Mega 360 and spider rigging

Not sure this is the right place for posting this question so please point me in the right direction if that's the case. I'm planning on adding a Helix12 and Mega 360 (if they're ever back in stock!!) and had a question for any crappie fishermen out there. How well does it work with spider rigging? I'm somewhat new to all this new technology so I was just wondering if the Mega 360 was an effective tool to use with spider rigging or if there was going to be interference with the lines/etc.

Appreciate any feedback you can provide..

Rebelkris76

2. Member
    Works great for spider rigging. Lets you see crappie ahead of you allowing you to steer your boat to them.

3. Humminbird Moderator SLYDoggie's Avatar
    I use it very effectively trolling at 2.5 MPH for Stripers with Downriggers and Planer Boards. Not exactly the same as spider rigging, because you would be going much slower, but that will just make the returns even better for you. I always have my Mega 360 sweep speed at 6 and use 455Khz frequency because that gives better range and better fish returns in the water column. I don't care about a "pretty" image. I only care about finding the schools of fish... That part is similar to Crappie fishing.

Since SI, DI, and 2D are all historical and only show you what you have passed over, Mega 360 is great in that you can see what is ahead and adjust course. The attached picture is a school of Stripers I was over but then saw the edge of another school coming up between 60' and 80' ahead at 11:00. That ended up being an even larger school which I would have missed if I were just relying on SI/DI/2D.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    ---> Regards, Steve Yarbrough (AKA: SLYDoggieTN on YouTube)
    • Apex 19/16/13, Mega 360, and Mega Live
    • Minn Kota Ulterra Quest Trolling Motor
    • (2) Cannon Optimum Bluetooth Downriggers
    • Impulse Lithium Batteries... 36V 60AH for Trolling Motor, (2) 12V 120AH for Cranking & Electronics, 12V 60AH for Downriggers

4. Member
    Great question Rebelkris76 . I to crappie fish but i do not spider rig. I mainly vertical fish and also fish stumps and old fence rows and at the lake i fish everyone in using livescope which i fished with once. Hia was mounted on trolling motor and i found myself just wanting to see the brush instead of the fish. As far as wanting to see the fish i am more in wanting to see whats around my boat.
    I have yet to find anyone with mega 360 but want to and fish with one in the future. For me in flooded stumps 5ft and deeper i feel i would not miss fishing a stump around me if that makes since.
    i hope more comment on this topic.

5. Member
    Great info, thanks so much for the input!

Quote Originally Posted by ilhunter65 View Post
    Great question Rebelkris76 . I to crappie fish but i do not spider rig. I mainly vertical fish and also fish stumps and old fence rows and at the lake i fish everyone in using livescope which i fished with once. Hia was mounted on trolling motor and i found myself just wanting to see the brush instead of the fish. As far as wanting to see the fish i am more in wanting to see whats around my boat.
    I have yet to find anyone with mega 360 but want to and fish with one in the future. For me in flooded stumps 5ft and deeper i feel i would not miss fishing a stump around me if that makes since.
    i hope more comment on this topic.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

7. Member
    I troll jigs and crankbaits as well as push both off the front using the Mega 360 quite effectively. You just need to learn to adjust the mega 360 as you cover water and different depths of water and cover. Can’t wait for spring to use Mega Live with the mega 360.

8. Member
    Thanks Wayne
    That's what i want to see.
    And i like the 40ft range

9. Member
    MEGA 360 is invaluable in spider riggin for crappie ... it’s the perfect tool (with no physical manipulation from the user - just glance at the screen) for lining up the long rods to ease into the structure ...

Zoom in and you can see the concrete blocks holding this stakebed down ...

Rickie
    Last edited by rnvinc; 01-19-2022 at 06:24 PM.

10. Member

Rickie

11. Member

Rickie

12. Humminbird Moderator SLYDoggie's Avatar
    Here are a couple of Bluegill Beds in shallow water... one in flat open water and one along a sunken cypress log.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    ---> Regards, Steve Yarbrough (AKA: SLYDoggieTN on YouTube)
    • Apex 19/16/13, Mega 360, and Mega Live
    • Minn Kota Ulterra Quest Trolling Motor
    • (2) Cannon Optimum Bluetooth Downriggers
    • Impulse Lithium Batteries... 36V 60AH for Trolling Motor, (2) 12V 120AH for Cranking & Electronics, 12V 60AH for Downriggers

13. Member
    Crappie is all I do! 360 must have for spider rigging especially in stumps and lay downs.

thumbnail (3).jpegS00050.PNG

14. Member
    Thanks again for all the responses. Now I just have to wait until they're back in stock

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rebelkris76 View Post
    Thanks again for all the responses. Now I just have to wait until they're back in stock
    Check Bass Pro every morning. They often (like right now) have the universal mount option, and sometimes have an Ultrex mount. I got one a week or two ago.