2001 pantera classic

Anyone still running one of the old classics? I just got a 2001 with the 2.5L 200 efi merc. Having trouble with holeshot and top end speed. I should have an 8inch bobs plate installed next few weeks. It has the factory slide master manual but dealer damaged it trying to raise motor so I am upgrading.

what should I expect speed wise on top end? Right now it has a 23 fury 3 blade For those that ran these old boats how about performance in the rough stuff say compared to some larger boats.

2. Member
    2.5's tend to struggle with holeshot but are usually good top end. 2" more set back should help. You may have to get your numbers after you add the plate and get your Fury worked a little by Mark or try a 24 or 25 Trophy.

3. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by willwork4fish View Post
    2.5's tend to struggle with holeshot
    Meh. Mine have always jumped out of the hole. It's all in proper setup.
    A 23p is way too small unless you are at high elevation or you and your fishing partner both weigh 350 plus.
    A four blade on that rig would be a criminal act. Those boats will jump out of the hole and absolutely fly with a tempest/fury and proper setup.
    They are hotrods.

4. Member
    Yeah I wouldn’t think a 2.5 would struggle with hole shot on a Classic. Seemed to me that the hole shot problems were on the P3s

5. Member
    I do have two raptors on the boat as well

Anything added to pre-pole and older designs will more dramatically effect hole shot. Dropping an inch of propeller solves some, changing propellers may be the option.

7. Member
    What should a round about top speed be

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ditchdiggerjcfII View Post
    Meh. Mine have always jumped out of the hole. It's all in proper setup.
    A 23p is way too small unless you are at high elevation or you and your fishing partner both weigh 350 plus.
    A four blade on that rig would be a criminal act. Those boats will jump out of the hole and absolutely fly with a tempest/fury and proper setup.
    They are hotrods.
    Depends on where you fish and what you're looking for about running a 4 blade. I ran a 25 Trophy and a 25 Hi5 on my '07 P2 with a 200 Opti (which I know is a 3L) with an 8" Bob's and the all around performance was better for me anyway with the Trophy in general and the Hi5 on the Great Lakes. A 26 Fury was only 4MPH faster (73) with a full load than the Trophy and the Trophy got up quicker and handled better.

9. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by willwork4fish View Post
    Depends on where you fish and what you're looking for about running a 4 blade. I ran a 25 Trophy and a 25 Hi5 on my '07 P2 with a 200 Opti (which I know is a 3L) with an 8" Bob's and the all around performance was better for me anyway with the Trophy in general and the Hi5 on the Great Lakes. A 26 Fury was only 4MPH faster (73) with a full load than the Trophy and the Trophy got up quicker and handled better.
    4mph is a yuuggge number for me. No way I am giving that up.

Better holeshot from a 4 blade is also a myth, IMHO.
    I have never seen it.

10. Member
    Similar to @willwork4fish, my '02 classic with a 3.0L 200 opti runs 70 loaded with a 26 Fury. Take the weight out and less fuel and start getting mid 70s.

11. Member
    My 2001 Classic with 2.5 liter merc ran best with a 25" Trophy all around. It had good hole shot, very nice top end in the 73-75 mph range, and great handling. A 25" tempest was also good on that setup. Now that was before power poles and a bunch of extra gadgets. My rig was pretty light and had a very strong motor on it. Boats gain weight with time and motors lose power over time so you may need to down size to a smaller prop. 23" Tempest or Trophy may be a good prop to try.
    Chris Coupel
    Paulina, La.

12. Member
    dads 2003 P3 with 200hp opti tops out about 65 for me with 2 people and not much fuel or tackle--seems slow but hole shot is great with 24p fury3 blade
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools