Dock skipping practice at home

Decided to attempt to learn how to skip baits with a bait caster after watching some videos . Bought a Daiwa Tatula SV and Lews Andy Montgomery skipping rod and hit the lake . No major backlashes thanks to the reel but not much in the way of skipping either . Decided I'd better start practicing a bunch on my driveway at home to shorten the learning curve some . I built a platform 16" off the ground and 4' X 4' wide to practice casting from to simulate standing on the front deck of my boat after measuring the distance from the actual lake surface . My Driveway is a rough broomed finish that was not very conducive to sliding a jig across . Put a piece of black visqueen down on the driveway I had left over from landscaping to smooth things out and it was just the ticket . Yesterday out on the lake again and at the end of the day I stopped at a vacant 10 slip dock close to the ramp and tried some more actual skip casts . Accuracy was hit and miss but I was actually getting the jig to skip maybe 6-8 feet pretty consistently . One cast I must have got right and the jig skipped way back under the dock covering maybe 15' after the first skip . I was practicing again today on the driveway and my good casts would go 30' sliding across the driveway from my platform and I hit the 40' mark a couple of times . I haven't been this excited about practice casting in the backyard since I was learning to Flip many moons ago .

2. Member
    Yes skipping takes a bit to get down at first but once you figure out the motions it comes pretty quick.

Wait till the water is choppy and the fish are located under docks.... that's when all the practice pays off

it is a hell of a technique to learn that's for sure.
    i used to be really good at it years ago but i found it is a perishable skill that if you don't do it often you loose the ability. i can skip for nothing now
    i always talk when i go to the lake that I'm going to just start practicing again but i never do...but i really need to.
    might have to try your trick and lay something on the ground.
    are you roll casting it? or more underhanded pitching it? I was a pitcher

5. Member
    Having that Tatula is a huge benefit...I combined with an ALX skipper and I was in heaven after struggling early on...best advice I was given was to not overpower the attempt...super helpfull

2012 Stratos 189 VLO/150 Mercury Pro XS/MinnKota Terrova

6. Member
    I have played around pitching the bait and it skips but not as far as when I get a proper 2 handed cast laid down. Still trying to be consistant with the roll cast mechanics and getting the rod loaded and send the jig towards the target with a low trajectory . I am getting better but it is not automatic at this point . Not getting any terminal blow ups of line on the reel so that's good .
    Last edited by kls2020; 01-21-2022 at 07:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kcg202champ View Post
    Wait till the water is choppy and the fish are located under docks.... that's when all the practice pays off
    G Man said in one of his videos that he didn't know anybody, even a pro who could skip in choppy water.