 Stratos 294 ProXL

18. Member
    I need to wear minds more often.
    I do wear minds full vest every time.
    It a good habit and the kill switch hooked to vest before the big motor starts. Been doing this for years like the rules in the old days in the Bass Master.
    Has a off brand inflatable in rod locker.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123