Lund High speed depth readings: transducer placement

I talked about this several years ago but at the time there were not many Prov bass owners here. I'm redoing my electronics and thought I would take another shot at getting high speed readings as my previous attempts all failed. Does anyone have success with high speed readings on the Lund and if so, could you share a pic of your transducer location?

2. Member
    I've never had much luck getting a consistent reading above 20 mph. It varies. Sometimes I will get a reading in the mid 30's. I don't know if it's a water quality thing. I haven't dove head first into trying to make adjustments and maximizing it. I do know that to get a good reading my high speed transducer needs to be far enough into the water that it's splashing quite a bit of water up the transom and into the air. I'm not comfortable with that much force acting on the transducer at high speeds so I keep it up higher. I'll have to dig up my photos somewhere of where mine is mounted.

I do recall reading about installing a Alumiducer by Vexilar and thought about trying it. Wonder if anyone here has.

3. Member
    Yeah, i had the same results basically with my previous setup. I bought a separate skimmer transducer to run a little lower. i'm not comfortable running my SI ducer that low as it will get broken at some point. I was about to pull the trigger on the vexilar deal but i kept getting mixed reviews on here and statements that Lund uses a double layer there and that air between the layers would keep it from working. I did try to put my skimmer in the hull and temporarily mounted it like you would any in hull transducer on a fiberglass boat and that did not work. i hear people say they get it to work at high speeds but i haven't been able to make it happen. If anyone does have success, could you please post a few pictures of your transducer setup.

4. Member
    My Lund when new always had a chart reading at high speed, but now loses the reading, still has the top left depth reading on screen, could this be a sign of a transducer out of adjustment or a failing unit or a too fast chart speed ? When slowing down to about 20mph, the reading comes back on to the screen, any ideas ?