250 pro xs 4s serial #2b635184 clicking noise

motor started clicking when i came off pad,does it in gear or nuetral. Engine has the shift actuator recall available. Can the shift actuator cause it do make this noise? It ran fine back to the ramp. I've already had 1 lower unit to be replaced and when it made this noise it was louder and it would vibrate real bad and barely get on plane. I drained my lower unit oil on my current unit and it has some glitter in it nut the oil is still brown and smells normal.

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Your engine has only one active campaign, which is for the Upper Crankshaft seal. Shift actuator campaign did not apply to this serial number.

Need to determine where the "clicking noise" is coming from. Could be something on or inside the powerhead, could also be something in the gearcase.

Gear lube is usually NOT brown on this model, BTW. High-Performance lube is a dark blue color.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor