Power pole charge and starting batteries

Power pole CS told me I would have to have my starting battery and house battery in parallel for their charger to work on a 5 battery system. Would two quality 100ah lithiums that are used for trolling motors batteries work when hooked up in parallel doubling the cranking power? Are the components of a ionic or impulse 100ah battery when hooked up parallel for cranking strong enough to crank over a big outboard safely?

2. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Trolling batteries may not have the cranking current you need, even doubled up. You’ll need to do some research regarding how much current your outboard actually draws when cranking.

If your outboard can keep a cranking battery and three trolling batteries charged, why would you need the house battery?
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

Ok Here’s what I would do instead of going with 5 Batteries (here’s my setup( I run Two 12 Volt 100 Amp ionic Lithium Batteries In parallel to Crank my engine, run my Lowrance lives, Active Target, Accesories etc, and then a Single 36V 50 amp ionic lithium battery to run my Lowrance ghost trolling motor. This means that I have 3 batteries that are amazingly efficient, less weight in the boat with the 3 instead of the 5, and Lithium lasts so long, you don’t have to worry about power With one 36v 50 amp, especially with the PowerPole Charge (I run one in my Boat) and if you run the Engine it really charges that Trolling motor battery quickly, I can really charge all the batteries up quickly. Now this setup all depends on your situation... so here are my questions for you: What Outboard Are you going to be Using the Lithium’s with, If you can tell me that I can find out if you’ll need Two 125 AMP Ionics in parallel or If you’ll be ok with Two 100 amps in parallel. I myself have a 200 HP Evinrude E-Tec HO (high output) and the alternator puts out about 50 amps. The reason for going parallel with high output engines with high output alternators, for example: Mercury Verados, the Newer Four strokes, E-Tec HO’s etc... is that when you parallel the two to crank the engine, the engines alternator has to put some amps into BOTH of the batteries connected to it, instead of so many amps being dumped into A single battery, and causing more strain on the BMS of the battery, you now have it being shared to two batteries, what’s also amazing about the power pole charge is that it takes the amps being put into the Cranking batteries, and puts some into your Trolling battery, the Power Pole Charge CMonster app has a setting that allows you to change where the amps are distributed... I leave mine set to “Shared” and if I were you I would as well, it just makes the most sense to me and most of the other power pole charge Users. So yes IONICS 100 amp and 125 amp are safe cranking batteries as thousands of People have used them for cranking with no issues for about 2-3 years now, the only Two Ionic batteries designed for Cranking are the 12 Volt 100 amp Deep Cycle ionic, and the 12 Volt 125 amp deep cycle ionic. The smaller amps can NOT be used for cranking as they will shut down the engine because of overvoltage (there BMS is not designed to be Used as a cranking battery, but the 100 amp And 125 amp are completely Safe. It all just depends on what outboard your using. Get back to me with that info and I’ll let you know what would be the most optimal set up. If you already have the trolling motor batteries then it’s no biggy about getting the 36v 50 amp for the trolling motor. but please get back to me as I would love to help you out with this and answer any questions you have about the Ionics.
    2012 Ranger Z520 Comanche
    Evinrude E-Tec 200HP

Quote Originally Posted by ilostmypistons View Post
    Power pole CS told me I would have to have my starting battery and house battery in parallel for their charger to work on a 5 battery system. Would two quality 100ah lithiums that are used for trolling motors batteries work when hooked up in parallel doubling the cranking power? Are the components of a ionic or impulse 100ah battery when hooked up parallel for cranking strong enough to crank over a big outboard safely?
    A single 100 amp Ionic has the BMS and cranking power to start an outboard, if thats what your asking. The problem with power pole is they are dumbfounded as to what lithiums work with their stuff. I think they were telling you their system works with 4 batteries and if you want a 5th in the mix it would have to be in parallel with the 4th to act as one battery.

5. BBC SPONSOR / PHOENIX MOD DREWTICK's Avatar
    you can run 2 IONIC 100s, 2 IONIC 125ah, a 100ah and a 125ah, I even have many customers running a 125ah and a 50ah in parallel
    Drewcraft Specializes in Lithium Batteries and Chargers, We carry all Brands of Trolling Motors and Graphs, Minnkota, Lowrance, Garmin, Motorguide
    910-722-0001 call or text
    info@drewcraft.com

I run a 125 ionic and a 100 relion hp in parallel for my cranking setup with a power pole charge. So far it’s worked great. I also run 3 100ah lithium trolling batteries. 2 are relion and 1 is ionic.

2023 Ford F150 XLT Super Crew 2.7L Ecoboost FX4
    2021 Phoenix 721/ Mercury 250 ProXS 4s
    HDS16 Pro- Solix15 : Console
    HDS16 Pro W/AT - Garmin 126 W/ lvs34 - Solix12/ 360 : Bow
    Dual 10' Blades/ Lowrance Ghost/ Bobs Hydraulic Plate
    225ah cranking / 100ah trolling. Ionic/Relion lithium

MLF Invitationals Angler
    Instagram @brettcarnright

7. Member
    This is great info sounds like I can just pull my group 31 X2 and put in a 125 or 100ah lithium in my 5 battery system. Probably just keep my Dual pro ps4 now that I know mixing lithiums is okay
    Thanks guys

8. BBC SPONSOR / PHOENIX MOD DREWTICK's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ilostmypistons View Post
    This is great info sounds like I can just pull my group 31 X2 and put in a 125 or 100ah lithium in my 5 battery system. Probably just keep my Dual pro ps4 now that I know mixing lithiums is okay
    Thanks guys
    That PS4 has to be programed for lithium
    Drewcraft Specializes in Lithium Batteries and Chargers, We carry all Brands of Trolling Motors and Graphs, Minnkota, Lowrance, Garmin, Motorguide
    910-722-0001 call or text
    info@drewcraft.com

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DREWTICK View Post
    That PS4 has to be programed for lithium
    It has been programed the tag by the plug says lithium on it
    Thanks

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DREWTICK View Post
    you can run 2 IONIC 100s, 2 IONIC 125ah, a 100ah and a 125ah, I even have many customers running a 125ah and a 50ah in parallel
    you can safely run 125 ah ionic and 50ah in parallel as a STARTING and house battery?
    Last edited by Lund_Adventurer; 05-24-2022 at 10:46 AM.