Question Transducer cable from transom to console RT188.

I need to run a new transducer cable from the transom to the cockpit console. Is it a straight shot if i take the throttle
    assembly off and come out under the dash?? I have a flex snake and a fiberglass snake to get there. I am not sure there is
    any thing blocking it tho as long as I can get past the fuse panel. What is the right way to do this?? ( BTW. I have a HOTFOOT )
    Any help would be appreciated.
    Tim Messer ~ Lake Ariel, Pa.
    US Army 1968 ~ 1971

2019 Ranger RT188 ~ Merc PRO XS ~ MK Ultrex

2. Member
    Shouldn't have to take anything off except the cup holder if it's like my triton 18tx. Remove cup holder and there should be 2 tubes with wires under it. I don't remember which one I used but with a snake it shouldn't be hard to have a straight shot. I think I did remove the little fuse panel so I could run it up into the bundle that comes out under the console. I'm sure someone will come along and verify. Good luck!
    Derek McCarty

3. Tin Boats Moderator Pokie Pa's Avatar
    Thanks Derek. I am thinking it is an easy straight shot but some guys have “HINTS” to make things easier.
    US Army 1968 ~ 1971

Smith Mountain Lake, VA and a cottage in Ontario
    My recollection is that it’s pretty easy and removing the cup holder should be sufficient.
    2018 Ranger RT188 SC Black/115 hp Yamaha SHO 4-stroke; Garmin LVS34 - north
    2018 Ranger RT188 DC Black/115 hp Merc Pro XS 4-stroke; Garmin LVS34 - south
    14' Mirrorcraft tin boat (ancient) with a 9.9 Mercury 4-stroke, no electronics; catches fish anyway

5. Member
    If it's like my 2015, there is a opening under the console on the right side where many other cables run. I ran mine from the transom up to and through that opening. My cup holder is almost even with the back of my seat so I don't see that removing it would do any good unless to help guide the cable little more. But I might be missing something. Good luck.

Have a good one and thank God for it!

6. Tin Boats Moderator Pokie Pa's Avatar
    Thanks Guys.... I believe I can get the cable thru without any problems or ripping anything up. With my flex snake, it should be a straight shot, AND yes. I have that opening under the console.
    Thanks...
    US Army 1968 ~ 1971

As stated, when you remove the cup holder you will see two wiring chases, one above the other. The top one goes to the clam shell at the splash well and the bottom one to the bilge.
    I find it easier to run the snake from the rear to the front and pull a cord back through. Attach the pull cord to the transducer cable and pull it back to the cup holder area. I find it easier to pull with a cord than the wire snake.
    my 2016 does not have an opening under the console so you have to fish the wire up through the wiring bundle, which is nearly impossible. I removed the cigarette lighter and brought the wires out through that hole.

I try to drive as if my 16 year old Grandson is following me
    Speak as if he is listening and act as if he is watching

8. Tin Boats Moderator Pokie Pa's Avatar
    Thanks, Bill. I thought you would have info
    US Army 1968 ~ 1971

9. Member
    do yourself a favor pull a line of paracord through just in case you want to pull something else later.

10. Member
    Just adding what others have said. Removing the cup holder helped me just see it was on it's way and kind of tug it along some more if it got stuck. I used fish tape to route my wires but I have heard the fiberglass rods that you screw together do a much better job. I will probably get some of those if I replace my electronics again. Also get you a transducer block if your boat doesn't have one already. Don't make more holes in your boat if you don't have to. Best of luck to you!

11. Tin Boats Moderator Pokie Pa's Avatar
    Thanks for all the good tips. Yes mine has a transducer block. I had my dealer put one onbefore delivery. And Yes positivity will leave a cord in there.
    THANKS GUYS....
    US Army 1968 ~ 1971

12. Member
    When I ran a new cable in my 2019 I removed the 6 or so screws for the side panel that holds the throttle and fuse block. I leaned it forward and you have access to the whole side. It allowed me to route the cable with all the others and follow all the other and get it up under the console. Hope this helps.
    Darrel Stephenson
    2022 Nitro Z19
    200 Mercury ProXS
    Minn Kota Ultrex

Hummingbird Helix 9 (Console)Mapping
    Garmin 102SV (Bow) Livescope
    Garmin Livescope LVS-32
    Hummingbird Helix 10 (Bow) w/Mega 360

"Once a Marine, Always a Marine.....just bigger"