Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Lithium batteries

Im about to change over to lithium but confused on what size cranking battery to get. This year i plan on running 2 carbon 9s, two carbon 12s, active target, two power poles, and livewells for tournaments. Is the 125ah overkill or is the 100ah good enough to get me through a day?

There is no such thing as overkill when it comes to supplying power.
    ‘22 Ranger Z520R - Mercury 250 Pro XS
    Humminbird/Minn Kota One Boat Network

3. Member
    go big then you won't have to worry. the ionic is on sale right now for $789 for the 125ah

4. BBC SPONSOR / PHOENIX MOD DREWTICK's Avatar
    with what you are running I would not go any less than the 125ah

give me a shout or text 910-722-0001
    Drewcraft Specializes in Lithium Batteries and Chargers, We carry all Brands of Trolling Motors and Graphs, Minnkota, Lowrance, Garmin, Motorguide
    910-722-0001 call or text
    info@drewcraft.com

I agree 125ah

2023 Ford F150 XLT Super Crew 2.7L Ecoboost FX4
    2021 Phoenix 721/ Mercury 250 ProXS 4s
    HDS16 Pro- Solix15 : Console
    HDS16 Pro W/AT - Garmin 126 W/ lvs34 - Solix12/ 360 : Bow
    Dual 10' Blades/ Lowrance Ghost/ Bobs Hydraulic Plate
    225ah cranking / 100ah trolling. Ionic/Relion lithium

MLF Invitationals Angler
    Instagram @brettcarnright

6. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Danbaerwald View Post
    go big then you won't have to worry. the ionic is on sale right now for $789 for the 125ah
    That's a pretty dam good price..........that's cheaper than what i paid for my Ionic 100ah battery, of course it wasnt on sale at the time...
    YOU are not entitled to what I have earned!!!!!

2014 Phoenix 619 Pro / 2014 Mercury 200 Pro XS

7. Banned
    Considering changing over to lithium batteries too. Thoroughly confused with all the mixed information that is it out there including a thread on this forum. Specifically, using a lithium battery to crank motor. Is it safe? I have used three (3) Optima Blue Tops Group 31M's exclusively in my Triton. Heck, they are $374.99 a piece. According to my research I have determined the following Ionic Lithium batteries would work for me. Please, correct me if I'm wrong and your opinion(s) are not only welcomed, but valued. Two (2) 12 volt 50 ah batteries for 24 volt MK Ultrex 80lb thrust TM. (I have seen/read that others recommend 100ah). One (1) 12 volt 125ah battery for Merc 225 Opti Max; two (2) Helix 10's; Power Poles and other accessories. The single largest problem I have experienced in the past with the Opti's is leaving both Birds (networked) powered on to view/fish shared waypoints between units.

8. BBC SPONSOR / PHOENIX MOD DREWTICK's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Arley View Post
    Considering changing over to lithium batteries too. Thoroughly confused with all the mixed information that is it out there including a thread on this forum. Specifically, using a lithium battery to crank motor. Is it safe? I have used three (3) Optima Blue Tops Group 31M's exclusively in my Triton. Heck, they are $374.99 a piece. According to my research I have determined the following Ionic Lithium batteries would work for me. Please, correct me if I'm wrong and your opinion(s) are not only welcomed, but valued. Two (2) 12 volt 50 ah batteries for 24 volt MK Ultrex 80lb thrust TM. (I have seen/read that others recommend 100ah). One (1) 12 volt 125ah battery for Merc 225 Opti Max; two (2) Helix 10's; Power Poles and other accessories. The single largest problem I have experienced in the past with the Opti's is leaving both Birds (networked) powered on to view/fish shared waypoints between units.
    the 125ah will take care of the cranking and the electronics with no problem but on the trolling batteries the 50ah are not going to be a replacement for everyone running a 24v system, you use more amps per lb of thrust with 24v vs 36v
    just depends on your fishing style, about 50% of bass fisherman are good with the 50ah on the ultrex and others they dont come close but they should hold they own against a bluetop with 75ah
    Drewcraft Specializes in Lithium Batteries and Chargers, We carry all Brands of Trolling Motors and Graphs, Minnkota, Lowrance, Garmin, Motorguide
    910-722-0001 call or text
    info@drewcraft.com

9. Member
    Those Blue Tops have a much lower RC compared to other group 31's. I think their RC is only around 155 minutes, where other 31 AGM's have RC's up around 200-225. So if you have done fine with them for your 24 volt troller, I would think that the 50 ah lithiums would be ok for you , unless you decide to change your fishing style to be more aggressive on the troller (more current, wind, etc). For me one certainty would be that I would never be spending 375 dollars for an Optima.
    2019 BCB Classic
    Merc V8 200 4S

10. Banned
    thanks for the replies. just not completely sold on the safety of using lithiums for big motor. I will buy an X2 Power Premium before I buy another Opti. thanks again.

11. Member
    I will buy an X2 Power Premium before I buy another Opti. thanks again.
    Wise decision. The X2/Northstar is a much better battery than the Optima
    2019 BCB Classic
    Merc V8 200 4S

12. Banned
    I sent Mercury an email today, and here is the response I received: "Lithium batteries contain a Battery Management System (BMS) that protects the battery against thermal and over/under charging events. This could cause the BMS to remove battery voltage to the engine while underway, posing a safety hazard while causing possible damage to the engine's electrical system. We do NOT recommend using lithium batteries with ANY Mercury Outboard due to these circumstances".

13. Member
    I sent Mercury an email today, and here is the response I received: "Lithium batteries contain a Battery Management System (BMS) that protects the battery against thermal and over/under charging events. This could cause the BMS to remove battery voltage to the engine while underway, posing a safety hazard while causing possible damage to the engine's electrical system. We do NOT recommend using lithium batteries with ANY Mercury Outboard due to these circumstances".
    Did you ask them about the type of Lithium battery BMS that does NOT remove battery voltage to the engine while underway?

14. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by yam911 View Post
    Did you ask them about the type of Lithium battery BMS that does NOT remove battery voltage to the engine while underway?
    I only asked about the use of lithium batteries (no specific brand) starting my 225 Opti Max. I was watching a Youtube video wherein a guy stated this was a myth and the "BMS" actually protected the big motor. So, who do you believe? I do find it odd, that site sponsors that sell these batteries have not disputed Mercury's position. At least I have not read any.

I only asked about the use of lithium batteries (no specific brand) starting my 225 Opti Max. I was watching a Youtube video wherein a guy stated this was a myth and the "BMS" actually protected the big motor. So, who do you believe? I do find it odd, that site sponsors that sell these batteries have not disputed Mercury's position. At least I have not read any.
    There is nothing to dispute. Mercury can not say its OK because the battery BMS varies by brand and they are not going to test them to find out. They can only say if something happens and its caused by an unauthorized battery, they will not cover it. Make a choice based on knowledge, research, experience and the testimony of others. Its still on you though.

16. BBC SPONSOR
    We offer all types of Lithium solutions from our 12v-120ah starting battery, 12v, 24v and 36v options. All In Lithium Packages and more

If anyone needs some help with a system please give me a call

Items in stock with BBC discounts available

Bill

205-965-8436

17. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodman View Post
    There is nothing to dispute. Mercury can not say its OK because the battery BMS varies by brand and they are not going to test them to find out. They can only say if something happens and its caused by an unauthorized battery, they will not cover it. Make a choice based on knowledge, research, experience and the testimony of others. Its still on you though.
    If I manufacture and sell lithium batteries, specifically a cranking battery, I must be able to tell you unequivocally, that it will not cause harm to your motor. If that is the case, these manufacturers most certainly have an argument and must dispute. Again, I have not heard this. Someone please tell me the cranking batteries are safe and I'm all in.

18. Member
    If I manufacture and sell lithium batteries, specifically a cranking battery, I must be able to tell you unequivocally, that it will not cause harm to your motor. If that is the case, these manufacturers most certainly have an argument and must dispute. Again, I have not heard this. Someone please tell me the cranking batteries are safe and I'm all in.
    I believe ionics proprietary bms is unequivocally safe. They worked on the updated bms to make it compatible and safe for outboards. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong. I can't speak for other brands.

19. Member

This is what I’d like to understand. If lithiums are low resistance and can take more current than a standard battery, is this ok for an alternator designed for lead acid? If I fish all day and drain my lithium starter, then start my outboard, I’d think that alternator is going to dump the sauce it can to that lithium. Will the bms on the lithium starter battery do anything to prevent taxing the alternator? What works short term may not long term. What does a pro xs alternator cost and is their a debit to longevity of it? Just stuff rolling through my head. I’d like to go lithium starter. Can’t get there yet.

Quote Originally Posted by tm7554 View Post

This is what I’d like to understand. If lithiums are low resistance and can take more current than a standard battery, is this ok for an alternator designed for lead acid? If I fish all day and drain my lithium starter, then start my outboard, I’d think that alternator is going to dump the sauce it can to that lithium. Will the bms on the lithium starter battery do anything to prevent taxing the alternator? What works short term may not long term. What does a pro xs alternator cost and is their a debit to longevity of it? Just stuff rolling through my head. I’d like to go lithium starter. Can’t get there yet.
    Thats alot to be asking and there are multiple concerns. Sooooo....from what I understand is that the alternator can put out alot of amps that are sufficient to charge the lithium but the issue is it could overheat. This has occurred in the RV industry when the alternator is not spinning fast enough on the engine to cool itself. Boat engines differ from vehicles because the alternators are likely to be spinning very fast for longer periods of time which allows the alternator fan to cool it adequately. Probably wouldnt be good to idle around for any length of time on a low battery.
    The BMS does nothing to adjust the alternator charging levels. If your low on juice roll on the coals I say.
    Last edited by bloodman; 01-26-2022 at 07:15 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast