Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Jordan vs Falls vs Harris

Heading to Raleigh/Durham in late April. Bringing the boat but have not fished there before. Any recommendations on Jordan vs Falls vs Harris Lake? Will only be there for a few days so probably will only have time for 1 lake.

2. Member
    I would probably go with Jordan. It’s not on you list, but honestly Kerr Lake on the N.C./Va border is hard to beat that time of year. Especially if the water is up and in the bushes any. Not that far of a drive from Raleigh.

3. Member
    Thanks I may check Kerr out. Still in the pre Spawn at that time or transitioning to spawn?

4. Banned
    Buggs island/Kerr is farrrrrrrrrrrr better than any of the other 3 especially that time of year. If the was is above full pool like it normally is you can flip bushes all day, throw topwater, spinnerbait and catch about as many as you want. The other 3 lakes still have big fish but are extremely tough these days. Buggs is a lot more fun

5. Member
    Most will be post spawn.

Quote Originally Posted by kb_rn View Post
    Buggs island/Kerr is farrrrrrrrrrrr better than any of the other 3 especially that time of year. If the was is above full pool like it normally is you can flip bushes all day, throw topwater, spinnerbait and catch about as many as you want. The other 3 lakes still have big fish but are extremely tough these days. Buggs is a lot more fun
    The bushes at Kerr can be fun for sure. Get there at the right time and it will be a blast. Of the three listed, I'd go based on if I was closer to Jordan or Falls. I've done about as well on both.
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    Mercury 250 ProXS Fourstroke
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

7. Member
    Trip got moved to up to April 8-12. Is Kerr still a better option than Jordan at that time?

If I was making a trip I’d be at buggs.

jordan is very tight. By the first of April every bass has been caught 27 times.

9. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by SteelBassin View Post
    Trip got moved to up to April 8-12. Is Kerr still a better option than Jordan at that time?
    buggs island(Kerr) is a better option ANY time!

10. Member
    So you on here are saying Kerr is better than Jordan & Sharon? I understand saying Sharon Harris. But Kerr is better than Jordan?

I’ve gotten some PM’s saying for someone to say that stupid crap on a public forum is ridiculous. So I’m going to ask. I know this is all a matter of opinion. But are they saying it’s better only in The spring or all The time? I’ve never been to Kerr but I assume I may need to take a trip someday to experience a different style of fishing.

I’ve not ventured away from Jordan,Falls or Sharon Harris yet. I think I will go to Kerr this year.
    Last edited by Eddie Bruhn; 02-03-2022 at 05:14 PM.

^^^^huh?
    first mention of Gaston
    2B576211

12. Member
    Thanks I meant Kerr. I just had a stress test done on my heart and I was stressed lol.

13. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Bruhn View Post
    So you on here are saying Kerr is better than Jordan & Sharon? I understand saying Sharon Harris. But Kerr is better than Jordan?

I’ve gotten some PM’s saying for someone to say that stupid crap on a public forum is ridiculous. So I’m going to ask. I know this is all a matter of opinion. But are they saying it’s better only in The spring or all The time? I’ve never been to Kerr but I assume I may need to take a trip someday to experience a different style of fishing.

I’ve not ventured away from Jordan,Falls or Sharon Harris yet. I think I will go to Kerr this year.

if you ever get away from those three overcrowded bodies of water you’ll enjoy fishing a lot better. Those Raleigh lakes just get absolutely pounded and are too small for the pressure they get. I would drive 2 hours to go to buggs over driving 15 minutes to go to Harris any day of the week. There are more fish in one creek arm on buggs than there are in Jordan falls and Harris put together. We have beat this subject to death but those of us that know what Harris, falls and Jordan used to be like know how disappointing going to those lakes is. If the water is up in the spring jordan is good and of course it still has big fish but it’s still nothing like it once was. Buggs is just a flat out fun place to fish and it’s BIG….so many ways to catch them there and you don’t have to worry about fishing behind 20 other people.
    Last edited by kb_rn; 02-03-2022 at 09:19 PM.

14. Mike Lamb
    IMO

if you are just wanting to catch fish. Yes Kerr or Gaston. I like both. But if you want to catch fish and have a chance of catching big bass. Jordan and/or Falls. Yes the 3 you mentioned are heavy pressured bodies of water. But if you are going fishing during the week. You will be good. I will take 5 bites at Jordan (20min drive) over 15 bites at Kerr/Gaston (1hr drive) any day of the week.
    Michael Lamb
    2017 / Ranger 518c 200 Mercury Pro XS
    Raleigh, NC

15. Banned
    Weren't you on here like 3 months ago saying how hard it was to get a bite? Just kiddin... but seriously

Quote Originally Posted by mike28nc View Post
    IMO

if you are just wanting to catch fish. Yes Kerr or Gaston. I like both. But if you want to catch fish and have a chance of catching big bass. Jordan and/or Falls. Yes the 3 you mentioned are heavy pressured bodies of water. But if you are going fishing during the week. You will be good. I will take 5 bites at Jordan (20min drive) over 15 bites at Kerr/Gaston (1hr drive) any day of the week.

16. Member
    I’d rather catch 25-50 bass per day being from 12” up to 3lb fish over catching 5 fish over 5 lbs up to 8 lbs. I’m not a big fish hunter. I’ve done it and I feel no need to catch big fish. Number is much funnier to me. But I’m the implant from Mo, Ar and Grand. We catch 50 fish a day is coming. What wheeler did on Table Rock isn’t anything really. Watch what happens when they hit a real big lake of lake of the Ozarks!

i myself appreciate the comments on here about Kerr and Gaston. Thanks everyone for The comments.

17. Banned
    Gaston seems to be getting better each year to catch numbers since somebody dumped those spotted bass in there. They whack a bait like they are a 5-7 pound fish and fight like heck. Thought i had a few really nice largemouth several times only to get it to the boat and it be a 2-3 pound spot. I personally like Kerr the best myself but do not have a lot of experience on Harris and Jordan to speak of. I fish Falls the most of those 3 and the days of catching numbers for me there have vanished. Use to catching 20-30 keepers was almost automatic at Falls but i have not adjusted i reckon like some who continue to catch numbers up there. Kerr to me is by far the best place to catch numbers, have fun and not be really bothered by boats. Just my 2 cents.

18. Member
    Being on Table Rock catching spots was easy. I’d say we had 65% spots and 35% large mouth. Now when I lived in Atlanta my god folks. You want to catch fish. Lake Lanier had so many 3-6 lb spots it’s crazy. You can almost always go out with an A rig and catch stripers up to 20+ lbs and 10-20 spots from 3-6 lbs. Living on Table Rock for so long and to say another lake has more spots that TR is something I never thought I’d say until I got Lanier down. It is just like in a different world with the numbers and tue sizes. I think Michael and myself will be going to Kerr and Buggs Island sooner than expected.

19. Member
    What are your thoughts as to the low numbers, not by weight, but fish caught in our local lakes? It appears to be either a big fish or none at all, especially for the weekend anglers. I am aware of vegetation change on Harris, but why Falls and Jordan? And yet, massive numbers of crappie are caught. They appear to be healthy bodies of water.
    Is it poor or lack of vegetation, purely fishing pressure etc…?
    Thanks

20. Member
    I appreciate all of the feed back. Coming from PA, we very few good close options. Looks like Kerr is the way to go… I’m not after a PB, just need to get out from the cold for a few days of fishing. Guess I gotta move south!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast