2006 Mercury 250XS Racing

What would be the best additive to put in the gas for this motor? Just want to keep the parts clean on the inside. Also how often would you add it? Thank you

2. Member
    South of Baton Rouge but North of Plaquemine, LA

3. Member
    Mercury Quikcare and Quikleen in every tank,every time,in the recommended dosage.

4. Member
    I don't use either one and I run 2 Pro xs 250's just use good 2 stroke oil and you won't need them.
    04 521VX 250 Pro XS
    14 521C 250 Pro XS

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rip Bass View Post
    Mercury Quikcare and Quikleen in every tank,every time,in the recommended dosage.
    +1 I had a 2005 250XS Racing and ran the same mix in it for 12 years, no problems, run it in my 2016 300XS, no problems

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Those of us that see the injectors for these engines every day will definitely recommend specific additives.

Recommend checking out the FAQ Section on the Mercury 3L Forum (for all things related to 3L Optimax engine models).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

7. Member
    This, at minimum!
    2014 Phoenix 721XP, 250 SHO, Bobs Action Jack, Dual Blades, 112 Ultrex, 2019 Lariat FX4 F150 Supercrew 4x4

8. Member
    I had one and I would suggest cleaning and flow testing injectors every year. Might save you a powerhead down the road

9. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bustasack View Post
    I had one and I would suggest cleaning and flow testing injectors every year. Might save you a powerhead down the road
    Unless you're running 500+ hrs a year, that's really overkill.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

10. Member
    I have been running Don's cocktail since my motor was new and playing around in the shop pulled a couple plugs and scoped it and couldn't be happier with how it looked.
    2018 BASSCAT COUGAR FTD
    MERCURY 250 PRO XS 2B524980

11. Member
    I ran a 2002 Mercury 250XB, used Quickleen in every gallon of fuel (Non-Ethanol whenever possible even if it meant a longer drive) and it was still running strong when we parted ways last year... Never had a fuel related problem.
    2021 Skeeter ZXR-21 with 250 Yamaha SHO, Pro II Power Poles, Atlas Hydro Jack Plate