2017 250 SHO fuel gremlin

This is driving me crazy - I hope someone can help!!! I've owned this engine since new and until now have had zero issues. It has 320 hours and has been religiously maintained by my dealer. Intermittently, the engine bogs down and dies. Doesn't matter if I'm idling or on plane. It appears to be fuel related because the primer bulb goes soft when this occurs. When the bulb is pumped, I can usually get it started again but I have to continually pump the bulb to keep it running. Here's the perplexing part - I can fish 5-6 more days and not have this problem. Then, on trip 7, it happens again! The fuel bulb has been replaced and there are no apparent leaks in the fuel line. My dealer is stumped and so am I! Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks!

2. Member
    I’d guess and say this is a very small leak allowing air into the system. It has to be really small if it only happens every 6 or 7 trips.

3. Member

Also check fuel lines, one of them could have the liner separating.

4. Member
    If the primer ball is getting softer than it once was that is indicative of a fuel restriction up ahead of the primer ball. Between the gasoline tank and the ball.

Could be deterioration within the fuel hose from the tank to the primer ball (I had that once and it drove me crazy). Problem would come and go.

Clogged fuel tank vent.

Failing anti-siphon valve if one is installed.

Clog fuel pick up screen if one is installed.

Kinked fuel hose.

Best way to trouble shoot is to get a vacuum gauge and plumb it in ahead of the primer ball. You can then see real time if it is a fuel restriction issue or not.

5. Member
    I didn't watch that whole youtube video but from what I recall on my fathers motor, the high pressure fuel pump brushes were wearing and the material would clog the small filter. I cleaned it, put it back together and it ran good. It would bog trying to get on plane and would alarm. If you set it down idled a bit and tried again it would get up and go. Then the issue came back before our yearly trip and I took it apart again. Found the same thing. I had to use brake cleaner to clear the filter of the fine worn brush material.

We replaced both fuel pump and all the filters and it's been great for 3 years now. Yours could be something else but if you have to skill to work on it like in the video, definitely check that filter for clogging by a dark graphite like substance and if it cleans out with brake cleaner, that is probably your issue. Just doesn't allow fuel to get into the hp pump, thus starving the engine for fuel.

6. Member
    I know the engine need a battery to run, so if the battery connection have been on a battery long time, you get that white buildup and that sometimes makes a bad connection, you will get a stutter or similar like problem, not saying its what you have, just saying that it takes 5 min to clean those and eliminate a possible culprit! Good luck bud!

Sometimes electrical issues mimic fuel issues. Start at your battery and go from there.