Ultrex Vs. Fortrex Length

This is maybe a dumb question, but does a 52" Ultrex have as much usable shaft length as a 52" Fortrex?

I'm looking to buy a Crestliner Bass Hawk, which has a bow that sits fairly high. For some reason you can't order it with an Ultrex. You can order it with a 52" Fortrex or a 60" Ulterra, Terrova, PowerDrive, or Xi5.

I just bought a 52" Ultrex MDI, and just wanted to make sure that should be OK.

Thanks!

2. Member
    I think the 52" will be too short. I had the same boat and I went with 60" terrova, the 52" will work on calm days soon as you have a little chop it will pop out. That fish hawk sits really high. The perfect size would be a 55-58" but the 60' works well, it will say in water no matter what.

3. Member
    This is what you have for an Ultrex. The Fortrex shaft and motor below the gunnel is about the same for free space below the gunnel.
    Here is the shaft lengths and something for you to go by.:
    The head uses 1" of the shaft. the depth collar and steering module uses approx. 12.25" and the shaft is epoxied 1.50" into the motor housing. allow a min of 3" below the head so that the depth collar is not riding against the head of the troll motor. Reason for the 3" is to make sure that the motor rest on the motor mount rest pads and not of the end of the mount. Not having the motor rest on the motor rest pads will damage the side plates and cause the latch bar to break and not latch the motor when it is stored. I seen it happen numerous times.
    A 45" shaft is 48" form the top of the motor housing to the end of the shaft
    A 52" is 54" and a 60 " is 62"
    Doing a little math will give you the free space of the motor and the shaft below the gunnel of the boat.
    Example: 1(for the head) + 3(for the open space) + 3 (for the depth collar) + 9.25" (for the steering module) = 16.25" used. this means that a 48" shaft will have 31.75" from the Gunnel to the to the top of the motor housing.
    I know that on certain boats and area that you fish in a 45" is all you need. However if you fish choppy water then you need to look at a longer shaft motor. 52" or 60" If there is any doubt then go with the longer to be safe.
    If you are concerned that casting will cause you to hit the troll motor head then you will need to adjust you casting angle. If this offends some people then it is what it is.
    Hope this helps.

4. Member
    I have a 80lb. 52" Fortrex on my 16.5 Lund Rebel XL SS aluminum boat, and its great but in rough water (2ft. chop) the prop does blow out. I think 60" would be better but any rougher and I'm getting off the water and/ or finding a calm cove to fish.

5. Member
    I appreciate all the replies, thank you!

I got a reply from Crestliner today. They said the 52" will be good for the vast majority of days. On high wind and big wave days, it may blow out. BUt as FrancoCialone said, those are the days I try to sleep in.

Funny story, I actually reached out to John Cox on instagram to ask him which length Ultrex length he used when he ran the Bass Hawk. He got back to me a few days later and was super nice. He said,"52 inches I think." His "I think" made me a bit nervous. ha. Looking at pics though, that's what it looks like he had.