Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by digthemup View Post
    You are correct that Jesus did not look at women as property, which is why it is worded as directed to the individuals Jesus was speaking with.

Let me be very clear, I am NOT trying to sell the gospel of Thomas to anyone, and all I am suggestion is keeping an open mind when reading it.
    I am very good if you find it not acceptable since that is what they concluded over 400 yrs ago with many other text.
    I understand Digs….do you mean over 1600 years ago (when canonized)? I, personally, have complete faith that God provided us with His inspired Word for the past 1600+ years.

The Book of Thomas, the other Agnostic writings, and writings like Josephus’ are good for some that need outside information to show the existence of Christ and His teachings or for those scholars who are interested in recording history.

Ive always been a proponent that scripture is sufficient for all to receive salvation and that God gives me answers through scripture when I have questions. In any case, I have no issue with those that have an interest in reading and searching outside sources as long as God leads the way.
    Last edited by Chisco; 01-21-2022 at 06:06 PM.

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mram10us View Post
    Dozer, you keep editing my posts :) i was able to see your posted videos a week or so ago, but haven't been able to for a while. If it isn't you, great.

I saw that last night when it happened.

I took a photo with my cell phone after I saw it so I could speak with Al about it today.

He and I spoke, and I think it is because when I hit "reply with quote" and type, I do not go all the way to the end of your original quote before I start my reply. Thats my fault, and I apologize to you for it, I have no intention to ever alter someone else's post.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by godsdozer View Post
    I saw that last night when it happened.

I took a photo with my cell phone after I saw it so I could speak with Al about it today.

He and I spoke, and I think it is because when I hit "reply with quote" and type, I do not go all the way to the end of your original quote before I start my reply. Thats my fault, and I apologize to you for it, I have no intention to ever alter someone else's post.
    No worries. It's only the fourth or fifth time :) nothing nefarious done
    2012 Ranger Z521 2023 Mercury 250 Pro XS

4. Member
    You are correct that Jesus did not look at women as property, which is why it is worded as directed to the individuals Jesus was speaking with.

Let me be very clear, I am NOT trying to sell the gospel of Thomas to anyone, and all I am suggestion is keeping an open mind when reading it.
    I am very good if you find it not acceptable since that is what they concluded over 400 yrs ago with many other text.
    Regarding other antiquities, i am curious, like you and enjoy seeing what they say. Jasher has some great stuff for flood and sodom and gomorrah. Enoch I can't remember much of that one to be honest. Point being, interesting to check them out.

Chisco, Good explanation

5. Member
    Verse 22 Jesus saw some infants at the breast. He said to his disciples: These little ones at the breast are like those who enter into the kingdom. They said to him: If we then be children, shall we enter the kingdom? Jesus said to them: When you make the two one, and when you make the inside as the outside, and the outside as the inside, and the upper side as the lower; and when you make the male and the female into a single one, that the male be not male and the female female; when you make eyes in the place of an eye, and a hand in place of a hand, and a foot in place of a foot, an image in place of an image, then shall you enter [the kingdom]

maybe I'm missing it, but I'm not understanding this passage :)

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chisco View Post
    I understand Digs….do you mean over 1600 years ago (when canonized)? I, personally, have complete faith that God provided us with His inspired Word for the past 1600+ years.

The Book of Thomas, the other Agnostic writings, and writings like Josephus’ are good for some that need outside information to show the existence of Christ and His teachings or for those scholars who are interested in recording history.

Ive always been a proponent that scripture is sufficient for all to receive salvation and that God gives me answers through scripture when I have questions. In any case, I have no issue with those that have an interest in reading and searching outside sources as long as God leads the way.
    The very moment you accepted Christ and His Passion at the Cross, by His blood you have received salvation, and I do hope that you are not saying that salvation come through scripture. Though I am sure there are many writings and people that attempt to discredit Christ, Scripture and Christianity ( aka, the trolls allowed to post in this forum), the gospel (book) of Thomas has many correlations to OT and NT, especially all the yrs he walked with Christ even onto this very words by Christ in John 20: 24-29

The Unbelief of Thomas24 ¶ But Thomas, one of the twelve, called Did'ymus, was not with them when Jesus came.
    25 The other disciples therefore said unto him, We have seen the Lord. But he said unto them, Except I shall see in his hands the print of the nails, and put my finger into the print of the nails, and thrust my hand into his side, I will not believe.
    26 ¶ And after eight days again his disciples were within, and Thomas with them: then came Jesus, the doors being shut, and stood in the midst, and said, Peace be unto you.
    27 Then saith he to Thomas, Reach hither thy finger, and behold my hands; and reach hither thy hand, and thrust it into my side; and be not faithless, but believing.
    28 And Thomas answered and said unto him, My Lord and my God.
    29 Jesus saith unto him, Thomas, because thou hast seen me, thou hast believed: blessed are they that have not seen, and yet have believed.

BTW, these are interesting words written by the Beloved of the Lord, which perhaps may be the Lord's way in wishing for us to keep looking for more of Him.

John 20: 30-31

30 ¶ And many other signs truly did Jesus in the presence of his disciples, which are not written in this book:
    31 but these are written, that ye might believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God; and that believing ye might have life through his name.

7. Member
    The very moment you accepted Christ and His Passion at the Cross, by His blood you have received salvation, and I do hope that you are not saying that salvation come through scripture. Though I am sure there are many writings and people that attempt to discredit Christ, Scripture and Christianity ( aka, the trolls allowed to post in this forum), the gospel (book) of Thomas has many correlations to OT and NT, especially all the yrs he walked with Christ even onto this very words by Christ in John 20: 24-29

The Unbelief of Thomas24 ¶ But Thomas, one of the twelve, called Did'ymus, was not with them when Jesus came.
    25 The other disciples therefore said unto him, We have seen the Lord. But he said unto them, Except I shall see in his hands the print of the nails, and put my finger into the print of the nails, and thrust my hand into his side, I will not believe.
    26 ¶ And after eight days again his disciples were within, and Thomas with them: then came Jesus, the doors being shut, and stood in the midst, and said, Peace be unto you.
    27 Then saith he to Thomas, Reach hither thy finger, and behold my hands; and reach hither thy hand, and thrust it into my side; and be not faithless, but believing.
    29 Jesus saith unto him, Thomas, because thou hast seen me, thou hast believed: blessed are they that have not seen, and yet have believed.

BTW, these are interesting words written by the Beloved of the Lord, which perhaps may be the Lord's way in wishing for us to keep looking for more of Him.

30 ¶ And many other signs truly did Jesus in the presence of his disciples, which are not written in this book:
    31 but these are written, that ye might believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God; and that believing ye might have life through his name.
    Not answering for chisco, just want to clarify that the book of thomas was supposed to be written over 120 years after Jesus was crucified, at the earliest. Are you assuming the book was written by thomas?

8. Member

Digs…certainly not trying to argue with you brother and not saying you are wrong. I tend to be a little more skeptical regarding sources outside the Bible.

Just so everyone understands…..I am saved through Christ’s death, burial and resurrection. He died for my sins and the sins of the world. I fully accept Gods Grace (gift) although I certainly haven’t earned nor will I ever be able to earn His love and/or salvation. He gives His love freely to those who accept it.

Back to my prior post….I was essentially saying that the inspired Word of God (scripture) is all I needed to find out how to receive my salvation. Any writings/teachings that I use outside the Bible, are always Bible-based. Any other writings I highly scrutinize unless led by the Holy Spirit to consider.

I think Mram10us and I may agree….I am not convinced that the Book of Thomas was truly written by Jesus’ disciple. As Drifter said in an earlier post, there is a reason it wasn’t included in the canonization of the Bible 1600 years ago….a time much closer to the first century. Most importantly, I believe completely that God would have included the book in His Word if it was supposed to be there.

I believe the Word of God is fully God-breathed and that the canonization of His scripture was God-led.
    Last edited by Chisco; 01-22-2022 at 09:23 AM.

9. Member
    Not answering for chisco, just want to clarify that the book of thomas was supposed to be written over 120 years after Jesus was crucified, at the earliest. Are you assuming the book was written by thomas?
    Dating is questionable, but most all the books in the bible were not hand written by the narrator, but I am sure you already knew that some scribes did.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chisco View Post
    Digs…certainly not trying to argue with you brother and not saying you are wrong. I tend to be a little more skeptical regarding sources outside the Bible.

Just so everyone understands…..I am saved through Christ’s death, burial and resurrection. He died for my sins and the sins of the world. I fully accept Gods Grace (gift) although I certainly haven’t earned nor will I ever be able to earn His love and/or salvation. He gives His love freely to those who accept it.

Back to my prior post….I was essentially saying that the inspired Word of God (scripture) is all I needed to find out how to receive my salvation. Any writings/teachings that I use outside the Bible, are always Bible-based. Any other writings I highly scrutinize unless led by the Holy Spirit to consider.

I think Mram10us and I may agree….I am not convinced that the Book of Thomas was truly written by Jesus’ disciple. As Drifter said in an earlier post, there is a reason it wasn’t included in the canonization of the Bible 1600 years ago….a time much closer to the first century. Most importantly, I believe completely that God would have included the book in His Word if it was supposed to be there.

I believe the Word of God is fully God-breathed and that the canonization of His scripture was God-led.
    You are right, so no sense for useless discussion with arguing.

Do you ever wonder why religions are always splintered even within themselves?

11. Member
    Dating is questionable, but most all the books in the bible were not hand written by the narrator, but I am sure you already knew that some scribes did.
    Never assume I know anything :)

12. Member
    Never assume I know anything :)

13. Banned
    Don't forget the Gospels per Mary; per Judas...

14. Member
    Hey Dozer,

See what you started with this gospel of Thomas, we may end up getting stoned and you will need to change your last name to Smith or something.

It is wonderful that we can finally have a post that is stimulating the intelligence without useless conversations.

LOL dig, aint that the truth. They already want to stone me for preterism, now they are gonna pile on.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LewStulePH.D. View Post
    "Blessed are the solitary and the chosen, for You will find the Kingdom, for You are from it and to it You will return'... -Jesus (Thomas:49)

16. Member
    Are we going to bring up the "Infancy book of thomas" in this thread, too?

17. Member
    Are we going to bring up the "Infancy book of thomas" in this thread, too?
    Interesting, never heard of this one, but I have heard of the book of Mary Magdalene, who according to the kings of France their lineage come from a child conceived by Mary Magdalene and Jesus.

Now, I believe we can safely put this to the very questionable BS dept. without questions.

18. Member
    Interesting, never heard of this one, but I have heard of the book of Mary Magdalene, who according to the kings of France their lineage come from a child conceived by Mary Magdalene and Jesus.

Now, I believe we can safely put this to the very questionable BS dept. without questions.
    Agreed. The infancy book has a story of 5 year old Jesus killing a kid that bumped into him.

Not that anybody of authority can answer this but I have always wondered, when the writings of the Bible first originated, WHY were they omitted? In creating the Bible initially, one would think the Holy Spirit would be the guiding influence in such matters.

Somebody correct me if I am wrong, but the Protestant Bible, doesn't that Bible leave some of the OT out of the original writings when the first Bible was created? My understanding of it is that during the Reformation, they took out a few of the books. I am thinking Maccabee's 1 & 2 were left out with maybe 1 more book.

Thoughts?
    Sacred Heart of Mary, pray for us now, and at the hour of our death. AMEN
    O blood and water which gush forth from the heart of Jesus, have mercy on us
    For the sake of his sorrowful Passion, have mercy on us and the whole world

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by drifter106 View Post
    Not that anybody of authority can answer this but I have always wondered, when the writings of the Bible first originated, WHY were they omitted? In creating the Bible initially, one would think the Holy Spirit would be the guiding influence in such matters.

Somebody correct me if I am wrong, but the Protestant Bible, doesn't that Bible leave some of the OT out of the original writings when the first Bible was created? My understanding of it is that during the Reformation, they took out a few of the books. I am thinking Maccabee's 1 & 2 were left out with maybe 1 more book.

Thoughts?

I do not agree with everything you posted, especially regarding the highlighted portion ............................ but

The Catholic bible may have left out some more ancient Christian text, correct?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast