Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Would you buy an Optimax?

After 13 years in my Sabre with an XR6, I’ve decided to upgrade to a Puma, Eyra, or Cougar. I’m looking at boats 7 years old or less. Except for the rare boat with a SHO, just about everything 18 or older has an Optimax. Am I better off buying a 19 or newer with a 4S? I hate the idea of making payments on something that has a higher chance of failure. From the research I’ve done and people I’ve talked to, the Merc 4S powerhead has been flawless. I can afford a 4S, but you know how it goes, the less money I spend to get what I want, the better.
    2019 Bass Cat Puma
    250 ProXS 4 Stroke

2. Member
    If I were in your shoes I’d go with a boat that has a 4 stroke Mercury. Maybe if you can wait another year to get a few more used 4 strokes on the market

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by basscat tyler View Post
    If I were in your shoes I’d go with a boat that has a 4 stroke Mercury. Maybe if you can wait another year to get a few more used 4 strokes on the market
    This. Opti’s are great motors until they blow.

4. Member
    I wouldn't buy an early 2000s model, the later model ones are very good engines if you maintain them properly. My 2010 Opti still cranks up and runs like brand new. I would take an Optimax over a new 4 stroke any day.

5. Member
    4s...2s are dinosaurs.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by WjColdWater View Post
    This. Opti’s are great motors until they blow.
    They can all blow. I wouldn't hesitate to buy a 7 year old Opti as long as everything checked out. The 200 that I had was probably the best motor I've run.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sabre1 View Post
    After 13 years in my Sabre with an XR6, I’ve decided to upgrade to a Puma, Eyra, or Cougar. I’m looking at boats 7 years old or less. Except for the rare boat with a SHO, just about everything 18 or older has an Optimax. Am I better off buying a 19 or newer with a 4S? I hate the idea of making payments on something that has a higher chance of failure. From the research I’ve done and people I’ve talked to, the Merc 4S powerhead has been flawless. I can afford a 4S, but you know how it goes, the less money I spend to get what I want, the better.
    How fast does that Sabre run with the XR6? I looked at one not to long ago.

8. Member
    My last rig had a 2016 Optimax 250HP ProXS. It was a fine motor. My current rig has a Yamaha SHO.

Given my experience with both I would purchase a 4S. Primarily for quiet operation but mainly for savings in oil.

9. Member
    I would go for a 19 with the 4s. These motors have been excellent. Seems like Merc did their homework before releasing them to market and not rushing. Besides which, you should be able to get a 19 with lots of engine warranty left.
    2019 BCB Classic
    Merc V8 200 4S

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bassfisher444 View Post
    62 or so. It gets squirrley after that. I carry too much gear, so that slows me down. A good driver could probably get more.
    2019 Bass Cat Puma
    250 ProXS 4 Stroke

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bassfisher444 View Post
    I’ve got an ‘02. Ultrex, single Power Pole, 3-31 series batteries, full fuel and two guys I can hit 63 pretty easily. Never had it past 65 solo

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by basscat tyler View Post
    I’ve got an ‘02. Ultrex, single Power Pole, 3-31 series batteries, full fuel and two guys I can hit 63 pretty easily. Never had it past 65 solo
    I used to have a 23 Tempest that had blades thinned and pitch added that made it fly like a rocket ship. Unfortunately I threw a blade and am back to running a stock 23. It goes fast enough for me now. It’s a fun boat to drive. I did have it up to 67 one time going down river.
    2019 Bass Cat Puma
    250 ProXS 4 Stroke

The 07 150 Opti on my Sabre FTD has been flawless. The early OptiMax OBs (prior to 06-07) were the ones I thought had problems. I know quite a few guys who still run OptiMax OBs and don't have major issues. Sure, 4 strokes have advantages, but they're certainly not immune to problems. The new Pro XS 4 strokes haven't been out long enough for anyone to draw the conclusion they're more reliable in the long run than a 2 stroke Pro XS or OptiMax.
    BassCat Sabre FTD
    Mercury 150 Optimax
    "It's just fishing"

14. Moderator
    Mine has been great. It's 10 years old. Has only 215 hours but It gets used several times a month from March-November. We have small lakes so it doesn't rack up the hours. It's been the best boat/engine I've ever had.

I've had a caracal and Puma with a opti (2016/2017) Only issues I had on either motor was clogged thermostats, I would not own any of the mentioned motors, nor a new 4s with out some type of digital read out gauges. I didn't see much if any fuel savings on my 21 eyra with a 4s. I did save a good bit of $ not buying dfi oil however. I do believe the new 4s would probably be the better choice as well. And may find a 19, that could have the warranty bumped out. Some of the prices on the two stroke rigs have come up alot due to demand, I couldn't imagine paying 55k for any of the said models with a two stroke. I've seen a few sell quick 2019/2020s in the low 60s so seems like it would be worth the jump for the 4s and potentially probably more updated rigging. Only 4s issue I have seen, and continue to see is trim ram bolts walking out, and lower unit shift actuators failing. Which from what I hear both parts are hard to get.

On a personal note after owning 3 premium boats, I would gravitate back to a cougar hull/ and hope to find a revised top cap one. I believe the rework would be worth the extra $. I loved the sporty eyra and the layout but I think the narrow nosed boats are out the window for me.
    "the head, the tail, the whole damn thing"

While this is a good inquiry, you’re comparing apples and oranges in the responses. Of course the post is rather open in the question.

In the 150-175 category the Optimax engines are nice motors and most run a very long time. We definitely would consider this, though the engines that are EFI and Carb are great motors also.

The comparisons on a general Optimax 225 or 250 should not even be mentioned as that dependability can be excellent or it could be terrible based on that particular engine. The range of dependability is wide on larger horsepower.

17. Member
    Thanks for the reply’s on this. I’ve pretty much decided to go with a 4-stroke. Now I’ve got to sell my Sabre and a jet river boat I’ve got so I can make a good down payment (can’t pay cash!��). I keep my boats and trucks forever so I need something that’ll last me 20 years like my Sabre.
    2019 Bass Cat Puma
    250 ProXS 4 Stroke

18. Member
    My 2008 225 Optimax was one of the best motors I've owned. That being said, I took it in to get the steel reeds replaced with fiber reeds and an annual service. I had the trailer bunk boards replaced as well. That set me back 2,000.00. I've not heard someone with a 4S needing injectors cleaned. That was the next thing coming on my 225 Opti. Maybe they haven't been out long enough? It's not like a 4S doesn't need maintenance, my 115 4S was about 350.00 for it's three year service. I can do the 4S myself. I will after it's out of warranty. I could not do all the 2S maintenance myself.

I fish with a guy that has a 2000 Opti...I think it's a 2000? His is still running. He only fixes stuff when it breaks...go figure LOL

I had a 150 and a 175 Opti that had serious issues fixed under warranty. If you are looking older the big things should have already broken. I'd want to see service records and have the Opti inspected. I'd own another, but I wouldn't pay the 4S prices.

If you can find and wish to pay for one with a 4S, that will never be a bad decision.
    On the other side, I have a ‘16 Opti 2S that’s closing in on 500 hours and it just runs and runs. Any can have issues but this one has been good to me.

Basscat Eyra
    Mercury 250 ProXS

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by n2ratfishin View Post
    My 2008 225 Optimax was one of the best motors I've owned. That being said, I took it in to get the steel reeds replaced with fiber reeds and an annual service. I had the trailer bunk boards replaced as well. That set me back 2,000.00. I've not heard someone with a 4S needing injectors cleaned. That was the next thing coming on my 225 Opti. Maybe they haven't been out long enough? It's not like a 4S doesn't need maintenance, my 115 4S was about 350.00 for it's three year service. I can do the 4S myself. I will after it's out of warranty. I could not do all the 2S maintenance myself.

I fish with a guy that has a 2000 Opti...I think it's a 2000? His is still running. He only fixes stuff when it breaks...go figure LOL

I had a 150 and a 175 Opti that had serious issues fixed under warranty. If you are looking older the big things should have already broken. I'd want to see service records and have the Opti inspected. I'd own another, but I wouldn't pay the 4S prices.
    What maintenance could you not do on the Optimax? I do all of my own on mine and it is very easy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast