Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mid-West Rally Moderator rudapa's Avatar

Ghost 360 a prelude to a 360 ducer?

So will Lowrance take the next step and offer a 360 transducer? Speculation?

2. Member
    I seem to remember that Johnson Group holds a patent or two that would make such a transducer quite expencive for Lowrance.

3. Mid-West Rally Moderator rudapa's Avatar
    The 3N1 spinning in it's own housing?

4. Member
    I hope they figure out how to get 360 into a ghost nosecone

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ilostmypistons View Post
    I hope they figure out how to get 360 into a ghost nosecone
    Wouldn't that be something. Guess Lowrance would get another graph buy from me.
    2021 Triton 20 TRX Patriot w/ 250 ProXS
    16” HDS Live at console
    12” & 9” HDS Live at Bow
    Ghost, Active Target, Atlas Hydraulic, and 8’ Blades

6. Member
    360 without a pole mounted on the trolling motor shaft would be excellent!

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bgibson View Post
    360 without a pole mounted on the trolling motor shaft would be excellent!
    We got that now with Ghost 360! The only thing is you cannot run your trolling motor while scanning.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by STRETCH1 View Post
    We got that now with Ghost 360! The only thing is you cannot run your trolling motor while scanning.
    Wouldn't it be awesome to have the transducer spinning inside the ghost nosecone or a motorized nosecone that spins! It would solve all the negatives of Ghost 360 and Humminbrd 360

9. Member
    Wouldn't it be awesome to have the transducer spinning inside the ghost nosecone or a motorized nosecone that spins! It would solve all the negatives of Ghost 360 and Humminbrd 360
    Yep, certainly. Kindof like a small radar dome on the trolling motor. The problem I could see is when the motor changes direction that it would throw off the circulating transducer. I thing they could afix that on the fixed portion of the shaft so the motor does not rotate it.

10. Member
    The transducer spinning in the nosecone would still have problems.

Let's say the transducer is spinning ...

How does it know which way is "forward"? I'm sure it could use software to learn the orientation of the trolling motor head.. but..

What happens if you turn the trolling motor head while the transducer is still spinning?

What happens if you're on spotlock where the trolling motor is constantly turning, but making relatively small adjustments.

I would be perfectly happy if they made a pole-mounted transducer for a true 360. I think they'd get more sales that way also. Lots of people with Lowrance units are not running the Ghost.
    2023 Puma STS

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TNReb View Post
    The transducer spinning in the nosecone would still have problems.

Let's say the transducer is spinning ...

How does it know which way is "forward"? I'm sure it could use software to learn the orientation of the trolling motor head.. but..

What happens if you turn the trolling motor head while the transducer is still spinning?

What happens if you're on spotlock where the trolling motor is constantly turning, but making relatively small adjustments.

I would be perfectly happy if they made a pole-mounted transducer for a true 360. I think they'd get more sales that way also. Lots of people with Lowrance units are not running the Ghost.
    I'm sure all the spinning problems could be solved by connecting to a point 1. I want everything in the nosecone including active target and I could live with a slight size increase if it meant no exposed wires.

12. Member
    I'm sure all the spinning problems could be solved by connecting to a point 1. I want everything in the nosecone including active target and I could live with a slight size increase if it meant no exposed wires.
    I think it'd be ideal to have it in the nose cone, I just don't think it's realistic. I agree you could probably detect the orientation from the Point 1, but the head constantly spinning would cause the same area to be re-scanned constantly and the image would be constantly messed up. You could attempt to patch images together, but I doubt it'd ever look good.

You'd have to leave the trolling motor head still long enough for it to make a complete scan - which is the same requirement as Ghost 360. I wouldn't spend money on something that only worked when the trolling motor head had to be still.

On the other hand, I'm also not paying $1500 for a "3d" transducer that lives on the bottom of the trolling motor and will inevitably be bumped on a stump or a rock. Banging a $300 transducer is one thing. Banging one that's $1500 is something I wouldn't risk.
    2023 Puma STS

13. Member
    I just talked to Lowrance today and plan to download the 360 software. Free is nice. Has anyone here been on the water with the new software. Positives, negatives.

14. Member
    No kidding...and that's the problem!

15. Mid-West Rally Moderator rudapa's Avatar
    That's the point - you have the display. Give us the option to buy a 360 ducer so it'll work while we are parked. I'm happy they did this from the demos I've seen and I have it set up and ready to go (March??). The next step is a separate transducer for full capability!

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bgibson View Post
    No kidding...and that's the problem!
    . Get a second trolling motor to position the boat as this ghost is only for 360.

17. Member
    Is free! Is free! ... When I hear "free", I understand that right now I am being robbed. This "free" from Lowrance will cost me the cost of another Ghost. And yes, of course it's free.)))

18. Mid-West Rally Moderator rudapa's Avatar
    Ha Ha - yea if you don't have a ghost TM with a 3N1 then it isn't free.

How does the Hummingbird 360 work if the tm is running? I am assuming it must have blurry picture also.
    Think about it
    Butch Derickson
    2011 Z521 w/250 hp SHO
    Traverse City, Michigan

20. Mid-West Rally Moderator rudapa's Avatar
    It spins separate on it's own pole.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast