Thread: Lews Reels

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Lews Reels

Hello everyone. Just wanted to get a general opinion on Lews reels. I've been using Curado K's for a few years now, and I've been satisfied with them. However I recently received a gift card to Lews and might need to add a few to my arsenal. Are there any specific models for around or under 200 that you guys would recommend? Potentially looking for one to crank with (DT10s, mid depth cranks) and one for frogging. Thanks in advance!

2. Member
    I work at BPS and we sell a bunch of Lew's reels. Personally, I think they offer too many different models, but the majority of our customers really like them. They are manufactured by the same factory that produces all the Abu-Garcia Revo's and some of the better BPS casting reels. Any of their reels in the $150 - $200 range will perform nicely for you, and they seem to be fairly responsive on warranty issues. The one advantage that Shimano offers is better long-term service and parts availability for those who keep their reels for 5+ years or longer.

3. Member
    Tournament Pro : great all around workhorse.
    BB1 Pro: wider spool for cranking distance.
    Super Duty: Frogging/ Heavy cover

4. Member
    Tournament pro lfs is a great reel for under 200. Along with the bb1 and bb1 pro. I also have a tournament mp I really like. I like them all more then my tatula sv’s.
    2023 Phoenix 819 pro
    2023 200 Pro XS 4s 3B373365

pond boat
    2020 pelican Bass raider 10E

I have 7 Tournament Pros from 2013 and they still work like they did when they were brand new. I'm not partial to any brand. I have several Daiwas and Shimanos as well that I like.

6. Member
    Own a few tournament pros and bb1 pros for the last handful of years. I absolutely love them. Great performance without any issues. They work as good as the day the came out of the box.

7. Member
    Lews reels are great. I used them for a long time and never really had an issue with them. Had several tournament pros and mbs and a few hypermags. I did switch to Daiwa a few years ago and i believe that bang for your buck on the Tatula series is the best out there.

8. Scraps
    BB1 does great with any moving baits and particularly cranking. Go with the BB1 Pro if you wanna spend a bit more. Tournament Pros for all-around work and for anything with braid the Super Duty is nice and sturdy. On the lower end, the new MPs are nice, small reels nice for things like jerkbaits or topwaters.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

9. Member
    In terms of the sub $200 Lew's reels my experience is as follows:

BB1 Pros - Workhorse reel best for 3/8+ baits and really excels at 1/2+ baits. I've used these for up to 1.5oz baits, not sure I would go much higher than that.
    Super Duty - Heavier baits 1/2+. I use for punching and A-rigging but have also used for Flipping and Frogging.

10. Member
    Amazon has the Hypermag for $246...do yourself a favor!

11. Member
    I picked up six Lew’s reels last year. Thus far, they are holding up well and have been happy with the performance.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ttranger View Post
    I work at BPS and we sell a bunch of Lew's reels. Personally, I think they offer too many different models, but the majority of our customers really like them. They are manufactured by the same factory that produces all the Abu-Garcia Revo's and some of the better BPS casting reels. Any of their reels in the $150 - $200 range will perform nicely for you, and they seem to be fairly responsive on warranty issues. The one advantage that Shimano offers is better long-term service and parts availability for those who keep their reels for 5+ years or longer.
    BINGO! Over the last few years, it has become really confusing to shop for a LEW's reel because of the number of models that often appear to have little difference. They just discontinued their wide-spool reel which I thought was one of the best they had.
    2017 Phoenix 618Pro

13. Member
    I don't like their baitcasters at all, their rods and spinning reels aren't too bad.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bgibson View Post
    Amazon has the Hypermag for $246...do yourself a favor!
    yeah, I tried. I bought it for myself for Xmas… and I received a brand new $46 kast king POS. Was not happy. Returned it back, got my money back and got a new custom pro lite.

Anyways, I own almost all the Lews reels ranging from $99 up to $300. The LFS, bb1, custom, tournament MG, tournament pro, custom lite, tournament lite, team lite, custom pro, tournament lite LFS, super duty, pro Z etc.

once you get to that $230+ range in the Lews models, they get very nice. My favorite reel is the custom pro and the pro Z. Although out of all the Lews reels I own, I don’t hate any of them… and that includes the $99 LFS. For $100, it’s hard to beat. People say the abu Garcia SX and such are the same thing as the Lews models, but I have owned the revo sx models while owning all the Lews and there is not a single thing similar. In fact, I hated the SX. The Lews being compared to that model were twice the reel imo.
    Last edited by 98 Elite203; 01-26-2022 at 07:37 PM.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 98 Elite203 View Post
    yeah, I tried. I bought it for myself for Xmas… and I received a brand new $46 kast king POS. Was not happy. Returned it back, got my money back and got a new custom pro lite.

Anyways, I own almost all the Lews reels ranging from $99 up to $300. The LFS, bb1, custom, tournament MG, tournament pro, custom lite, tournament lite, team lite, custom pro, tournament lite LFS, super duty, pro Z etc.

once you get to that $230+ range in the Lews models, they get very nice. My favorite reel is the custom pro and the pro Z. Although out of all the Lews reels I own, I don’t hate any of them… and that includes the $99 LFS. For $100, it’s hard to beat. People say the abu Garcia SX and such are the same thing as the Lews models, but I have owned the revo sx models while owning all the Lews and there is not a single thing similar. In fact, I hated the SX. The Lews being compared to that model were twice the reel imo.
    I think your confusing what I said? Hypermag is the top tier Lews model not a kast king or what ever you refer to...Also Custom Pro's are nice but the Hypermag is in a whole different level!

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bgibson View Post
    I think your confusing what I said? Hypermag is the top tier Lews model not a kast king or what ever you refer to...Also Custom Pro's are nice but the Hypermag is in a whole different level!

I am not confusing what you said. I purchased that hypermag that was on sale for $240 on Amazon, and received a $45 kast king. I think you confused what I said. Have you purchased that $240 hypermag on Amazon, and received the actual hypermag?

is the Hypermag still the top tier Lews tho? The new custom lite is also $300 and weighs 4.9ozs vs the hypermag’s 5.4ozs.

17. Member
    I am not confusing what you said. I purchased that hypermag that was on sale for $240 on Amazon, and received a $45 kast king. I think you confused what I said. Have you purchased that $240 hypermag on Amazon, and received the actual hypermag?

is the Hypermag still the top tier Lews tho? The new custom lite is also $300 and weighs 4.9ozs vs the hypermag’s 5.4ozs.
    The Custom Lite is made out of plastic with a $9 carbon handle on it to be as light as possible. The Hypermag is made from magnesium alloy. I'd take the one made from metal over the plastic one any day of the week. Still, I dont trust any Korean OEM magensium frame, aluminum gear reel to meet my expirations for smoothness so I wouldnt buy one myself. It would be too great a leap of faith for $300 for me. For my $300 I'm buying a used like new Steez TW SV and then doing a Zillion gear swap if and when I find the smoothness to have degraded. If you dont mind paying a smoothness penalty for a very light weight reel then either of these Lews like like excellent options.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TableRock55 View Post
    BINGO! Over the last few years, it has become really confusing to shop for a LEW's reel because of the number of models that often appear to have little difference. They just discontinued their wide-spool reel which I thought was one of the best they had.
    I like the widespool lews too! Bought a few up when I seen they were discontinued. The BB2 pro was an awesome wide spools lews also
    "Luminous beings are we not this crude matter." Yoda

19. Member

Yes, I did receive the Lew's Hypermag for $246 on Amazon. Guess you had some bad luck! Actually, the Hypermag MSRP went up to $319.99 from $299.99. I have 2 last year's custom lite and the MSRP was $279 last year now they are MSRP $299.99. So Lew's has raised the MSRP on those reels $20 from last year's prices. I guess the Hypermag is still king between them two reels. The Pro Ti is the top tier for Lew's MSRP $379.99 (up $20 from last year). I got 2 on sale this year and can't wait to give them a go this spring!

20. Member

You’re not the only one, I’ve received that thing twice now.
    I’m thinking someone pulled a fast one on Amazon and returned it as a hypermag but they don’t know any better.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast