Oil line leak did I burn her up.

Oh man help please. 2013 150 HPDI. I noticed oil leaking down my foot when I picked my boat up yesterday. Looked like 2 stroke oil and so it was. Pulled the VST off today to find the oil line coming from the pump to the top of the power head had a hole in it. Guess it got hot and melted a hole. I have no idea if it were getting oil but from the amount of oil that was around the engine wasn’t getting much if any. Probably ran 8 gallons of fuel that day. I repaired the leak. I then did a compression test. 5 cylinders were 110/ 120 psi. The top right cylinder is 103. Did I get lucky or did I burn it up.
    Last edited by VIDRINE; 01-20-2022 at 07:19 AM.

2. Member
    What is a crow?

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by yam911 View Post
    What is a crow?
    One that flys I guess. Revised with glasses on this morning lol. Thanks for the help.

4. Member
    Where in this illustration is the oil line that got damaged?

5. Member
    Thanks for the reply. Oil line # 13.
    Attached Images Attached Images

6. Member
    Thanks for the reply. Oil line #13. ADDA7578-D71A-44E3-BD14-BCDE9C624A77.jpeg

7. Member
    Back in my aircraft days we would look at that hole and think that part chafed versus burned. Was it resting on a screw thread or any other object where it could vibrate unsupported? We used a lot of Adel or Mormon clamps to prevent such things. Reciprocating engines vibrate a lot. Turbines not so much.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by billnorman1 View Post
    Back in my aircraft days we would look at that hole and think that part chafed versus burned. Was it resting on a screw thread or any other object where it could vibrate unsupported? We used a lot of Adel or Mormon clamps to prevent such things. Reciprocating engines vibrate a lot. Turbines not so much.
    Yep. Gas turbines run a whole lot smoother. But even so, and despite much better security in the form of clamps and such, they get inspected periodically for chafing or other signs of distress.

I know folks that never take the engine cowling off. Until something goes awry.

9. Member
    To the OP, hard for me to hazard a guess as to the extent of any engine damage. If there is some.

You have acceptable compression in the number one hole. It is what it is.

I suspect that you got lucky.

10. Member
    Thanks for the reply’s all. She is still running well no noticeable knocks or power loss. I spoke with my mechanic down at the lake this morning. All I can do it this point is let her eat and see what happens.

I had an identical issue on my 2002 carb model. Only I didn’t catch it until after a few trips. I replaced the line and it has performed well for a couple of years now.
    Enjoying life in Southern Illinois

12. Member
    Thanks you sir for sharing your experience. Im hopefully it will hold up at least for this spring.

13. Member

14. Member
    I had a mid 80's mariner 75 horse that the oil line split on the nipple feeding the oil injection pump. Fished 4 straight days with a bit of oil slick behind the boat.
    Didn't cause any alarm because butter fingers dropped the oil jug while filling the under cowl oil tank before the first day out and had 2 stroke oil everywhere.
    Finally on the way to the ramp on the last day the motor shut off and wouldn't refire. Got it out of the water and oil was running down the midsection. The hose finally fell off the oil injection pump so it killed the motor. I put 2 and 3 together that it'd been spewing all week and assumed I burned it up.
    Replaced the hose, fired it up, and it kept right on going.

You were getting oil or you'd have had overheat alarms or locked it up. You just ran it skinny on oil mixture for a few hours. Time will tell if any real damage was done but I think you'll be alright

15. Member
    Thanks for sharing your experience. All I can do is let it eat. If she does go 200 Sho will be a nice upgrade!

16. Member
    Update I ran half a tank today 15gal. All is good. Thanks for all the replies.