2009 ZX225 am i propped correctly?

As title says i have a 2009 ZX225 with an F series 225 Yamaha 4 stroke. Model # F225TLR. Are there any techs that can answer a question im sure they get asked alot. I bought the boat with a 25 T1 on it. To me the boat is slower than it should be. At 6000-6200RPM im running 57-60mph depending on water conditions. I do carry a heavy tournament load alot of tackle. But usually never more than 1/2 tank of fuel. And this is with 2 people. Approximately 500lbs between 2 of us. Would a different prop increase my top end? Or is my top speed about right?
    Dustin Davis
    Fish the days no one else wants to!!

2009 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha 4stroke
    Minn Kota Ultrex
    HDS Gen3 12/HDS Carbon 9

2. Member
    I have an '05 with a 225 HPDI and the 25T1 is many people's preferred prop for my setup. Yours may be different.

Look up your gear ratio on your lower unit and use Mercury's prop slip calculator to see your efficiency. I think 12-15% is a decent number for a big skeeter, but could be wrong. Someone here could tell you what a good number would be. A high prop slip means something is not right.

One thing to check is that your actually seeing the rpm's you think you are seeing. My tach read 500 rpm higher than what I was actually doing. I now have my HPDI hooked into my NEMA backbone and get ECU info on my Lowrance. Another thing is to check if the prop is dinged up. After that would be improper weight distribution, and then having your prop balanced and blueprinted by someone good (Croxton). This is all assuming you have the correct prop for your boat. My gut says its not bad, but someone closer to your setup could give better info on that than I.