Thread: Cranking reels

Cranking reels

I'm a big fan of cranking with reels in the 5 something gear ratio. It seems the selection on these is getting mighty slim but i did manage to pick up 4 old stock Lews this week. Are any of the mfrs still offering these ratios? Just wondering if I'm overlooking something.
    "Luminous beings are we not this crude matter." Yoda

2. Member
    Shimano Curado 200 PGK is 5.0:1
    2006 Stratos 294 Pro XL.2005 Yamaha 200 VMAX 3.1L. 8" Hydro Dynamics Rapid Jack. Ultrex 112 I-Plot link. 2 Helix 10 Chirp Mega SI GPS G2N.

3. Member
    Daiwa Tatula 150's 5.5:1

No,
    I have stocked up on shimano chronarch d model's just for the same reason

Abu Garcia Winch.

6. Member
    I would go with the curados thinking about going back. Love the K series reels

7. Member
    I truly enjoy crankbait fishing and over the last two fishing seasons, I've standardized on Shimano Calcutta Conquests DC 100's (5.6:1) for cranks such as the Megabass Deep-X 200 LBO to Deep Six crankbaits. For the truly outrageous sized crankbaits like the Megabass Big M 7.5, I've standardized on the Conquest DC 200's which have a gear ratio of 4.8, it allows me to grind these huge crankbaits without undue fatigue in our MN and WIS lakes and rivers. They are pricey reels but combine them with great composite graphite/fiberglass rods like the Megabass Valkyrie 7'1" H and 7'6" XXH models and there's no finer way to present crankbaits that I've found in 30 years of trying different rods and reels.

8. Member
    I like throwing chatter baits at specific depth

I got the PQ 5.2, Daiwa Zillion 4.9 and the holy grail of Gen 2 Winch 5.4.

Quote Originally Posted by wareagle24 View Post
    Abu Garcia Winch.
    X2. Great low ratio reel. Smooth.
    BassCat Sabre FTD
    Mercury 150 Optimax
    "It's just fishing"

10. Member
    I am partial to Lews BB1 for cranking. I was a long time Shimano user but switched to Lews when they got hot. I am now switching back to Shimano. I just bought a Curado 150 mgl and it is sweet. However, I think I will keep using Lews for cranking.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by City17Banner View Post
    I truly enjoy crankbait fishing and over the last two fishing seasons, I've standardized on Shimano Calcutta Conquests DC 100's (5.6:1) for cranks such as the Megabass Deep-X 200 LBO to Deep Six crankbaits. For the truly outrageous sized crankbaits like the Megabass Big M 7.5, I've standardized on the Conquest DC 200's which have a gear ratio of 4.8, it allows me to grind these huge crankbaits without undue fatigue in our MN and WIS lakes and rivers. They are pricey reels but combine them with great composite graphite/fiberglass rods like the Megabass Valkyrie 7'1" H and 7'6" XXH models and there's no finer way to present crankbaits that I've found in 30 years of trying different rods and reels.
    The 76XXH is for the Big M, right? Do you use it for normal sized deep cranks? I have one and its going to be my punching and big bait stick. Never thought of it as a deep cranking stick.

Daiwa Zillion 5.5:1 Crazy Cranker
    Always Think Like A Fish.....No Matter How Weird it Is!!

13. Member
    What size and depth cranks?

For me for anything from wakes to 20'+ based upon what I have owned and currently still have.
    2014 Conquest 200 4.8:1
    TDZ US Trail 5.7:1 or TDZ 103P 5.1:1
    Millionaire CVZ 100/103 5.8:1 or 203 in 5.1:1
    Calcutta 200 TE GT in 5.0:1 or 100 TE GT 5.8:1
    Chronarch D5 or Antares AR 5.8:1

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RazorCat View Post
    X2. Great low ratio reel. Smooth.
    I know a guy who has a used one for sale at a reasonable price if interested. he has a tackle shop around where I live.

15. Member
    I'm still fishing my converted Scorpion 1000 reels for my treble hook stuff. I also fish some of the Lews MB series in a 5.6:1 gear ratio that I think would be a decent reel for crankbaits. I'm pretty sure you can still find the 5.1 BB's at a decent price also. I still don't understand the trend towards faster and faster reels. I can't believe there isn't a market for 5 speed reels. They would sell them if they made them. I would love to have a couple of 100 sized Tatula reels in a 5.1 or 5.5: 1 ratio.

16. Member
    Daiwa offers a 5:1 in the new JDM Zillion platform. I’ll certainly be picking one up when they get them in stock at the local shop.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LowRange View Post
    The 76XXH is for the Big M, right? Do you use it for normal sized deep cranks? I have one and its going to be my punching and big bait stick. Never thought of it as a deep cranking stick.
    Yes, this rod choice is a result of the Big M being far too much crankbait for my Dobyn's Champion XP 806 Crankbait rod, especially, when encountering the toothy critters that inhabit our MN and WIS bodies of water. Specifically, my cabin is located on one of the lakes of the Eau Claire Chain of Lakes and in the fall; big smallmouth bass (my preferred quarry), walleye, northern pike, and muskie, tend to stage on isolated deep rock piles in 19-25 feet of water adjacent to deep water basins. I found that the Dobyn's while being a great rod for MB Deep-X 300's and Deep Six crankbaits just wore me out when fishing the Big M 7.5 crankbait. For the normal sized MB crankbaits, such as the Deep-X 300 and Deep Six, I have found that the 7'1" Heavy is perfect for casting and retrieving these crankbaits. In addition, the 1.25 oz Jackhammer is a sleeper presentation with this specific rod as well for such deep water as the fish have rarely seen or felt this type of lure in those conditions as almost all the bass fisherman in these parts of world tend to fish chatterbaits in shallow waters. As for the 76XXH rods beyond using them for Big M's, they see a great deal of use for my collection of Gan Craft 178's and MB I-Slide 185's too so they are great for that purpose as well. Good luck with your new 76XXH Valkyrie rod! It's sad that they have been discontinued...

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kimbro1014 View Post
    Daiwa offers a 5:1 in the new JDM Zillion platform. I’ll certainly be picking one up when they get them in stock at the local shop.
    I will have to give one of those a try

19. Member
    Well after looking high and low across the net the last couple i was able to pick up 6 BB1 Lews in 5:1:1 to add to the ones I already had. Their might be a few more out there but not many.

20. Member
    I have a range of cranking reels and all of them perform well. For the longest time I only used the old Curado 200B38, I have three of them. I have a Revo winch that I like quite a bit. I also have a couple of Tatula CT Tackle Trap modded Custom Crankers with the 5.5:1 ratio. Last one is a Tatula 150P with the 5.4:1 ratio. I will occasionally throw squarebills on a 6.3 reel, and I will sometimes throw lipless cranks on a 6.3. For anything 6 foot and deeper I throw them on a 5.x or lower ratio reel, s-glass cranking rods, and 20 lb braid.